Let's say I wanna play some System of a Down on bass, they usually use CGCF (low to high) and I use normal sized strings.. is that bad for the strings or the neck or something else on the bass? I don't wanna buy thicker/thinner strings because I usually use standard tuning, only changing for SOAD.. so, will that be bad for the bass/strings?
Dont think so but if you leave your bass for a long time without playing it then you should loosen the strings beforehand.
Originally posted by: rich sg
And God said unto Jesus: "Son, is there anything you want to talk about?"
And Jesus replied: "Get off my back, Dad! Judas Priest your such a frickin' homophobe! FACE!"
And so Jesus was crucified.
No, basically. It's not a big deal. You're gonna get people saying "it'll ruin your neck" and that you should adjust your truss rod but as you say it's only to play a few songs. I tend to play tuned to C standard, even for bands where the bassist uses a dropped tuning suck as SoaD or RatM. There's not really any benefit to using a dropped tuning on a bass. You might find the strings are too loose to get a good tone, or just don't feel great, but I take it from your post that you have tried this tuning and haven't had any problems.
Quote by smb
No, basically. It's not a big deal. You're gonna get people saying "it'll ruin your neck" and that you should adjust your truss rod but as you say it's only to play a few songs. I tend to play tuned to C standard, even for bands where the bassist uses a dropped tuning suck as SoaD or RatM. There's not really any benefit to using a dropped tuning on a bass. You might find the strings are too loose to get a good tone, or just don't feel great, but I take it from your post that you have tried this tuning and haven't had any problems.

No I haven't tried it cause I'm afraid it would snap the neck or the strings or something, ah I dunno :P so it's ok to do that?
^it certainly wont snap the neck...after all you're loosening the strings, why would the neck snap?

even if you were to do something weird with strings (like I did once, trying to tune my 6 string one octave up, to sound like a guitar) the worst thing that will happen (short term) will be strings snapping...When tuning to a dropped tuning the action and the neck will feel slightly different over time...very slowly over a span of time, the neck relief and the action will feel different but usually you cant notice the change as it occurs (because it happens slowly)...and like smb said the strings will be very floppy and loose and it would be better to get thicker gauge strings if you like tense, tight strings that stay that way during dropped tunings....
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I don't know why it "would" snap, I'm a noob, I don't know much :P thanks for the answers guys
No problem. If you're tuning up then it's an issue because you're stretching the strings more and putting more strain on the neck. Or if you were tuning this way permanently you'd want to either put on heavier strings or adjust the trussrod.
Unless you're playing along with the recording then you don't have to tune to drop C....you could just tune to drop D and it would save alot of time and effort. But to answer your question, no...it will not destroy your bass.

i have 45s and tune my bass to A
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Dropping all the way down to C seems quite radical to me. You can try if you like, for as already stated, there is no risk involved. You will find, however, that your setup will be completely off. Here's what will happen: strings will swing in a much bigger amplitude, most probably making a horrible rattling noise while hitting the frets. The truss rod suddenly misses a lot of pull from the strings so that the neck assembly finds another equilibrium with the fretboard bulging up, worsening the rattling of the strings even more. That the strings are now so slack that the fretted notes won't come up to pitch will hardly be noticed in all this rattling of metal on metal.
Problem is always that alternative tunings require alternative setups. Going down four half steps definitely takes more fumbling around than just slackening the tuners.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Jul 12, 2006,
^...my bass goes from A to standard without needing anything major doing to it..... theres still a significant tension on the neck, its not like the strings are falling off the fretboard and scraping the floor
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Really? You mean from E all the way down to A, so seven half steps without the strings hitting the frets? And how about intonation? Or is it perhaps that you and your audience just don't give a sod?