well at school for music (year 9) for our assessment we have to write a song, and record it. My band chose to work together and i'm writing the guitar parts and maybe the bass.

I'm having alot of trouble getting a sick intro riff happening. I want something that has more of a melody to it rather than like powerchords. Our singer is a girl and she likes the intro to the used song, i caught fire. I dont mind that song if its them playing it live, because they use a different tuning live and it sounds better.

So is there any advice for writing a killer intro?

for the verses i'm going to get the key of the song and work out some chords, and use another melody or style to pick through the chords instead of strumming them.

I dont want the song to be some powerchord song the hole way like most greenday and blink 182 (i personally dislike them bands)

The song genre would be rock but not any thing heavy.

Any help or advice would be aprreciated.

Cheers
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
ok i thought i may as well start from scratch, as i've been playing for a couple of hours and only came up with a progression of 4 powerchords which is used in the same order for every part of the song with just different ways of playing it... HMMMMPHHHFFF!!!!!!

I'm thinking of going for a happy intro, sad verses, neutral chorus and happy interlude's and solo's.

Could someone please explain to me a way of getting the key of the song and what chords to use and a way of getting a melody based on those chords and key. Or an approach as apposed to doodling to get an intro and **** out of 4 powerchords...

PLEASE HELP ME lol.

EDIT: heres a rough draft of the vocals our singer wrote (please dont assist with the lyrics, just the way to put music behind it.)

You Didn?t Break Me

Attacking intro

Oh and I hope you choke
On the words, you couldn?t muster
Where?s your confidence?
Don?t be scared, just hold regret.

Coz, baby.
Don?t worry, You didn?t break me.
No. Honey. I?m completely destroyed.

We disappeared in the smoke
You took my hand, and we tripped
And fell in love
Yeah deep in love, too late.

But, baby.

Were cutting the rope
It?s over now, not my fault.
Wheres my self esteem?
I think I dropped it, running from you.

And, baby.

It?s maybe a good thing
Coz, now I know I?m worth
All of your lies.
Thankyou, I can breathe again.

[whisper] The feeling left.
Oh I hope its leaves me alone
[louder] leave me alone
[louder] leave me alone!

But, baby.
Don?t worry, You didn?t break me. [ NO instruments]

Instrument build up for 2 bars

But, baby.
[x 2]

Fade it out?.
Thankyou, I can breathe again..
Thankyou, I can breathe again..
Thankyou?
I can breathe.

? written by Casey.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Last edited by rockstar_jones at Jul 12, 2006,
Ok, a couple of questions first, how good are you at guitar, are you using acoustic or electric and what style of music are you hoping to write?

I might be able to help you, Ive written a couple of "draft" pieces, it isnt that hard to do, but if you try too hard you make yourself think of it as incredibly difficult when it isnt.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Hey mate.

I've been playing for about 20 months, and i'm 14. I'm using electric atm seeing as my acoustic is at fretco getting the string peg holes redrilled (went through 3 sets of plastic pegs in 6 months) and i guess i'd use electric to perform it. I guess i'm alright at guitar, can play the rhythm parts to alot of metallica, and a few solos, and am up to date enough with all my techniques and can manage 4 string sweeps (so far).

After going through the lyrics i've came up with a way to approach it, i reckon i'd have the verses over 3 bars and then like 2 bars with higher powerchords that are semi breves.

MY main issue i guess after stepping away and relaxing and coming back to it is a way to get a intro that isnt chords.

I was reading through the lyrics again today and i came up with it would have to be more of a veronica's/kelly clarkson or maybe even the Donna's type of touch to it. Like it couldnt be overly. I've resigned to the fact that the verse should probably have semiquaver filled bars with a strike the chord the pm it then next chord, pm it, ya get my drift? as for the verses i want them to really stand out, but i guess more power chords here, with maybe a bit of a doodle added to em.

So i guess a pop rock feel (i think) as apposed to a rock and roll feel, seeing as my singer is a girl and the lyrics dont really seem to go with a balls to the wall rock song (do you agree?)
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Sounds like you want to compose something serious. So you say your alright at guitar? Ok I think I have something for you.

For your happy intro, you want to incorporate the mahor scale or major chords. You could simply descend the scale with accelerating spped, if you want to crash straight into the song, but thats not really pop-rock, more shred I would say. You could dub several guitars over playing the same scale, but using delay and echo effects and land on the same note, again choosing the major scale. Or you could have a simple chord progression, incorperating some major-minor shifts and then finish on a maj7/dom7 chord to lead into your song. Do this on a clean channel and it will have that kind of pop feel.

Then for your verses I suppose that playing some minor arpeggios would suffice, dont just choose any old chords, once again put some variation in it. Use min7 chords or dim/aug chords for an eerie feel. For the rhthym of this, play the whole chord low to high then descend a bit, and then speed up to lead into the next one. Maybe do this in the bass as well, as you just want to keep to roots of the chords for the bass, for now.

Im not quite sure how a neutral chorus would work, theyre usually a bit brighter. To lead into this have a steady drum beat getting a bit louder at the end of the verse, this works quite well. Here you might want some distortion, but not too much. Play some simple power chord riffs with some short pauses for some notes to lead into another "power" riff. Increase the tempo and volume a bit here, as you want your chorus to be distinguishable for the listeners.

For the happy interlude, I would suggest shifting up the neck to the higher notes to play a simple solo. I wont go into how to do this but use the major scale again and I think youll be able to come up with something. If all else fails just do something similar to a solo from someone else, it wont be that noticeable. This might be where you want to make your bass part a bit more complex, using a simple rhythm playing scales/arpeggios. Dont make your solo too fast or it wont have that pop feel. Then end on one note and let that last so you can go back into your chorus to tie off your song.

Heres my article on cadences, which are simple chord progressions which end a song.

And heres a page that explains loads of theory if you get confused. Click on the tabs to the left.

I hope this helps, its basically just some things that helped me.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

ok thanks for that i'll give all those chord types a run for getting some chords to arpeggio for the verses maybe, otherwise i'll just stick to a pm's rhythm, or if i feel game i'll do a rhythm with a lead over the top. I could have the rhythm playing lower pm power chords then have the lead arpeggio'ing the same chords higher or something? Would this work well?

I think for any build ups or interludes or whatever i'll write some ascending bass scale runs of some sort.

As for an intro i was thinkin something along the lines of "i caught fire" by the used. Should i just make up a pattern that someone might use to help them learn scales like a 1 23 2 2 3, 3 3 4 type of system (if that makes scence, like going up a note each time the pattern repeats sort of) Would some sort of repeated pattern ascending up the scale work well? or a mode? Or maybe a rhythm playing octaves X5X7XX or and fitting a scale lick thingy over it? like the intro to "joker and the thief" by wolfmother.

Yeah i'm not that into this genre for personal preference but when it comes to band i'm open to playin anything because i think its fun. Me and my singer also think it'll be a good idea to write our own stuff for the band aswell for something to try. Hope my posts are making sense and thanks heaps
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
The Aeolian mode works wonders my friend.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
keys. 3 main chords- chords 1, 4, 5. (got taught this by rambo tambo at school)
eg. key of A- A D E
key of B- B E F (or F#, forget which)
key of C- C F G
key of D- D G A
etc.

and you can add others, but if it has the 3 main chords, its probably gonna be in that key.
hope I helped.
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
^Its F#.

Quote by Robbie n strat

U could use barre chords with a soft solo on top. Think scorpions "rythm of love", but more suited to your happy song. For the solo use a warm tone, using an appropriate scale, with a rythm repeating 1 or 2 times, with a nice bend as the last note.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.