i just now got my vintage g-400 epi like literally 2 minutes. everything is great except that 1.on the left side of the neck there is a spot about half the size of a dime that is really shinier, way shinier than the rest of the neck, what the hell?
and 2. i tried to put a strap on it and play it and its extremely hard, if u let go of the neck it nose dives. any suggestions or tips. thanks
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
is it factory new or factory second? cause if it's a second then that spot is the reason. and most if not all sg's hav that nose dive problem, its because the body is so light compared to thte neck
its factory NEW, and can anyone tell me what to do about the spot or how to help me with puttin a strap on and tryin to play like that
Lunatics on pogo sticks
I say just hold on to the neck when the strap is hooked up.

About the spot on the neck, does it affect the playability? If not, then don't worry about it.
why the hell does the shiny spot matter

and just get used to the strap problem
Where did you buy it from? You could probably send it back and get a new one. As for the nose dives all sg's do that.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
You could try scrubbing off some of the laquor on the area that's shinier.

SGs are neck heavy. There isn't a whole lot you can do other than find a strap that stays put on your shoulder and holds it well.
youlls just have to get used to it inless you absolutly can't stand it, then just get a new strap button set (or schaller strap locks they have them included) and install them on front of the top horn.

and for the dot, maybe take som fine sandpaper to try to dull it? or just get used to it. it migh just go way from frequent use, i don't know
Quote by Midnight_spooks
youlls just have to get used to it inless you absolutly can't stand it, then just get a new strap button set (or schaller strap locks they have them included) and install them on front of the top horn.

and for the dot, maybe take som fine sandpaper to try to dull it? or just get used to it. it migh just go way from frequent use, i don't know

YOu couldnet install strap buttons on the horns because there to thin
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
You can move the button onto the horn - Tony Iommi always has (and had) this done to his SGs. It's one for the professionals though.
do any of you have sg's? how did u get used to the neck problem?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
I do. It's not a problem when you're playing because you're holding the neck. You've jsut gotta remember not to let it drop when you go to do something (like adjusting eq). You'll probably want to try a couple of different straps to find one that stays put on your shoulder.
my strap stays put on my shoulder, but it seems like the center of gravity of the guitar is to the left since the neck is heavy and its harder to play. anyone have an sg that has a strap that works good?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Sorry to hear your not happy, but this is the reason that most people when giving advice on buying a new guitar state that you should see and play the guitar before you buy it.

If I were you I'd send it back and get a refund, then go to a shop and try everything in your price range and buy the one you like best.

Good luck.
free, i love the guitar, i just hadnt played it in the store with a strap on, thats the only thing im not in love with
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Oh I see, sorry. When you mentioned a flaw in the finish I presumed you'd bought it mail order.

The same advice applies though mate. If you're unhappy take it back. Do you think it's something you'll get used to or will it hinder your playing? I wouldn't worry about the finish, I doubt it'll affect the tone.
I wouldn't worry about the spot either. As far as the nose dives, you'll get used to that too. I love my SG. You could tie the end under the strings behind the nut, acoustic style. Might work?