I want to start listening to The Greatful Dead, and was wondering what albums you guy would suggest. I really like the songs Truckin', and Casey Jones, if that helps any.
You will probably fall in love with The Grateful Dead if you like the Allman Brothers Band.
Get these ones:
American Beauty
Workingman's Dead
Anthem Of The Sun
And if you can, get some live stuff too, that's where they shine.
I can't remember what albums they are on, but I love the songs Touch of Grey and Friend of the Devil.

Truckin' and Casey Jones were my first Grateful Dead songs too, then I listened to these 2 songs and I fell in love with the Grateful Dead
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
the movie soundtrack is pretty good. 5 cd's for ~$30.
Live/Dead is always fun.
there's a lot of live stuff on the internet for free too.
just search google for it or something. (or use bittorrent, but I donno if you're into that.)
Have you heard about my baby? Yes, how I love her, you don't know.
Have you heard about my baby? Yes, how I love her, you don't know.
I declare it hurt be so bad, when I heard she'd got to go.
eh forget their studio albums.. not that they're NOT good, theyre **** compared to their live stuff. i mean thats a given, but like zoso said,

get the movie soundtrack
Europe 72'
live at the fillmore east 1971

my favorite of their studio albums is the grateful dead from the mars hotel.
American Beauty, In my opinion is better, but like others said, don't worry too much about the studio albums. The Live albums are where it's at. Get some Dick's Pick's, Europe 72, and if you want a studio album, that is actually good, go for the greatest hits, Skeletons in the Closet, because it's just a compilation of their biggest studio hits.
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
I was asking about the studio albums because I noticed that their live albums tend to be pricey. Live at the Fillmore is $30 on amazon, where American Beauty is only ten, don't get me wrong I love music and would get the $30 one, but I'm on a tight budget.(Saving up for a new guitar.)
There are a number of great albums by The Grateful Dead. I would give a listen to Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa, Mars Hotel, Blues for Allah, Terrapin Station in addition to the more well-known albums like American Beauty and Workingman's Dead.
i can't rly think of any bad Dead albums get whatever you can but personally my favorite is blues for allah
one, if not the greatest jam band ever.
***MEMBER OF THE WHO FAN CLUB***

*Founder of Teenage Wasteland Club*(working to inform the un-informed)

**Member #2 of the Windmillers Club**

**Alter Boy of Zeppelinism**

*9/08 THE WHO*
Like someone said Skeletons From the Closet is a great place to start, i'd also recommend The Closing Of Winterland: December 31st 1978, which is a great live album
Quote by zxZoSoxz
the movie soundtrack is pretty good. 5 cd's for ~$30.
Live/Dead is always fun.
there's a lot of live stuff on the internet for free too.
just search google for it or something. (or use bittorrent, but I donno if you're into that.)

The segue from China Cat Sunflower to I Know You Rider is MAGICAL
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'