My personal thoughts were to take a basic chord progression like I IV VI IV C,F,Am,F and just change one or two of the chords. ex. C,F,Am9,F. Good idea or bad?
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" -Mike Tyson
try playing it, if it sounds good, go with it.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
Sir Shoelace is a sexy, sexy man.
if it works good for you
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
anybody?
"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!" -Mike Tyson
Good idea.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
sure it works, i would recommend knowing a little bit about what you are doing though

for example

e--0--0--0--0-------------------------
B--3--5--7--8-------------------------
G--0--0--0--0-------------------------
D--2--2--4--5-------------------------
A--2--3--5--7-------------------------
E--0------------------------------------

on the above example you are doing an Emin, cmaj,dmaj,Emin progression with

a progression of D,E,F#,G over it so you have a melodic line with a contrasting harmony line starting w/ the 7th of E and then it changes to 3rds of the root chords as they change. this is called consonant motion, and when you get to the last chord you can hear how it sounds as though it comes to a 'rest' or resolves to that chord.
Quote by vanstuben
My personal thoughts were to take a basic chord progression like I IV VI IV C,F,Am,F and just change one or two of the chords. ex. C,F,Am9,F. Good idea or bad?

Brilliant idea.

A good example is something like... I - IV - V - I.

Normally, your three triads would be C - F - G - C - but you want a richer and fuller sound to the cadence... where the V screams to be resolved to the tonic stick; in an extended chord. It might look something like this...

C - F - G7 - C.

The extra b7 in the Gdom7 (1 3 5 b7) adds extra tension and screams louder for the cadence than a regular triad would.
When I'm using more "exotic" sounding chords, I try to only do that with one or two chords in the progression. Using too many of those chords sounds unfamiliar to my ear (although maybe not to yours).

Also, it's a good idea to take the chords from a basic progression and alter a single note in the chord. Change it or add an additional note. I find this works well with open chords. Just use your ear to make sure you're playing a note that fits into the key you're playing. I usually move my pinky finger around (since it's generally not being used) until I find a note that works well with the chord I'm playing. Over time you will instinctively know where these notes are for the chord you're playing. Also, in open position, just lifting a finger up will generally give you nice new chords. It's not even that necessary to know the names of these chords. You can see that they are derived from your basic Major and Minor triads and therefore, generally work well.
Last edited by Bob Sacamano at Jul 14, 2006,