okay, well i just bought my first rack. and was really excited and stuff, ya know

in doing that it made my friend want one. but he just started playing and for some reason didn't grasp the idea that you needed a poweramp, hahaha.

yeah
I'm not gonna lend him my mosValve either because its the only one I have.

all he has is a crap 15w practice combo by fender.
i told him to look up on the net if it would do any damage to plug the pre into just the combo's poweramp, and he tells me all it has is a headphone jack, guitar input, and 8 (symbol thingy) min. ext. speaker jack

WTF do I say now? I'm stumped

would it kill a JMP1 to plug it into that guitar input?
Tell him he's a retard and get him to take it back.
That's a reaaaally stupid mistake.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
*agreeed* i tried explaining that you would need the whole 'rack' or whatever, but i guess it went in one ear and out the other.

and it was bought used, no return. LMAO, maybe i should buy it off him

but still, it'd be possible?
if its not, then ill let him know it'd be wise to:
a.) sell it on ebay
b.) wait for a while, and buy the needed stuff.
Quote by spuime4c1es
all he has is a crap 15w practice combo by fender.
i told him to look up on the net if it would do any damage to plug the pre into just the combo's poweramp, and he tells me all it has is a headphone jack, guitar input, and 8 (symbol thingy) min. ext. speaker jack

WTF do I say now? I'm stumped

Actually, he's fine to connect his preamp to the amp's guitar input. I did that with a Marshall 9004 SS preamp for several years. No problems there.

Now, a preamp was a really dumb decision if he's using a 15W Fender pactice amp, but it will probably be a tonal improvement nonetheless. Later on, rather than a combo, all he needs is a power amp and cab.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
alright, so what you are saying is, it wont hurt anything if he runs the JMP1 through the input? tubes be fine and all?

i guess i should tell him
im sure he will be happy

.. and i was kinda having fun laughing with him
No, through the input it would run through his amp's pre-amp, he's gotta run it through the power amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yes, thats what i tried explaining

but he said it didn't have an input that did that
im not sure, i've never seen the amp.

he just mentioned the three inputs i listed in my first post.

it wouldn't damage anything though if he ran it through his preamp would it?
You CAN run a preamp into a combo's main input and into the clean channel, just like it was a distortion pedal. It's not the ideal (running into the power amp) and won't sound as good, but it will work.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
thankyou! that answered it.
i thought thats what you said at first, but then R_H_C_P made me confused

okay
thanks guys!