does anyone have a good easy way to clean an sg style guitar? i have the epiphone vintage g-400 and dont want to mess it up since it doesnt really have a finish, but i meant the whole guitar, not just the body. thanks. and please no flaming for making 2 threads in a short amount of time, i just wanna take care of my baby haha
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
First of all good choice of guitar.

Second, go out and buy something if your that paranoied about the finish.

I have a vintage G-400 with the worn cherry in my studio and I use just an old t-shirt and some warm water, but if you want to take special care of it go out and buy some guitar and string cleaner.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top w/ Seymour Duncans
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top w/ Dimarzios
Peavey Windsor Halfstack
MXR Distortion III
Dunlop Jazz 3 picks (Red)
DR Tite-fit 10's
Monster Cables
Take off the strings and use lemon oil for the neck.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
does lemon oil go for both rosewood and maple necks? a guy told me to try not use lemon oil on a maple fretboard...well i guess he could be wrong but ur the experts u tell me
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Jackson DK2M(Coming Soon)
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
Digitech Rp100 Effects Pedal
Tung Oil is traditionally used on Maple necks (in the process of making it, to give it a vintage tint, afaik) while Lemon Oil is used for Rosewood.

EDIT: Edited.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 11, 2006,
i dont know spoonman.^

i might be wrong, but polish on maple because its a coated neck. any oil will just sit on it, and maybe even stain it.

and threadstarter, dont take off all the strings until u know how to set up ur guitar.

and dont use water.
buy polish for the body and lemon oil for the neck. (again, except maple)

dunlop makes a guitar care set for a few bucks. neck only need oil a couple times a year.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
ya thanks, i know how to set up my guitar
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by jj1565
i dont know spoonman.^

i might be wrong, but polish on maple because its a coated neck. any oil will just sit on it, and maybe even stain it.

and threadstarter, dont take off all the strings until u know how to set up ur guitar.

and dont use water.
buy polish for the body and lemon oil for the neck. (again, except maple)

dunlop makes a guitar care set for a few bucks. neck only need oil a couple times a year.

Actually, I was indeed wrong Jenny.

I believe tung oil is used in the process of making the neck to tint it.
yeah, its a finish makes the back of a neck look and feel pretty good.
i looked into it when i was staining my tele. that's how i knew.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The neck of my guitar is unfinished because I sanded it down so I just use lemon oil on it about once a month. Keeps the moisture out.
you can use lemon oil to clean the grime off maple and rosewood/mahongany necks. the juice just doesnt really soak or condition the maple fretboard(trust me i do it all the time to my strat neck) personally ive had the best luck with jim dunlop cream of carnauba wax for the body and neck.