Page 1 of 2
I'm looking into 4x12 cabinets, and I'm wondering which company is better, as I've never used either, nor have I ever used an actual cabinet to the extent where I'd be knowledgable about it.

The ORANGE amps really intrigue me, The Fall of Troy uses them, and I like how they're not extremely well known like a company like Marshall is. Britain made, I've heard good things about them.

However, everyone seems to think Marshall makes some of the best amps out there.

Between the two companies, which one would you go with?
orange because i dont care for marshall's that much
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
orange, i love those amps. they have the best tone out there and they look great to boot.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
I don't think marshall make some of the best amps out there, IMO- at least their modern amps...

are you talking about amps or cabs? cos good amp makers don't necessarily make good cabs... (and vice versa)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm going for orange too, their sound really rules and I'm getting a bit tired of the marshall sound
as far as i see Marshall in some ways could be compared to a fashion.. i mean, yeh theyre agood. but people tend to lean towards their amps simply to be seen with a "Marshall" if you get me?
^ yes, agreed, but I still think ibanezzer needs to tell us whether it's amps or cabs he/she is looking at, since they're totally diffent (I think it's cabs, but it's pretty ambiguous). Ibanezzer also needs to tell us what music he/she plays, and what amp head he/she currently has, if we're talking about the cab.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play a lot of experimental, post-hardcore and alternative type stuff.

Currently playing on a Fender FM 212 R.

For Marshall, I'm looking at these cabinets:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MF400-Mode-Four-400W-4x12-Cab?sku=482743

And this head:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFX-Head-?sku=483103

If I went ORANGE, I'd get two of these cabinets:

Celestion 4x12 240 Watts
http://www.musictoyz.com/images/jpg/orange412.jpg

With this head:

AD30 30 Watt Head
http://www.musictoyz.com/images/jpg/orgamp2.jpg

OR

I could get one ORANGE 4x12 Cabinet, one Marshall Cabinet of similar specifications, and a head either by Marshall, ORANGE, or some other company. Combining Marshall and ORANGE sound.

Input?
Isn't the AD30 a solid state?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
DO NOT GET THE MG. EVER.

the ad is tube, as far as I know. (and I tried an ad15 combo, and it was tube, so...)

if you're ONLY picking from those two, get the orange, absolutely no contest. EDIT: comparing the orange AD30 to the Marshall MG is a bit like comparing a Porsche to a Lada. If the lada has a broken engine. and is actually a bicycle. with no wheels.

The marshall MG is awful. The AD is actually good.

what's your budget and are you willing to look into other brands (clue: you should be, assuming you can get other brands)?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, the ORANGE plan would cost me $3155, whereas the Marshall plan would cost a little over $1100.

I have no idea what you mean by solid state or whatever, I've only ever used combo amps.
The AD30 is in a differnet league to the MG, the overdrive is amazing but quite dark and squidgy. If you're looking for a nice bright crunch look somewhere else. The cleans are OK but nothing spectacular, I find them a bit too dirty for my liking.

But isn't the AD30 head like £500 more expensive than the MG?

EDIT: Ignore my last stupid statement I didn't see the post above.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
if ur gonna spend $3155 on an amp you had better not buy an mg or a mode four cab. for your tastes get a dsl or jcm 900 head and a 1960av cab. even then ud have a bunch of cash to spare.
well with that Orange and that marshall, The orange is the superior amp. They aren't even in the same league.
What's enough wattage to play a show the size of like, a high school gymnasium? I'd like to get set up with 2 cabs and a head with enough power that I could play a really small show, to a much larger show.
That AD30 is 30 watts? if so, that should do nicely, although a gymnasium should have some sort of PA system
He's not buying an ecstasy...

TS: I don't know what "Experimental,post hardcore alternative" is, but by the amps you've chosen i can guess someone a heavy rock type tone?

IN this case, i would have to go along with a peavey. JSX maybe, with a good chorus pedal for some nice clean tones, delay, maybe an AC Booster, and what not. Wah even, if that falls into the category of the music you're interested in.

However, as i examinined how much you were willing ot spend on the orange set up, i came up with a better idea...a rack setup! It's entirely up to you, and i'm sorry if this will confuse you even more, but the 3 grand could be put into a developing rack setup, as i find rack setups do have their place on stage, and in the studio. It'll give you a wider tonal pallete, which will let you access more tones, as your musical tastes develop.

In terms of a rack setup, i would have to recommend a good marshall setup:
Marshall JMP-1, and
Any Marshall el-34 power amp.
With the remaining cash, get any 412 cab with v30's preferably, and then some pedals to

I don't know how much the power amp is, the jmp should be around 1.2/1.1 grand...usd, and i think it'll suite you a lot better.
Cheers, and good luck.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
Quote by FallOfTroyIV
Orange, Im also a big TFOT fan good stuff

Seen them three times! Met them all in Mass.

