Hello. I'm from australia. I've played guitar messing around for about 5 years. My brother wants to start a metal band. I'm going to change to bass. I've got $4000 australian dollars.

I've got two choices I can get one really expensive warwick. Or I can get 2 cheaper basses a 4 string and a five string.Here are the choices.

Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt-On ($3100) Warwick Thumb Bass Bolt-On 5-String http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4431.htm

Or

I can get Ibanez BTB1205E Prestige 5 String Bass Guitar ($1845) http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=BTB1205ENTF and Schecter Exotic Bass ($1950). http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod4166.htm

I'm kind of worried that the warwick only has a 34" scale. My brother said it might be harder to slap on. I don't pretend to be an expert on bass so any help or advice would be much appreciated. As I said it will only be for metal so if someone could help me out that would be good. Also I've read that you have to wax and maintain the warwick and I dont' think I'd be very good at that. Also I'd probably be scared to take it anywhere at that price.

thanks in advance.
.... if you have never played bass before.... Why spend so much on your first? (And don't you dare F*^($)#( say that since you play guitar you can play bass)

I would go with the Ibanez because just about every bass of theirs I have played (includeing my awesome one) has been pretty good, but when your spending about 3000 american dollars... almost anything would be pretty good... in fact since you have that kind of money, I would forget about everything mentioned and see about getting a Fodera, They are amazing... albeit pricy
Ok, first of all, i agree with savedbyjaco when he says why the **** would you spend that much on your first bass. My advice is buy something much cheaper to start, keep that money until you can play pretty well, then decide what bass (hence sound) you like. also i wouldn't blow all that money on a bass, why not buy something more mid market then buy a decent amp so that people get to hear you.

I genuinely hate you right now, and yes it is a pure jealousy thing. Im saving to go overseas so i have $5000 AUD sitting in the bank and a Warwick thumb Bolt-on5 is sitting somewhere waiting for me to buy. But i'm a good puppy and just spending it on an overseas trip.

Buy something cheap, practice like mad, get good THEN, and only then, buy something expensive.
First of all, why shouldn't he spend that amount of money on his first bass? If he can afford it, what's the problem? Jealousy is so ugly ! I guess the Warwick out of those two, but go to your local shop and play a load of them first. Play some Fenders, Warwicks, Musicmans, Ibanez's... dont your make your decision from an internet forum and buy online..
Quote by Applehead
First of all, why shouldn't he spend that amount of money on his first bass? If he can afford it, what's the problem? Jealousy is so ugly ! I guess the Warwick out of those two, but go to your local shop and play a load of them first. Play some Fenders, Warwicks, Musicmans, Ibanez's... dont your make your decision from an internet forum and buy online..

Yeah I agree, if you've got the money why not... it's not as if it's resale value won't hold up in the worst of situations.

I really must suggest you definitely check out a Stingray though - can't give this thing enough praise. They've got a stunning metal tone and they're versatile as hell so you wouldn't have to limit yourself to just metal.
Musicman Stingray 3EQ
Applehead, i'm deeply offended that you think i'm ugly and all, but i was being THAT serious

The only reason i recommend not spending that much on you first bass is that if you can't play bass yet, how can you be sure what it's going to sound like? Yes you can sit in a store and play some basics, but alot of tone comes from the player so you might find that the awsome growl of the Warwick sounds good when you play slower, simpler things, but then in a years time when you really start playing fast you might prefer the move even sound of the Stingray.

Another good reason to wait until you can play better is because if you buy it know and change your mind, you're stuck. If you wait and end up buying the same instrument you first wanted, then you end up with it anyway.

I would like to say congratulations on whatever you decide, in the end it is all personal preference.
Dude, you're not getting it. To some of us, $1500 Isn't a lot of money - If you're a millionarie, you're hardly going to spend $150 on a Squier are you? It's all relative my friend.
My first bass was a Stingray when i was about 11. If money is no object, buy the best you can. Obviously, if you are poor and need to save for a year to get that kind of money, then Bassic Chicken is right.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
my first bass was a frigen squier p-bass, man absa your lucky as hell to have that much starting money, ive never a warwick but since they cost so much money they must be good and the bassist from mudvayne has many so they must be good
Quote by Applehead
Dude, you're not getting it. To some of us, $1500 Isn't a lot of money - If you're a millionarie, you're hardly going to spend $150 on a Squier are you? It's all relative my friend.

you can't be serious, any person who would think 1500 is not alot of money would be able to afford it if he/she is that bad with money, no intelligent person just throws away 1500 when he/she doesn't even know if they're sticking to it when they can spend a tenth of it (or even a fith for a good recording quality bass)
^ Do me a favour! People spend $2000 on a pair of shoes to wear once at a dinner party.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just because you think $1500 is a lot of money, dont forget there are people who wear suits that cost five times that.

tut tut tut
Quote by SavedbyJaco
you can't be serious, any person who would think 1500 is not alot of money would be able to afford it if he/she is that bad with money, no intelligent person just throws away 1500 when he/she doesn't even know if they're sticking to it when they can spend a tenth of it (or even a fith for a good recording quality bass)

You've missed the point on what he said. If you are a millionaire and have money to throw away, you are not gonna buy some crappy sounding bass for $150 when you can afford to buy something much better for a lot more.
It's all relative, boys, it's all relative !

BB
x

p.s My most expensive shoes were $700 in NYC.
thanks for the response. I didn't really know it was going to spark this much debate. I'm kind of leaning towards the warwick. A lot of really good pro players choose them so they can't be that bad. For the record I am very serious about playing bass. I have played my friends basses before. I'm just giving up guitar now and switching exclusively to bass.
Quote by JakeXP
You've missed the point on what he said. If you are a millionaire and have money to throw away, you are not gonna buy some crappy sounding bass for $150 when you can afford to buy something much better for a lot more.

I didn't say a crappy 150...
I'm just saying no intelligent person is about to spend that kind of money on what may be a passing thing, and who the F*** would spend $2000 dollars on shoes period? let alone for one night only?

I millionare becomes a millionare by not spending unessecary amounts of money... My bass that I bought used at $600 (new list is about 950) is far more versatile than any stingray I've played, and god knows I saved closed to a $1000 by doing that as compared to a stingray.

in short, SMART millionares (and the majority of them should be smart, or else they need to get robbed) don't throw away money, or else they wouldn't be millionares

I'll go find a few to tell me that right now if ya want.
Quote by bassbitch
My first bass was a Stingray when i was about 11. If money is no object, buy the best you can. Obviously, if you are poor and need to save for a year to get that kind of money, then Bassic Chicken is right.

BB
x

Were you spoiled by perfect tone? I've heard starting on really nice basses early on can harm your technique by making it easier to sound good - or maybe I'm way off bass (har har).
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
ok, first off, i'm pretty sure that warwick generally makes their five strings in 35" scale length only. (but for some dumbassed reason, g&l 5 strings are 34"" second, the 34" scale doesn't make slapping harder (in fact, it makes things easier on the left hand), it just makes for a loose, rattly, undefined low B.
warwicks are nice, no doubt...but if you're not sure you'd take the time to oil and maintain it, then your investment will turn into a slintered, warped hunk of driftwood (exaggerating a little). expect issues with the neck warping on you if you don't take care of it.
check out musicman. i prefer the bongo to the stingray (pickup blend instead of 5 way switch). insane low end. and way cheaper than most warwicks.
i'm also a big fan of the peavey cirrus (fantastic necks...neck through is the way to go with these).
i'm not ragging on warwick, they're fantastic...but they require a little more babying than most others.
taken from warwick's advice column:
I have been the proud owner of a 2001 Corvette Standard natural finish bass for over a year now and I played a show a few nights ago in fairly rainy conditions (intermittent drizzling) and by the end of the set the back of my bass's neck was fairly wet. This was the first time that I ever gigged in this type of weather with this particular bass. I toweled if off at the end of the set and put it in its case thinking it would be ok. By the next day I noticed that my bass's neck finish had a pronounced chalky white tint to it.

basically, they advise you to sand off the chalky ****, and wax the thing again. just something to think about.
Just one more question. I asked my friend and he said that if you are using a 5 string it is best to get 35" scale as it is more punchy. He said that on a 34" scale with his 5 string he had problems with the low B.

thanks.
Quote by Yertle
Were you spoiled by perfect tone? I've heard starting on really nice basses early on can harm your technique by making it easier to sound good - or maybe I'm way off bass (har har).

Well to be honest, in a way i think it has. I often go to peoples houses who are starting out bass and i pick up one of theirs and think, Jesus how do you play this thing - it's awful. But, i would never have to play one of those so it doesnt bother me. I can play it, sure, but my technique is definitely not as good as on my Stinger. But it's like anything, if i played a cheap bass for a few months i would get used to it. it takes a while to get used to any new instrument. Even each of my Stingrays feel a bit different

BB
x
Quote by absa
Just one more question. I asked my friend and he said that if you are using a 5 string it is best to get 35" scale as it is more punchy. He said that on a 34" scale with his 5 string he had problems with the low B.

thanks.

i talked about that in the first post i made. about 3 posts up from where you are.
he's right. we have a 34" scale 5 string where i work, and the low b is just awful. floppy, rattly, loose. there's no definition, no heft. it just sounds like a fart. i can't imagine fingerpicking or using a pick on that low b. slapping sortof works, since it doesn't ring out as long, and you aren't as likely to notice the poor sustain and buzzing.
the other four strings sound and feel great.