Ok, a store near me has one of these vintage Silvertone Acoustics in somewhat decent shape. It would need new tuners, new bridge pegs, possibly a new bridge, new strings and a good cleaning.

The neck looked straight from what I saw, but I didn't pick it up to examine it.

Here's the same kind of guitar on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130004867196

The one I saw today had a few deep scratches, but they were just cosmetic. Also, it only has three strings on it-would that cause the neck to warp?

I wouldn't spend much on it. Maybe offer $20-$25 for it and see if they'll take it. Then put another $50 or so into repairs.

Would it be worth it for a nice, vintage acoustic?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Yeah, that would be pretty nice, just make sure the neck isn't warped.
How can I be positive that it isn't warped?

Also, were these good quality guitars, or just plywood in the shape of an acoustic?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
The silvertones are usually pretty well made.

I don't know any other way to make sure it's straight than pick it up and examine it.
Do you know what the Silvertones are made of wood-wise? Are they solid top acoustics?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^silvertone is the old sears guitar. They are pure crap, but they are collectable. It's not often you get one that is in good shape which is also part of the reason they are collectable. The guitar is going to be solid plywood and is only going to be of value to a collectore that wants to buy back his childhood or to a person that can sell it to that man that wants his childhood back.

BTW, it's only worth anything if you keep the parts original. Keep the bridge, tuners, and all the other stuff that makes it play out of tune and sound bad because that is what makes if valuble.
Not taking any online orders.
Yikes. I was looking at it as possibly a spare acoustic...I guess I'll be passing that one up.

It's in decent condition body-wise, but severely needs new tuners and new bridge pegs. It's missing 3 of each.

Also, it looked like solid wood from the top-is it just a veneer?

Oh, and for the value thing, I don't think it's a huge price difference. They're going for like $25 on Ebay.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Anyone else have some info on this guitar?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
Yikes. I was looking at it as possibly a spare acoustic...I guess I'll be passing that one up.

Also, it looked like solid wood from the top-is it just a veneer?

Silvertone did make some guitars with solid tops but not very many, so it would be a gamble. Do you feel lucky?

Silvertone used ladder bracing on top instead of X bracing with a lot of their gutiars which will make it sound a lot different than a "normal" guitar today. The necks on these guitars usualy have no trussrod, the fretboards have no radius and the fret wire is really small. This can make it difficult to play but changes the sound a bit too.

All and all, these guitars are a lot of fun to play with. They are kinda like a toy for musicians and if that is what you are looking for and you can get one for $25 then get it. If you are looking for a "real guitar" then you should look somewhere else.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 13, 2006,