Anyways, I think I want to still go for an orange set up, however that $3000 or however much it was, was the total of the completed set up. I'll buy a cabinet here, then a head, then the final cabinet over a span of time.

ORANGE amps are still being made, right? I see them on eBay and the titles are like "RARE amp!" blah blah, but I've found them other places, however there are only a few places I've found.

As for live, would two cabinets be enough?
Mmm Orange

Yeah 2 cabs would be enough depending on how much power the head has
Orange is the shiz... i think its a better value than Marshall personally... and yes.. they look a hell of a lot cooler than just a black and gold Marshall...
Quote by die_kenny_die
ok, don't you NEED an erection before penetration?? lol. anyways, condoms do occasionally break, and you CAN get her pregnant but you probably didn't. but make her go get the morning after pill. or fall down stairs. or something.
Quote by power freak
The AD30 is in a differnet league to the MG, the overdrive is amazing but quite dark and squidgy. If you're looking for a nice bright crunch look somewhere else. The cleans are OK but nothing spectacular, I find them a bit too dirty for my liking.

+1 basically, squidgy is about right, lewis- nice adjective, lol. I quite like the cleans, but agreed, it's very much an aquired taste.

But if you're willing to go to $3000, there are loads (like at least 20, if not 50) amps that you should be looking at- it's certainly not just a choice between the orange and the MG, lol.

Oh, and one cab would be plenty for live use, I'd have thought...

EDIT: oh, and they're still making them. Have you tried the rockerverbs? they're very nice, IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 basically, squidgy is about right, lewis- nice adjective, lol. I quite like the cleans, but agreed, it's very much an aquired taste.

But if you're willing to go to $3000, there are loads (like at least 20, if not 50) amps that you should be looking at- it's certainly not just a choice between the orange and the MG, lol.

Oh, and one cab would be plenty for live use, I'd have thought...

EDIT: oh, and they're still making them. Have you tried the rockerverbs? they're very nice, IMO.

Well, if I went orange, I'd buy at least the cab and the head, then probably almost a year later buy the second cab, but that's only because the set up I want is quite expensive in the ORANGE line. The Marshall plan I had laid out was almost the same wattage, but much cheaper.

I'd only be willing to spend $3000 or so only on the ORANGE line, oh and I'm only capitalizing ORANGE because that's how the company does it.

Basically I'm looking for something that will be good live, and something that can stack, as my Fender amp just sits on the ground, and you can only hear some notes (when you play heavier chords) if you get right in front of it, hearing the full sound, so if you're standing above the amp, so your ear level is much higher, it sounds really bad. So I'd like to get some height with the new amps so the crowd, however large or small they'll be, will hear the full sound the guitar parts, not to mention something really loud as I maybe playing larger shows, opening for popular local bands.

I looked towards ORANGE because everyone says they're awesome and one of my favorite bands use them, and they sound kickass live.
^ yeah, but the marshall sounds like crap.

No offence, and no disrespect meant, but I think you're looking at things the wrong way.

Instead of saying "i'd spend $3000, but only on THIS amp" you should be saying

"am I willing to spend $3000?"

If the answer is "yes" (even if it's "yes, but only on the ORANGE"), then you should research into EVERY amp there is at that price, and try as many as is feasible, without having to book a round-the-world trip.

Seriously, there are amps that I guarantee that you've probably never heard of that kick all kinds of ass, and might do the tone you want better than the orange.

They may not, but you won't know until you try them.

EDIT: and who all says orange are kick-ass? They are, by the way, but at $3000, pretty much everything is kickass, assuming they're geared towards the tones you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Threadstarter, you need to look round at amps more, if you've got a lot to spend, play as much as you can, and don't even acknowledge that MG's exist.

Don't decide you want something if you haven't tried it, or don't know what it actually is.
Try loads out, get a bit more educated.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah that's what i was thinking i mentioned bogner head and an orange cab. if you're willing to spend $3000 on a damn good setup, then look broader and not just mg or orange. maybe save up just a bit more to play it safe money wise when all is said and done.

If you don't know the difference between a SS and a tube amp, don't waste $3100 on gear.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Threadstarter, I will say this. The Orange will do post hardcore and expirimental well but you're gonna have to look into other amps. You may end up finding out that you like the orange the best but you may end up finding another amp that does it well. There are post-hardcore bands that use AC-30's and JCM 800 so you should try those out. Just play some songs you like and see if the amp handles it well.
I will say this, I already know I don't know much about amps, this is why I'm asking. I've only ever used combos. I only said $3000 on ORANGE because that would get me what I wanted, but I wouldn't spend that right away not knowing anything about the amp, I just had the idea in my head. I've personally heard ORANGE amps in action and quite like them, however I've only tried and heard a small range of amps.

