are you supposed to always use alternate picking, because on somethings such as this:

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|-0----------------------------8-----------------5-------------0-|
|-0---5---8---5---11---8---787-8---8---12---10-8-5---7---8---7-0-|
|-0-0---0---0---0----0---0-----8-8---8----8------5-5---5---5---0-|
. . . . . . . . . . . .

or any other fast "palm muting and then string above it riffs", its qutie difficult to try and use alternate picking so i just use all downstrokes. this slows me down quite a bit and was wondering if its easier to play these kind of riffs using alternate picking rather than all downpicks?
yeah its slower and easier to use down strokes, if you alternate pick, it may be harder at first but it will be alot faster
Do you like it
HARDER or Faster

PRESIDENT OF THE SIXPOUNDER WHEN I POUND HER
CLUB
yeah definately easier.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
After a while, you won't be able to do anything but alternate picking, if you practice it. Like, I used to all downpick the intro to Sweet Child o' Mine, and the intro to Crazy Trian. But after practicing my alternate picking, I can't do anything but alternate pick. that's the end of my biography.
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
in my opinion downstrokes during palm mutes produces a much "heavier sound"... and much easier to play but then again alternate picking is much faster than all downstrokes
I alternate pick everything, I cant help it, its second nature...I dare to say even if theres supposed to be a downpicking part, I'd have a hard time not alt.picking...strange how that works...
Thats why i have a hard time with sweep picking, which shouldn't be...
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
It depends on what you are playing. I usually alternate pick, but songs like Master of Puppets which are downpicked by Metallica themselves, I will downpick. Now mind you, I'm talking about the heavy rhythm parts, try to downpick the second solo would be crazy.
Current Gear
-LTD M-50
-Mesa Boogie 3 Channel Dual Rectifer
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Cabinet
-Peavey Rage 158
Quote by obey_yourmaster
After a while, you won't be able to do anything but alternate picking, if you practice it. Like, I used to all downpick the intro to Sweet Child o' Mine, and the intro to Crazy Trian. But after practicing my alternate picking, I can't do anything but alternate pick. that's the end of my biography.

ugh, i could never downpick Crazy Train and Sweet Child of Mine.

When I first started my teacher told me to alt pick so I did now it's so second nature to me i cant understand why people only downpick.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
Quote by jimmypage7
no not always...........i think the crazytrain intro is all downpicks

And that is impressive how?... Master of Puppets is faster than that.

TS: Play however it feels the most comfortable. The more you practice your downpicking, the faster it gets. You get a little bit heavier sound when you downpick too.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.