Page 1 of 29
There have been way too many Sonic Youth threads popping up around here. As much as I love Sonic Youth, this forum needs to stay clean and organized, so here we have the ONLY SY thread. SO EVERYONE POST IN HERE

Many people ask what songs/albums should I listen to, well here is a list that I have created. If anyone has any suggestions, post it and give your reasons and it'll be considered.

Essential SY albums (chronologically):

Bad Moon Rising
Evol
Sister
Daydream Nation
Goo
Washing Machine
Murray Street

Good Starters:

Goo
Dirty
Daydream Nation
Rather Ripped

Good starting songs:

Teenage Riot
Eric's Trip
Dirty Boots
Reena
Wish Fulfillment
Schizophrenia
Tom Violence
Bull in the Heather
Kool Thing
Saucer Like
The Diamond Sea
(additions are needed here)

Songs they are playing on their tour that you should listen to (not on new album):

Schizophrenia
Eric's Trip
Mote
Shaking Hell
Catholic Block
Brother James

History:

Sonic Youth first formed in 1981. Originally Kim Gordon (bass), Thurston Moore, (guitar) Lee Ranaldo (guitar), and Richard Edson (on drums). They recorded their Self Titled EP (1982) on Glenn Branca's Neutral Label. Richard Edson left the band (to pursue an acting career. His most notable role being in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and was replaced by Jim Sclavonous. With Jim, they recorded Confusion is Sex (1983) . Once again the drummer left and was replaced by Bob Bert. Bad Moon Rising (1984) was recorded. For the final time the drummer was replaced by Steve Shelley. He drummed on Evol (1986). He has stayed with them through the rest of their existence. They finished out the decade with Sister (1987) and and their most, rightfully, critically acclaimed Daydream Nation. Daydream Nation (1988) is widely considered their best album, and one of the most accessible (as for as accessible and experimental/noise go). Throughout all of the albums of this decade you can hear the difference in drumming. You can also hear Sonic Youth develop and change their sound as they grew (compare Confusion is Sex to Daydream Nation. Big difference).

Sonic Youth started out the 90's with their major label record, Goo (1990, Geffen). Sonic Youth have stayed on Geffen since Goo to their most current release (Rather Ripped). Sonic Youth switched to a major label to bring their music to a broader audience. Dirty (1992) was released. Their music matured, and became more accessible. Don?t let anyone tell you they sold out. They didn?t. Sonic Youth are a dynamic band who are always changing. Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star (1994) was released 2 years later. It is, considered by many, one of their least favorite Sonic Youth records. But it did signal Sonic Youth becoming comfortable with themselves, doing what they wanted. And after achieving this, they recorded Washing Machine (1995) another one of their most critically acclaimed albums. After WM a series of recordings were released on their own SYR label (Sonic Youth Recordings). SYR 1: Anagram (1997) SYR 2:Slaapkamers Met Slagroom (1997) and SYR 3: Invito Al Cielo w/ Jim O'Rourke (1998) were all explorations of soundscapes. A Thousand Leaves (1998) was released, and signaled a more mellow Sonic Youth, this album SYR 4: Good Bye 20th Century (1999) was a record of reinterpretations of 20th century composers' pieces.

The new decade started with Jim O'Rourke on New York City Ghost and Flowers (2000) as producer, as well as adding bass and electronics, he toured with Sonic Youth playing bass and guitar. NYC G&F was not taken as well by the public as others. Jim O'Rourke was added as an official member on Murray Street (2002). He played on the tour, in some cases when one bass was needed, allowing Kim to dance free of her bass. Sonic Nurse (2004) continued the mellow mature music that Sonic Youth has been creating for the past 10 years (sorry the SY website hasn't been updated in 2 years so you'll have to settle for wikipedia unless someone can send me a better link). Rather Ripped (2006) saw the original line up of Sonic Youth when Jim departed to pursue his own career. It also saw the return of a more rock sound, while still remaining Sonic Youth. Mark Ibold of Pavement is touring with them to replace Jim's parts on tour. Sonic Youth's future is unknown, now that their contract with Geffen is up. Perhaps they will resign, use their own label, or who knows?

They're on Matador, the Eternal, blah blah blah, you guys are all up to date right?

Pictures of their secret show in LA

Kim dancing. Jams Run Free

jon edit: I tried merging this with the other threads, and I messed up a bit!

I am very sorry to Dorkus and Andrew.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Jun 29, 2009,
great article alex!

All the albums are essencial for one to understand Sonic Youth's sound evolution...

Sister is a pretty good starter too!
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
For starter songs, I would say Sugar Kane as it was one of the first that I heard and I remember really liking it then. I think this thread is a good idea, well-written introductory post DorkusMalorkus! Answers some of my questions too, I always forget which SY albums are the best to get next when I see them in shops.
Yeah, well done, thanks a lot
As Jon edited, the merging threads messes everything up, it does it in chronological order so your first post here will show up a long way through the thread. So if you want to copy stuff into here from other threads or carry on a topic, you're going to have to start again.
Cheers,
Andrew
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Sonic Youth is apparently going to be on the Jimmy Kimmel show tonight. Thought everyone would like to know...
Oh yeah. I knew I forgot to include something. I was really pissed because I found out you have to be 16 to get into that. I would have gone otherwise.
and yeah, about the best sonic youth love song. it's a cover of a carpenters tune. it's called Superstar and it's badass.
Is that you, John Wayne?..Is this me?
But that isn't a Sonic Youth song.

Thats like:

"Whats the best sonic youth love song?"
"The one they didn't write"
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
allowing Kim to dance free of her bass.

sorry, i had to throw that in there. great job on the thread though

how was jimmy kimmel? i had to work, so i missed it
Damn, I want Tivo..

I haven't really listened to SY much. I'm going to the CD store today, so I might pick up an album or two.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
But that isn't a Sonic Youth song.

Thats like:

"Whats the best sonic youth love song?"
"The one they didn't write"

so what. it's the best sonic youth love song that they recorded. i can't think of anyone that even compares.
Is that you, John Wayne?..Is this me?
Quote by chrus
so what. it's the best sonic youth love song that they recorded. i can't think of anyone that even compares.

What do you mean "so what"? It isn't a Sonic Youth song. That is all I'm saying.

As for love songs they have written. How about Kotton Krown?
Quote by Cadd99
Why is there still another bassist in addition to Kim?

Jim O'Rourke joined the band in the year 2000, and they started writing songs with two basses. Now that he left after the Nurse tour, they needed someone to fill in for Jim's parts. Mark Ibold (who was in Free Kitten with Kim) joined for this tour to fill in those parts, as well as songs where only 1 bass was needed, allowing Kim to just sing, without having to play bass.
Well, today I picked up Dirty. I think its really good. What album should I get next?
I personally love Confusion as Sex/Kill Yr. Idols, but you might want to go for something like Daydream Nation next. Or Washing Machine.
Quote by slinks
I personally love Confusion as Sex/Kill Yr. Idols, but you might want to go for something like Daydream Nation next. Or Washing Machine.

CIS/KYI might be a little much for him, now.

AWA, if you don't have it yet, Daydream Nation. If you do have that, go with Washing Machine, or Evol.
Thanks.
When I get some cash, I'll go out and buy Daydream Nation.

I was about to buy Confusion is Sex, but it costed more than Dirty, and I'd heard great things about Dirty.
The list and history are great except I can't believe that Sister was left out of essential albums. I mean it's been widely hailed as one of the two "classic" Sonic Youth albums along with daydream nation, and I'd have to agree that it's better than anything on that list with the exception of DN.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Yea, Sister is for sure one of the greatest alternative albums of the 1980's. If you like Dirty, Daydream Nation, and Evol you really dig Sister. Its got all the classics: Schizophrenia, (I Got A) Catholic Block, Pacific Coast Highway, and of course Cotton Crown.
Why is sister like the hardest SY album to find in the shops? I mean in HMV the other day, they had confusion is sex and all sorts of wierd old things. I don't see why it isn't more popular.
"He who is tall, is not small"
Hey, last time I went to the record store, all they had was Dirty and CIS. I bought Dirty, of course. I'm so glad I did.

So, umm..
In other Sonic Youth news, this morning I made a SY DIY T-shirt. It's pretty spiffy.
I made one myself last year, it was ****. made the one with the jack..
yeah I made on with one of those things but the printing got all crusty and looked really bad
Can anyone tell me how to go about making a shirt? Or if it's even worth it?
Well if you get good at it with something like a screen printer, it is really worth it because it would only cost less that $3 dollars to make a shirt, and you could design all of them. But that is with a screen printer which would cost you in the beginning. I found a $50 one somewhere...I should have bought it.
Songs they are playing on their tour that you should listen to (not on new album):

Schizophrenia
Eric's Trip
Mote
Shaking Hell
Catholic Block
Brother James

So are those likely to be the only songs not from the new album that'll be played when I see them next month?
Last edited by trev_smith12 at Jul 20, 2006,
Quote by trev_smith12
So are those likely to be the only songs from the new album that'll be played when I see them next month?

They will likely be the only song NOT from the new album, also I think Kool Thing is on that list. But the new album is great live, so you'll probably enjoy it.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
They will likely be the only song NOT from the new album, also I think Kool Thing is on that list. But the new album is great live, so you'll probably enjoy it.

Whoops, that's what I meant. Ok that'll be a pretty good setlist, though I'd love to hear 'Cross The Breeze, The Diamond Sea, and I Love You Golden Blue.
The Diamond Sea. Who agrees with me that this is the best song ever?
"He who is tall, is not small"
hmm, I don't... more like Washing Machine is the best song ever
Quote by trev_smith12
Whoops, that's what I meant. Ok that'll be a pretty good setlist, though I'd love to hear 'Cross The Breeze, The Diamond Sea, and I Love You Golden Blue.
I Love You Golden Blue wasn't that great live. I saw it on the Nurse tour. It wasn't bad at all, and the video that they had playing in the background fit very well with it, but it wasn't amazing either.

Quote by sponj
hmm, I don't... more like Washing Machine is the best song ever

Those are the best two on that album.