As for difference in tube and SS, why don't you tell me the difference rather than just pointing it out?

I found an ORANGE dealer only miles away, suprisingly, at a place I've never heard of, so I plan to try them out myself.
Don't most hardcore style bands use the Rockerverbs rather than the AD's. I think the AD's are more suited to classic/hard rock whereas the Rockerverb's have more gain and will do heavier styles, but they're not really voiced for modern metal.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^Yup.

Threadstarter, broaden the brands you're looking at, don't just look for Oranges because you've heard they're good or heard them before, you need to play a load of amps and see what you like most for you.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Also, if you don't know much about amps, I'd suggest learning more about amps. Do some research and play alot of amps. Read up on the difference between SS and tube and you may find that you like a combo more than the Orange.
Quote by Connorcore
Also, if you don't know much about amps, I'd suggest learning more about amps. Do some research and play alot of amps. Read up on the difference between SS and tube and you may find that you like a combo more than the Orange.

Yeah, I saw Weezer live and they were using fender twin reverbs, the same size or smaller than my amp, with microphones in front of them to amplify the huge speakers in that civic center.
Well since you going for the cab first get the orange, IMO some of the best cabs you can get, even though there a tad heavy.
Epi Zakk Wylde LP
Schecter C1 Elite
Fender 70's Strat
Orange AD30 Head w/Orange 412 Cab
Fender Hot Rod De-Ville 2x12
Various Pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, but the marshall sounds like crap.

No offence, and no disrespect meant, but I think you're looking at things the wrong way.

Instead of saying "i'd spend $3000, but only on THIS amp" you should be saying

"am I willing to spend $3000?"

If the answer is "yes" (even if it's "yes, but only on the ORANGE"), then you should research into EVERY amp there is at that price, and try as many as is feasible, without having to book a round-the-world trip.

Seriously, there are amps that I guarantee that you've probably never heard of that kick all kinds of ass, and might do the tone you want better than the orange.

They may not, but you won't know until you try them.

EDIT: and who all says orange are kick-ass? They are, by the way, but at $3000, pretty much everything is kickass, assuming they're geared towards the tones you want.

Quote by SamDking
Don't most hardcore style bands use the Rockerverbs rather than the AD's. I think the AD's are more suited to classic/hard rock whereas the Rockerverb's have more gain and will do heavier styles, but they're not really voiced for modern metal.

Instead of doing that $3000 or whatever plan, I'll look towards and research the rocker head.

Instead of two big cabs, I'll get the 4x12 then the 2x12 on top, with the rocker head to follow. Saving me a lot of money. But, is this possible? Using a 4x12 and a 2x12 with the same head etc.?

That's if I like the cabs and the head, I'll definitely try everything out before I buy though. Thanks for help everyone!

Edit: The new amp set up idea will save me over $500 if I decide to get it.
Last edited by ibanezzer at Jul 12, 2006,
ibanezzer, just because you have seen your favourite band use an amp dosent mean that its the best amp. listen to everyone here and widen your search. try some older marshalls such as the jcm800 or 900s.

If an amp is used in a big venue it will be going through the PA system. it will have been EQd by the engineer and the PA will be graphed so it wont sound the same as just the amp on its own.

oh and one more thing. (this is a trade secret btw so shhhh!!) alot of the amps used on stage are empty cabinets and somewhere off the side there is a little combo sitting in a box with a microphone next to it.

edit: yes the 4x12 and the 2x12 will work if they are both the same power and ohm rating
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by loki_lulamen
ibanezzer, just because you have seen your favourite band use an amp dosent mean that its the best amp. listen to everyone here and widen your search. try some older marshalls such as the jcm800 or 900s.

If an amp is used in a big venue it will be going through the PA system. it will have been EQd by the engineer and the PA will be graphed so it wont sound the same as just the amp on its own.

oh and one more thing. (this is a trade secret btw so shhhh!!) alot of the amps used on stage are empty cabinets and somewhere off the side there is a little combo sitting in a box with a microphone next to it.

edit: yes the 4x12 and the 2x12 will work if they are both the same power and ohm rating

Yes, I know, I've heard about widening my search, but first I'd like to try ORANGE before I go looking into a lot of other brands, it'd be pointless if I found out I loved the ORANGE line.

I never said just because my favorite band plays them I'm going to get them. I've said that since my favorite band uses them, and I've heard the sound of the orange amp live three times, and everyone on the board is saying ORANGE is really good, I've decided to seriously look into them, with a plan on what I might be getting, IF I even like them.

As for big venues having a PA system, the places I'll be playing won't be anything like that, yet.

Thanks for the input, I will look into those Marshall models you mentioned.
Page 1 of 2