hey, so i have been planning on making the body for an electric guitar from scratch and i had a few questions.
1. How do i sand the edges to make them round?

2. How do i contour the body so that it has texture?

3. Ho do i connect the pickup cavities with the control cavity so the that i can run wires through the body?
if these are the best days of our life, then we are in big trouble
1 - use sandpaper hand sand it
2 - again either use sandpaper or a planer to contour the body
3 - drill holes between the cavities
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
thanks. really helpful. using my hand with sandpaper is all i need to do to add depth to the body?
i only meant for him to round the edge by hand. contouring he should use a planer and a power sander. but i think orbital sanders work better, imo.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i have another question. how do you make the cavity for set neck?
with a router
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i mean how do i know what dimenstions to route the cavity?
easiest way is to lay the neck where you want it. line it up with everything else if you already have the other cavities done, but the neck should be the first thing you route for, then just draw a line around the base of the neck . then route out most of it and start test fitting it until you get a snug fit.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
should the neck cavity combine with the neck pickup cavity?
NNNOOOO. there should be about a 1/4 inch between the neck pocket and the neck pup cavity.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
ok thanks. that came to mind because i have seen pictures where the neck cavity combines with neck pickup cavity. perhaps that was bolt-on.
no most bolt ons ive seen still have the space between them. i could be wrong tho.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
1) You don't have to sand the edges. If you have a router, you can simply by a roundover bit in whatever size you need. (Standard Fenders =1/4", Gibson LP's = 3/4") Alternativley, you can use a spokeshave/rasp/plane to contour the edges.

2) If you mean carving the top of the body, there's VARIOUS ways to do this. One, my favorite method is using a 4" angle grinder with a 40 grit flap sanding disk. You can also use a convex finger plane, but you shouldn't really attack figured tops (if it is) with a plane. Another method is using a flute bit in a router, and routing the top in steps until you reach the flat middle, and then attack it either a plane, belt sander, angle grinder or whatever!

3) If you're using a pickgaurd, just route a channel from the cavities. If you're not using a pickgaurd, simply get a real long drill bit (12" works) and drill it out.

Also, DO-NOT try and free-hand the neck cavity. That has to be one of the worst pieces of advice given on this board. MAKE a template, and use a bit with a bearing on top of the cutters. That way, you can double stick tape the template to the body (make sure the centerlines line up), route the cavity exact and build the tenon to the exact specs. PERFECT fits.
good to see you back so soon meningitis
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
threadstarter, the corect way to make your rounded edges (like they are on strats and others)

is a router and a nonplunging bit...its an edge bit to make the edges round...

dont listen to metal..
meningitis if you didnt come back gunning for me right off the bat, i probably would have never thought it was you, but you f*cked up. dont start with me. the TS asked us all a question. i answered with the easiest way I know to do it without the chance of f*cking it up and you start bashing me. if you know a better way thats fine tell him but dont start bashing my credibilty of knowing somethings that are easier for beginners to do.

TS, weve suggested several ways to do what your asking how to. some are easier some arent. some give you the same results with a little more work but without a shop full of tools. others get it done faster but with a couple hundred dollars worth of tools. my suggestion is to read over what weve said and decide the easiest and best way for yourself.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Dude - Relax. First of all, who is meningitis? I don't know what your deal is with me, but whatever it is forget it. I never once bashed you, so I don't know what you're talking about. Few hundred dollars worth? A Ryobi router at Home Depot is 59$ and some change. A bit is about 20. 80 Dollars, jees don't break the bank here.

Anyways, just relax man. I have no idea what your problem is.
hey guys. thanks for all ur input. after looking over the thread and doing a little research, i think i know what i'm gonna do. i already have a wood workshop so i should be able to try some of the things that u told me about before screwing up on the real thing. u all da man.