Does a cutaway in an acoustic guitar really affect the sound enough to justify not getting one? In addition, is it worth it to get a preamp built in, or should I go just standard acoustic? I'm looking at the 800 price range. Any recommendations cutaway/non cutaway and preamp/no preamp?
Cutaways sound fine. And if you plan on using your acoustic for amplified live applications, I recommend a built-in pickup/preamp system. Something Fishman would probably be your best bet. Built in tuner is always convenient, too.
Hi, I'm Peter
considering that you are looking to spend around $800, you should be able to find a nice acoustic-electric with a cutaway and a quality pickup/preamp that sounds good plugged in and unplugged. while a cutaway does affect the tone of a guitar, there isn't a huge audible difference to the average person. with an $800 spending limit, i'd have a look at this guitar specifically:

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/atlas/ad25_sm/index.html
when i play acoustic i rarely need to go above 12th fret.. so cutaway is not a necessary for me... jst realli depends what u play.. and witht he preamp thing.. i would only need it in a live band situation.. if its live solo.. or recording.. i would prefer mic...
so personnaly i would save the money..
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild