Tommorow i'm going into the shop to begin the refinishing of my old peavey. I want to do a finish similar, but not exactly like the burned hendrix/zappa strat. http://community.webshots.com/photo/500133715/1500154162033877288xTPrsK

SO: I'm doing a vintage white/cream, and I have aged all the plastic parts. But how would I get the finish so that it is burned like those pictures? Would I completely refinish, do a big relic, and the burn any exposed wood? Or should I completley refinish and set the whole the on fire?! I need some help, and I need it fast, as Im "renting" shop time and have to start tommorow. I've already charred parts of the back of my neck. And also to relic do I do all the scratches and stuff before I clear coat? Cause that would seem like the logical thing. And what are the best instruments for relicing? screwdrivers? keys? etc.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
Try the keys thing, except throw them at the guitar with your eyes closed for a random knicks and dings effect....

Try sanding/chipping (chisel, screwdriver) peices off of the arm rest...

maybe spilling hot coffee on the exposed wood?? (not sure about this one)

As far as the whole clear coat thing goes...wouldn't you do the relicing after the clear coat? If you did it before you would have to put LOADS of coats over the spots with chipped wood to make it smooth...and it wouldn't feel as cool it it was smooth.
yay and god said let there be project guitar ,and it was good.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burnt.htm
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Put it in the freezer for a day, then sit it out in the sun to cool down. Checked finish.
Quote by markom89
Put it in the freezer for a day, then sit it out in the sun to cool down. Checked finish.

put it in the freezer, then outside to COOL IT DOWN?? Where are you, the north pole??

To the original poster. This will NOT turn out well. You cant get a convincing relic (or any finish for that matter) by rushing things. Take your time.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
^ Oh, I'm not rushing things. I just have to have a plan laid out for how im gonna do it. It's the guys shop requirement, that you know exactly what you're doing before you start. I expect this to take at least 2 months.
Quote by RAGEING_BAD_@$$
yay and god said let there be project guitar ,and it was good.

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/burnt.htm

Thanks for the link, but it doesnt help me much. Im not doing a stain...I'm doing a solid color finish, which would cover the burn marks.
Paint it the finish you want, get a heat gun on a medium setting and hold it on the areas you want burnt off. scrape all the burnt paint away, and you have your very own burnt guitar.
After you've done the solid finish, burn a few parts of the guitar, throw the body around so the paint chips and so on, but make sure you do it in the right places.

And that relic you posted is horrible, all the knobs and covers are bright white, and the neck is like new, urgh.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by ormsby guitars
put it in the freezer, then outside to COOL IT DOWN?? Where are you, the north pole??

To the original poster. This will NOT turn out well. You cant get a convincing relic (or any finish for that matter) by rushing things. Take your time.

Warm it up, I guess I meant. You know what I mean
Quote by R_H_C_P
After you've done the solid finish, burn a few parts of the guitar, throw the body around so the paint chips and so on, but make sure you do it in the right places.

And that relic you posted is horrible, all the knobs and covers are bright white, and the neck is like new, urgh.

The neck and pickguard on that guitar weren't supposed to be reliced. It was supposed to a replica of the hendrix/zappa strat, which has a new neck and pickguard, as the old ones were unsalvagable from the fire. I don't plan on haveing a new neck and bright white knobs.
^That's alright then.

Are you sure you want a guitar that's gonna' be that screwed up though? If it was me, I'd go for a bit of a lighter relic job.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30