i was playing on a 12 string ibanez today and i really liked the sound and only needed 3 notes to make something cool.

But it wasnt cheap(350?).

Is it usefull for long term use? I mean can you use for everything that you would do with a 6 string?
lol, well a 12 string is certainly not a "gimmick." you can play pretty much anything that can be played on a 6 string on a 12 string and vice versa. some songs sounds better on 12 string and some sound better on 6 string though.
Lead lines on a 12 string are an acquired skill, but chordal stuff sounds lush and gorgeous on a 12 string.
Hi, I'm Peter
meh, anyone who can play a 6 string can play a 12 string. good for some stuff although nothing really all that different from a 6.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Lead lines on a 12 string are an acquired skill, but chordal stuff sounds lush and gorgeous on a 12 string.

Agreed. may i ask if its an acoustic, semi-hollow or solidbody? not that it has anything to do with it i just wnat to know... i've got an acoustic electric myself only cost me $100 and it sound magnificent
Quote by wingedgopher
meh, anyone who can play a 6 string can play a 12 string.

with practice
Quote by M3T4L H34D
Agreed. may i ask if its an acoustic, semi-hollow or solidbody? not that it has anything to do with it i just wnat to know... i've got an acoustic electric myself only cost me $100 and it sound magnificent

I tried the electric Strat-style Fender 12 string. Wasn't impressed. I prefer acoustic 12 strings. I haven't tried the Rickenbacker one, though.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by jimtaka
with practice

Anyone can play anything with practice...but No there not a gimmick rather just a preference Some people like em and some dont...and as for usefull there about as usefull and a 6 string
Last edited by GsKoRn1 at Jul 11, 2006,
that's a discussion for me. i wanna have 12-string too, but some said that it is useless, that it's better to have 6-string.
it is difficult to jump from 6 to 12? well, i know that you need practise for everything.
^-- it's not difficult, it just takes a little getting used to.
i find it hard to barr my 12 string V302 ... i'd have to put a LOT more strength into it.... and then i'd get tired after half an hr...

but yes it IS very useful esp i play a lot of chords in church stuff
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild