I want to take some 80's songs and cover them in ska, or maybe even punk.

I mean, besides just getting the key and chord progressions, what other techniques work with this? I'm just not that good at it.
really just take the lyrics out and start over, thats what they do most of the time
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
youve gotta make a bassline, then just upstroke the same chords in the song... and make a new rhythm for it
do cum on feel the noize
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
theres a sweet punk cover of Land Down Under from Men At Work,i think the cover is done by Pennywise
Empire Records one of the best films ever.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren.
His name isnt Warren?
I thouht his name was Warren?

"slayer sabbath:
whats wrong with metal, has this website been taking over by power chording, girl pants wearing, emos?"
God damnit. I hate Me First and The Gimme Gimmes. They do all the good songs, but don't even do them good.
man me and my band did a coolio gangsta's paradise and what we did was i learned the actual bass line first and then i just made it more jazzy with more jumping around i learned the key of each verse and gave it to my guitar player he came with the chords upstroking and my drummer just sped up u should listen to the sublime cover of gin and juice its really amazing and great
Quote by reeltimegetgo91
listen to the sublime cover of gin and juice its really amazing and great

thats not a sublime cover, its labeled that on p2p programs but its not them. maybe nofx. But check out Sublimes Cover of Rawhide, try and get the live version its way better.
The Berlin Project did Gin and Juice.

The Berlin Project blew (although to be fair, I found the cover amusing.)

I think "Build me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations would make a nice ska song, even though I generally hate ska covers. I just think that would be cool for some reason.

Wasn't Ivan Julien in the Foundations?
Just find the off beat of the song, and if you need to, 'double time it

I guess ska'ing things has come natural to me over time.
But I can make anything into ska.
David Bowie songs, Radiohead songs, System of a Down songs, Led Zeppelin songs...

EDIT:
Billy Joel songs?
Take the rhythm part, figure out the chords, and ska it.
Take the lead part, and have it on either another guitar, or brass section.
Simple.
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Last edited by Warm-And-Fuzzy at Jul 11, 2006,
Just do the Ska upbeat Ska Picking, add some Brass maybe have somone yelling oi a few times in the song and its been Skaified.

And I love this thread title.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
Quote by skateguitar7654
Just do the Ska upbeat Ska Picking, add some Brass maybe have somone yelling oi a few times in the song and its been Skaified.

And I love this thread title.

Who the **** yells "Oi!" in a ska song?

My tips:

1) Take the chords and make them upstroked barre chords.
2) Take any important single note melodies (lead guitar parts, for example) and turn them into horn lines.
3) Throw in some "hep"s, "pick it up"s, and any other assorted ska phrases and noises you can think of.

You've got a ska cover!

I've seen this formula work for "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas, "Dirty Little Secret" by the All-American Rejects, "Baby's Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot, and many other songs.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

I believe so.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
The Berlin Project did Gin and Juice.

The Berlin Project blew (although to be fair, I found the cover amusing.)

I think "Build me Up Buttercup" by the Foundations would make a nice ska song, even though I generally hate ska covers. I just think that would be cool for some reason.

I love you. I know several people who would help me with something like that...I'll see if I can do it, if I do, I'll post it...if you don't want to do it.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

I know there's a Build Me Up Buttercup cover floating around on the P2P programs.
I don't know who it's by - the P2P claims it's Save Ferris but it doesn't sound like Monique Powell.

*Then again, it isn't ska. It's a pop-punk song.*
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
I believe so.

That's what I thought, I just couldn't find anything about him online.

Quote by pistols
I love you. I know several people who would help me with something like that...I'll see if I can do it, if I do, I'll post it...if you don't want to do it.

If you want to do something like that then that would be awesome!

I don't have the mixing skills to pull off something like that.
k, keep the chord progression but change the power chords or whatevcer to barre chords or whatever ska chords you use. then for the bassline take the major scale of the chord and use some variation with the root 3rd 4th and 5th notes of it.

so if you take an a chord
e-5
b-5
g-6
d-7
a-7
e-5

and play something like this
g---------- g--------
d---------- and add in variations like this d-----------4
a--4-7-4- a--457---7-7
e-5------- e-5------5---
holy fuck its wayne brady!!!!
Quote by Prince
stop making ****ty ska songs

''
peace & chemicals
Quote by DopeDanny
theres a sweet punk cover of Land Down Under from Men At Work,i think the cover is done by Pennywise

i have a feeling it was spunge who did it it should be from there "that should cover it" album
Find the chords to the song and play them ska-style.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
Quote by DopeDanny

yeah thats pennywise, they played it when i saw em a few weeks ago. my suggestion would be, don't cover 80s songs like that. me first n the gimme gimmes are just terrible. but if you are gonna do it, basically take the chords n the lyrics n give it whatever rhythm you feel like playin
are there any horse socks? is anyone listening to me?
upstroke..
faster beat.. (sometimes)
trumpet, trombone, and stuff.....
let's just wait 'til my fingers bleed...