I'm getting new pickups for my LP, the ones I have now sound muddy, and I can't decide on what to get. I play anywhere from blues rock to death metal. I was thinking of an EMG 81/85 combo, would this suite my style?

Thanks in advance.
Dickless.
They might be a bit too powerful for blues rock, but I don't think you'd play too much of that. Remember that you need a good amp for active pickups, preferably a tube amp. Not sure how they'd work with a Roland Cube.
Maybe get an EMG for the neck...and a Semour Duncan for the bridge. U could use the neck pickup for metal, and the bridge for blues. If ur willing to go that far...
Quote by triple_X_maniac
AMERICA FTW!!!

lol jk we suck

<A HREF=

<A HREF=
EMG's rule. My new guitar has the 81/85 and their great. They'd be alright for Blues Rock to. I do not have a tube amp though so i'm probably not getting the full sound of them. I'll buy one of those next.
EMG might suit death metal depending on the amp you have, I wouldn't use them for blues though :S
IF you gone go with EMG's i suggest 81/60,cuz you gone need the clean sound.

If your lookin for other opinions i would say Duncan Jb/59
Quote by obey_yourmaster
Maybe get an EMG for the neck...and a Semour Duncan for the bridge. U could use the neck pickup for metal, and the bridge for blues. If ur willing to go that far...

an active and passive set is hard to wire up, if you can get the wiring diagram it might work, but the pots have different resistances. EMGs are perfect in a LP for death metal but same as every1 else not great for blues, there not that bad but there abit sterile/clinical. there a bit too accurate and not very warm. perfect for metal but they dont sound quite right for blues. im using a 81/60 set in an alder guitar, so with mahogany it could sound alright. try out a zakk wild custom to test it
It is better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

1. My friends turtle peed on me and I didnt even know turtles could pee.

member #20 of the black tooth club
member #72 of the metal militia
Yeah I was was worried about the amp... Can anyone suggest any other good pups that don't run over about $80 each?
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jul 12, 2006,
I made these recordings through a stock computer mic (cheapy) and just put it up to the amp and opened windows default sound recording program and recorded these little demos to here what the pickups sound like for sifferent styles. The fist part of each one is just palm muted D and A chord, the second is an alternative rock (think u2) style riff, and the third is an "out of the box" pentatonic scale and the fourth is just a normal pentatonic scale.

Click here to watch Jazz-Distorted
Click here to watch JB-Distort
Click here to watch Jazz-Clean
Click here to watch JB-Clean
Gear:
Fender '72 Telecaster Custom Black
Fender American Strat Chrome Blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry (Jazz/JB)
Takamine EG530SSC (acoustic)
VOX AD50VT
Ibanez Tube Screamer
E-H Deluxe Memory Man
Don't get EMGs. They are stale toneless garbage.

Not matter how you set your amp they will sound the same. They have this one preset tone and nothing else.

They have zero versatility and the 85 has a crappy clean.

If you are going to get EMGs get two 81 or an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.

But seriously get duncans or dimarzios. They have an organic breathing tone that emgs do not have. Passive pickups are just so much more versatile and sound better.

Oh BTW enjoy having your battetry run out in the middle of a gig.
I'd say go with an emg 81 in the neck and Seymour Duncan's in the bridge, that way u can have a bit of both worlds.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Don't get EMGs. They are stale toneless garbage.

Not matter how you set your amp they will sound the same. They have this one preset tone and nothing else.

They have zero versatility and the 85 has a crappy clean.

If you are going to get EMGs get two 81 or an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.

But seriously get duncans or dimarzios. They have an organic breathing tone that emgs do not have. Passive pickups are just so much more versatile and sound better.

Oh BTW enjoy having your battetry run out in the middle of a gig.

lol That would suck.

I was thinking of Dimebuckers, a friend of mine has them and says they're really nice for his style (And he taught me most of what I know). Anyone have any experience with them?
Dickless.
I have the 81 in the bridge position and the 85 in the neck. I put them in a cheap double cutaway Ibanez and when I split the pickups (bridge volume 5, neck volume between 3-4) it sounds incredible. Blow off that Roland cube (that'd transitor, right?) and you wont need a distortion box. Get a really good echo box (spend the money, get something good like 'Echo Park'), the Phase 90 by MXR (or you could flange some sound either/or) and play out of any good Marshall or a Fender amps with tubes and you'll have this sound that will impress. Good luck.
I hate it when people say things like that. I agree that emgs have a very different tone, but not that the tone sucks. Try out a LP with EMGs and a Lp with duncans, and you be the judge. And If I were you, I would not mix passives and actives. The reason you dont see many guitars with both is because it does not work well.

If you go active, I would reccomend an EMG 81 in the bridge, and an EMG 60 in the neck, as the cleans from the 60 are very good (better than the 85 or 81).

If you go passive, get a duncan JB in the bridge and a duncan '59 in the neck.

If you play little else than metal type music, get the emgs. If you play other things more, or just like the tone better in passives, get them.

And if you must mix passives and actives, Get the emg 81 in the bridge, and a duncan '59 in the neck, because metal is played in the bridge and blues is played in the neck.
Quote by hessian101
I hate it when people say things like that. I agree that emgs have a very different tone, but not that the tone sucks. Try out a LP with EMGs and a Lp with duncans, and you be the judge. And If I were you, I would not mix passives and actives. The reason you dont see many guitars with both is because it does not work well.

If you go active, I would reccomend an EMG 81 in the bridge, and an EMG 60 in the neck, as the cleans from the 60 are very good (better than the 85 or 81).

If you go passive, get a duncan JB in the bridge and a duncan '59 in the neck.

If you play little else than metal type music, get the emgs. If you play other things more, or just like the tone better in passives, get them.

And if you must mix passives and actives, Get the emg 81 in the bridge, and a duncan '59 in the neck, because metal is played in the bridge and blues is played in the neck.

I don't just play metal, I mainly play hard rock, somwhere in between Stone Sour and Metallica softer stuff (one, Fade to Black) And I want something that will do hard rock very well, and the cleans at least serviceable
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jul 13, 2006,
oh comeone everyone what the **** is up with people going "active on one side and passives on another"? actives/passives mix about as well as ketchup and oil, especially if you want a balanced output from both. you need separate pots for each pickup, and it really is just too much of a pain in the ass for most players.
although i find the jb is reccomended alot, i find it is a bit too twangy for me, you might want to try them out first. i find duncan customs are very versatile try that in the bridge. 59's are fine for the neck.
an emg 89 in the bridge and a 60 (or 60a) in the neck would give you sc options as well, great for lots of versatility. the 89 might sound a bit dark though, and it would be much better if you had a tube preamp to push with that kind of output.
also check out the swineshead warthog set, lower output but still versatile.