Hey Everyone...My band just recently lost our lead singer, and I've just met up with one of my old friends from elementary in summer school. The first time i heard her sing in about 3 years I thought "Amy Lee", and she is also a kick ass keyboard player.
The problem however, is that we play metal, like metallica and slayer. And she has pretty much insisted that she plays keys for the band as well as sing. And the rest of us(me, the rhythm guitar, bass and drums) are worried about changing genres, because if she sounds like Amy Lee and has to play keyboards, we might just end up sounding like Evanescence, which I know none of us want.

So do we mold the band to let her in since she has such a good voice, or do we not let her in because we dont want to change, or do we try to talk her out of wanting to play the keys?

thx in advance for the advice.
You can have keys in a metal band.

I don't want to start a war about who's metal and who's not, but I believe both Children of Bodom and Sonata Arctica use keyboard (definitely the latter).

And a strong, beautiful voice can still coexist with metal music.
Yeah man alot of good bands use female vocals and keyboards...like the bands mentioned before and Battlelore...
Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Omnium Gatherum, Nightwish, Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Opeth all use keys.

Lacuna Coil, Theatre of Tragedy, Nightwish, and a few other bands have female vocals.

Be a melodic death/prog/doom (whichever you prefer) band with female singing vocals (since I don't think she wants to do creaming like Arch Enemy).
Keyboard + Metal + Girl Voice = God Metal Songs

Take for instance...Cradle of Filths - Nymphetamine

Listen to that, it's god.
Quote by Scourge441
Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Omnium Gatherum, Nightwish, Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Opeth all use keys.

Lacuna Coil, Theatre of Tragedy, Nightwish, and a few other bands have female vocals.

Be a melodic death/prog/doom (whichever you prefer) band with female singing vocals (since I don't think she wants to do creaming like Arch Enemy).

Nice one.
Quote by TSelman
Keyboard + Metal + Girl Voice = God Metal Songs

Take for instance...Cradle of Filths - Nymphetamine

Listen to that, it's god.

No.

Quote by Feel bad inc.
its do able or you could create your own genre?

If you go around saying you created a new genre, people will thin you're arrogant douchebags. Stick with the basics.
^ yeah, theres already too many genres and sub genres (which i personally can't stand) just try to have her sing like someone other than amy lee (and if she really is as good as you say it shouldn't be hard) its one of those things where you need to serve the song and whether she's sounding like amy lee, the chic from drain, courtney love, the chic from kitty or freakin' ella fitzgerald she shouldn't sound the same on every song (which is my one major complaint about amy lee, great you can sing in a minor key the exact same way on every song, congrats dink.....)
There are plenty of metal bands with keys in them.

even some really heavy metalcore and grindcore bands have keys in them without sounding too poppy or girly.

and if you're really worried just dont let her play keys for the whole song, maybe have some intros with the keys or something.
lol ok guys thx...ill try her out on keys and singing, but if it doesn't work out, i'll just ask her to sing
ask her to play the keys on slow songs only, and to get a more grisly, hard core voice (think distillers and wicked wisdom put together)
bananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta *pie*

Quote by Bmm386
I think they should make a GTA paris in like 1795.
Your only goal is to feed your family and keep your horse alive.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
it hit the twin towers, not the pentagon, idiot
IDK, if she's so good, I think you could work out a comprmise or just get over it and find a new singer or adjust and play CHildren of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Lacuna Coil, etc.
Sunday night we played with a band called Murder A Flot Savannah, and they had a 15 your old girl doing Job For A Cowboy squeals. It was gnarly.
We're only strays.
why conform to a genre. do your own stuff. why care what ppl think.

metal is defined by power and energy, not by distortion and screaming grunting vocals.

i think a metal band can sound very powerful if u use a female voice and keys right.
Just because she's doing something different that what you're use to having, doesn't mean that the rest of you have to change. Let her do her thing, the rest of you do your thing, and then find a way to blend that all together. The best music isn't always made by coming up with something entirely new, it can also be made by combining things together that maybe you hadn't thought you could combine before.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar