Excuse the meaningless title.

I'm looking to get a new guitar, something between $300-$400 if I'm going to get it new. I haven't been playing for too long (a few months now) and this will be my second guitar. The genres I typically play would be rock/alternative, trad rock, and punk rock. If I had to list some guitarists my style's been influenced by, I would say I prefer Tom Morello and John Frusciante. What I really want is a versatile guitar. Right now, I'm looking into getting a Mexican Fat Strat (HSS), but I'm really open to a lot of suggestions. Oh and btw, right now I have an old special edition Epiphone Les Paul.

So with all of that ^ in mind... I'd like to hear some suggestions.

One more thing- If I go with a fat strat, I was wondering what kind of tremelo system it had on it. Am I going to have to replace it because it's really crap, or is it good enough to get by? I'm not wanting (and I know it doesn't have) a Floyd Rose or anything, just something decent.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
She grew on him like she was a colony of
E. Coli, and he was
room-temperature Canadian beef.

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
It was an American tradition, like
fathers chasing kids around with
power tools.
Last edited by Disarming Smile at Jul 12, 2006,
Quote by smb
Get the Mexican fat strat. And put a proper title next time.

Only did that because everyone disregards these "getting a new guitar" threads. XD And I don't blame them.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
E. Coli, and he was

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
power tools.
The new mexican strats have new trems with fatter blocks for more sustain. They're stable as long as you don't use them. I guess they're fine for the occasional "wangggggg" sound, but don't expect to be able to pull it up and down like a Floyd.

It's a good guitar though. Besides that, I'd also recommend the 70's strat.
Dont get a fender..They are too cliche..And if youve only been playing for a couple months why would you get a new guitar?..If anything get a new amp.A guitar is only like 95 percent of the sound
Quote by TogaskaterJZ
Dont get a fender..They are too cliche..And if youve only been playing for a couple months why would you get a new guitar?..If anything get a new amp.A guitar is only like 95 percent of the sound

Too much sense there, you gotta consider the emotions, too, as in "Another guitar is what I really want, just because ..."
Yeah, I've only been playing for almost half a year but I wanted to expand upon my sound. In addition to that, the guitar I have now is starting to show some age and develop some problems. In short- I figured I'd rather get a new guitar than try to upgrade and fix this one which is only going to get older and isn't that great in the first place.

But I did consider (instead) buying a good amp and some other equipment. If I were to do that, what should I look for? I probably won't be playing gigs anytime too soon, so keep that in mind. :p
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
E. Coli, and he was

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
power tools.
Agile strats 2800 and up come with nice Wilkinson trems or PRS SE models the fat strat H-S-S and 3 single models.
look at schecter's, if you can get an elite used on ebay (c-1 or s-1) they're good guitars. The strat is a good path though, one of my buds has one and swapped out the pups and it sounds like a million bucks now, so it's very upgradable. Also check out epi's les pauls, if you like the guitar you have now somewhat, then they might interest you.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
Maybe I should get a good amp instead... Bah, I don't know what to do now.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
E. Coli, and he was

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
power tools.
Haha, if only. :p Unfortunately I wouldn't have enough money to get what I wanted in both categories.
Quote by Bad Analogy #1
E. Coli, and he was

Quote by Bad Analogy #2
power tools.
*get a job*
thats what i did and now i have alot of money.
try it.
it works.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt