Poll: Guitar vs. Amp
Poll Options
View poll results: Guitar vs. Amp
Buy a new guitar
4 29%
Get a New Amp
10 71%
Voters: 14.
Does anyone know if there's a huge difference between these two models and their sound/playability? Which should I get if I want a pretty good upgrade from an Epi LP SP II? Because I'm looking into getting a new guitar, and I kind of want a Gibson SG...

And while I'm on this train of thought, given the fact that I currently play a crappy guitar through a crappy amp (EPI thru a crate GX-15), what should I get; a new mid-grade amp or a new guitar? If I were to get a new amp, it wouldn't be anything too special... like probably a 50 watt Marshall combo or a line 6 spider series.

*sighs since he can't afford a tube amp*.

Thanks everyone.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
In the price range of the spider and marshall combo amps, you can get a vox ad30vt or ad50vt. They are probably the best amps around for the price. You can play a very diverse range of styles on them (as i do) and they are great for practicing on. Honestly, you can't beat them at their prices. Also, this will give you enough money to get a very decent guitar, if your talking about getting the gibson with it.
Get a tube amp. Trust me. Tube amps improve your tone tenfold. Even crappy guitars like Squiers can sound ok through a nice tube amp.

Go to your guitar center and ask them for their best priced tube amps.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Get a tube amp. Trust me. Tube amps improve your tone tenfold. Even crappy guitars like Squiers can sound ok through a nice tube amp.

Go to your guitar center and ask them for their best priced tube amps.

he said he can't afford one..
Quote by MadMudgeN
Does anyone know if there's a huge difference between these two models and their sound/playability? Which should I get if I want a pretty good upgrade from an Epi LP SP II? Because I'm looking into getting a new guitar, and I kind of want a Gibson SG...

And while I'm on this train of thought, given the fact that I currently play a crappy guitar through a crappy amp (EPI thru a crate GX-15), what should I get; a new mid-grade amp or a new guitar? If I were to get a new amp, it wouldn't be anything too special... like probably a 50 watt Marshall combo or a line 6 spider series.

*sighs since he can't afford a tube amp*.

Thanks everyone.

New amp first.

What's your budget? If you can afford a Gibson SG, why the hell can't you afford a good tube amp?
Quote by Spamwise
he said he can't afford one..

if he can afford a SG Standard, he can afford a tube amp. Plus you can always get a Vox ad50vt or a fender blues junior (which is a lot louder than it says it is.) for the price of a marshall mg50 (which was the amp he was talking about buying).
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Get a GOOD amp first (MG's and Spiders don't fit in this category).

With the money for the SG, get a good valve combo, your sound will be a hell of a lot better than it'll be with the SG Standard and small Crate.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Spider II's aren't bad. They have some really nice cleans and the distortion is ok, just kinda muddy. But I would advise him to go get a tube amp. I can't believe no one has asked this yet, but what style of music do you play? The type of music you play always affects your equipment decision (unless you are John McGlaughlin )
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
^^ Sorry everyone, I should've mentioned that I'm getting the Gibson at a used price. It's an acquaintance's guitar and he's auctioning it off on his website for much cheaper than it retails for due to the fact that it had to have a neck repair on it. Right now, if I were to bid on it and win, it probably wouldn't run me more than like $400. And ideally, I'm looking to spend as little as possible as I'm a struggling college student with very little extra cash but I do want a gigging setup...

So, given those facts, that (we'll say) $300ish is my MAX limit, and I'd love to spend less and get the best setup I can, what do you all suggest I do/get? Thank you all for your input!

edit: and don't get me wrong, just because the guitar had a repair doesn't mean it's a second rate SG; I've played it and it's every bit as playable and fluid as a brand new out of box SG standard.

edit 2:I play everything from light rock to metal, indie, and funk...
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Jul 12, 2006,
And While I'm asking stuff, what's the best way to get pinch harmonics to sound? Louder Amps, Better Pickups, or both?
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
If you like the SG so much, and it's so cheap, jump right on it man, or you'll really regret it.

And you can always save up for a new amp in the future, that deal's just to good to miss.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30