Page 1 of 2
Ok, I have narrowed my guitar search into these two guitars
Ibanez Joe satriani JS100 (£459)
ESP Kirk Hammett KH 202 (£450)

BUT I'm not sure which to go with, i'm really tempted to go with the satch but the kirk hammett has got emgs, the both have FR liscensed, do you guys know which is best for me.
I play mostly metal but I'm getting faster with my playing, I have started learning thrash and I want to go onto more shreddy stuff (Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai .etc) I also play Blues, Punk, Classic rock (stuff like thin lizzy) and i suppose i can say a very small amount of jazz, whichc do you think is best out of those 2?
what website are you getting the 202 for £450 from??????? TELL ME NOOOOOW. 202 better although I live satch. if you want his guitar get a 1000 when you can afford it, the 100 has none of the features he actually likes except the body
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
ahh, kk, I forgot where i found the 202 for £450 but theres a link on the thread called 'cheap english guitar sites' is the neck on the 202 any good for shred/thrash?
well...the 202 out of those ones, but could you stand to save up for the 602?...i mean its neck thru, real emgs, real floyd rose, its alder instead of basswood...yeah its more expensive but its worth it...and to answer your question about whether or not the neck is shreddable, it depends on what your comfortable playing on..really any neck is shreddable though when you get used to it..i mean buckethead does it on a les paul, and yngwie does it on a strat.
Go get your shovel.
its $950 over here in the U.S...im not sure how that converts over to your currency.
Go get your shovel.
£518
It'll probably end up being £550-£600 i can get one of those, thanks, If i can afford it or if i get a lot of money off my dad for a new one i'll get a proper satch one though
what thread has the 'cheap uk guitars' link? (not hijacking your thread, sorry)
--
yes they are, but they are very good guitars, my teacher has one, and that doesnt mean theyre good, but they are.
To Mr. Gates: THANK_YOU_ALOT. or something, i knew about gak and imuso but not the others, thanks dude
--
Quote by J.MitMetallica
yes they are, but they are very good guitars, my teacher has one, and that doesnt mean theyre good, but they are.
To Mr. Gates: THANK_YOU_ALOT. or something, i knew about gak and imuso but not the others, thanks dude

i know they are good guitars, i didnt say they were bad..i just dont like them.
Go get your shovel.
I wasnt really aiming at you, but at ninja when he said out of his price range
--
Yeah i really like those JS's but The Kirk Hammetts are also a favourite and they are more in my price range, but as i said if i get a large some of money then i'll buy a JS
yeah, but its quite a big jump. I would probably get the 202 at this stage. Dont get the 100 cos its all cheapo like the JEM 555. How long you been playing for, you might have said, but i missed it
--
eh..if you're gonna get a kirk model then get the 602, seriously, you really wouldn't need a new guitar after that if you got it
Go get your shovel.
A year, but before you start saying "your not ready for a good guitar" I have had a great headstart in guitar and can play surprisingly well, but i dont have much money so i can afford all these snazzy things, thats why i'm going to try to save up fot the KH, i wont be getting the guitar till after i buy a new amp though, damn mine sucks
^^ true, but its alot more money
--
not a whole lot more...if he wanted to go all out he should get the KH-2 Neck Thru
Go get your shovel.
I'm going to get the 602 unless the js become available, and i'm the type who cant just have one guitar, i need to use different guitars for different sounds
^^ a correct but expensive mentality, i am the same, you literally cant get every different tone with one guitar, or at least not the best standard of it.
--
i will never be able to have enough guitars, and im probably never gonna trade any in. im gonna end up being like 80 years old with like 50 guitars
Go get your shovel.
I like the js better than the kh-202. The JS has such an easy-playing neck and my hands feel very comfortable when I'm playing on it. The body feels solid and the build quality is pretty good. But it is a little overpriced since you're buying the name. P.S. Joe Satriani is not really considered shred.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Quote by iam2phat
I like the js better than the kh-202. The JS has such an easy-playing neck and my hands feel very comfortable when I'm playing on it. The body feels solid and the build quality is pretty good. But it is a little overpriced since you're buying the name. P.S. Joe Satriani is not really considered shred.

ARE YOU COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR EVIDENTLY MINUTE MIND???? HE MAY NOT BE SOME SH*TTY DEATH METAL SHREDDER WHO SPENDS HIS LIFE SUSPENDED ON HOOKS FROM THE CEILING, BUT MY NAMES FAT SH*TFACE IF HES NOT A SHREDDER

[ps: my name is not fat sh*tface]
--
*sits down and re does up tie* Ahem, yes, sorry, I become very defensive over those kinds of things
--
so i see...doesnt matter though, buckethead and petrucci own all
Go get your shovel.
neither, buy a fucking RG1570.

Seriously, at that price, they're whacking joe or kirk's name on it, giving them a big royalty cheque, and laughing all the way to the bank. Leaving you with a guitar that's slightly more use than a shoebox strung with elastic bands.

Those guitars are NOT what joe and kirk use. You have to go up to the £1000+ instruments to get even close (and even then, they're using custom shop models).

While the RG1570 is an all-round good guitar. Again, not as good as Joe or kirk. But a damn sight closer (made in Japan, actually has a trem that might stay in tune, good all-round workmanship and quality control).

EDIT: and the KH doesn't have real EMG's. Heck, it doesn't even have EMG-HZ's, which suck. Seriously, don't play into the hands of the marketing men. Both those guitars are WAY overpriced. They're basically starter guitars (and pretty poor ones) but are expensive because of the name on the headstock. For their price, you could get a decent (ibanez rg1570) guitar instead. With (heck, even without) a pickup swap, it'll own those two guitars so much it's not even funny.

Oh, and buy a new amp first. Unless you're planning to do that too (and spend at least as much on the amp as on the guitar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 12, 2006,
what dave said.

the js100 is trash compared to other ibanezes in that range. it has the crappy edge II and garbage AH pickups. if your budget is £459, you can get much, much better. the first thing that comes to mind is the 1570 + pickups. if you want something that feels more like a JS, look into an s470 (or 520) + pickups.
^ agreed (on the s470). Just watch the quality control on it though.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, but how much is it?

and are you getting a new amp?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The guitar is about £500 (british)
I'm getting a £229 fender amp, which suits my practice space at the mo cos i'm restricte to my room, when i start gigging etc my dad'll probably pay for a half stack cos he wants me to get gigging
seriously, man, that's the wrong way round to do things...

it's up to you, obviously. And I wouldn't buy a fender for metal...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah but this amp seems to be best in the price range, plus i dont JUST restrict myself to metal, i play classic rock, blues, jazz, and a bit of punk too, i think this is good for now and I've always preffered to have a snazzy guitar and a good amp that'll do me untill i can afford a great one, hopefully that wont be too long.
I'd say the KH is not as versatil as the JS...but that's my opinion..although i like EMG's sound...I recognise that we can't play everything with it :P
yeah thats a problem, the 602 is a metal guitar, and i dont want a les paul is i dont want an epiphone LP and i cant afford a gibson, i'm quite fond of ibanezes though, are there any ibanez rg or s series that are versatile?
Page 1 of 2