Are older Squiers any good? A local store I was at today had an antique white Squier Strat and amp for $200. The thing is, though, that they haven't taken trade ins for quite a while. I'm assuming it's quite a few years old. I don't know the specific model, or even where it's made.

Basically, I need to know what Squiers that came, or still come in antique white with 3 single coil pups that are good so that I can tell if this guitar is decent. I've read that Japanese Squiers are as good as MIM Fenders-Is that true?

Also, the amp that goes with it looks VERY old. It looks almost nothing like the current Squier 10w amps. I'm going to look up some pictures of it and the guitar now if I can find it. I'll edit if I find any.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I have a MIJ Squier from 1983. It has Fender-stamped hardware, including the 3-bolt neckplate. As I understand it, these were produced using MIA Fender parts. Mine is superior to a MIM I used to have. I've seen some '83 JV and SQ MIJ Squier Strats sell for almost $400 ... and these are over 20 years old, older than most UGers.
I'm pretty sure this is it. Although the one I saw didn't appear to have a trem (and no sticker crap on it).

It had the same exact gigbag though.

EDIT: It would help if I actually put the link, wouldn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-White-Japan_W0QQitemZ330005701228QQihZ014QQcategoryZ47070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
the old 80's squiers are more than likely parts from a jap fender which were never used, they are meant to be good quality
Quote by Ippon
The bridge has Fender stamped on the saddles, the 3-bolt neckplate also has Fender om it + the serial numbers beginning with either JV or SQ .... what stickers?

^The Japanese Squier in the Ebay link I posted above is covered with stickers. It's at ~$160 for the top bid.

With these Japanese Squiers, are they all good quality, or are some (maybe slightly newer ones?) made of plywood or laminates?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Are all Japanese Squiers high quality like the 80's ones, or are the newer ones garbage? I'm not quite sure if it's from the 80's because it's in pretty good shape from what I could see. It could have just been kept in good condition by the old owner, but it may also be newer. Although not *too* new as the store stopped taking trade-ins years ago. I'm not sure how many years, but probably more than 5.

Basically, are Japanese Strats from 5+ years ago all good quality, or are the newer ones much lower in quality?

Also, how can I determine the year from the serial number?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
someone i know has an old japenese white squier strat, it is really good, but he prefers it to his real Gibson LP for some reason, he's also got a gibson acoustic, i swear hes bbloody rich
Wow. He prefers the MIJ Squier to his Gibson LP? Damn I hope this guitar is a MIJ......I guess I'll find out next time I'm in there.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
the only good fender japans are in the 70's and the 70's only, when they had to compete with quality, i have a 1976 fender jap strat, amazing quality, the hardware and stuff left over after fender japan stopped went into the old 80's squiers
What about early-mid 90's squiers? Are they still the same quality as the 80's Squiers, or are they as shoddy as other current Squiers?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by thatguy147
the only good fender japans are in the 70's and the 70's only, when they had to compete with quality, i have a 1976 fender jap strat, amazing quality, the hardware and stuff left over after fender japan stopped went into the old 80's squiers

Huh? I thought Fender Japan was established 1982 and production for Fender Strats started in 1984, while the JV Squier series started 1982 and the SQ Squier series started 1983.

Dates for Japanese Fenders including Squiers

Interested to know more about '76 MIJ Fenders ... you have links? Thanks.
^Ippon for the win.

So, are these Japanes Squiers only one type, or are there ten different versions like regular Squiers?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
^Ippon for the win.

So, are these Japanes Squiers only one type, or are there ten different versions like regular Squiers?

There are probably different versions but I'm not that familiar with them ... what I've read/heard/been told is that the 3-bolt neckplate JV series > 3-bolt SQ series > later 4-bolt. From what I've seen, most MIJ Strats, Fenders and Squiers, specially Fenders, and even the copies from Schecter, older Fernandes, etc. are very well-made. Same story with the MIJ LPs from Epiphone, Orville, Burny, Tokai, etc., specially those with the "open bookmark" headstocks and "correct" lower horn cutaway like the Gibson LP.
Quote by Xenn99
I've read that Japanese Squiers are as good as MIM Fenders-Is that true?

No they ain't, they are as good as MIJ Fenders, well actully they are MIJ Fenders, first they were called Squier, but then they moved teh Squier factory and jsut renamed the old one to Fender.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by thatguy147

You sir are full of sh!t!!!
Quote by Ippon
Huh? I thought Fender Japan was established 1982 and production for Fender Strats started in 1984, while the JV Squier series started 1982 and the SQ Squier series started 1983.

Dates for Japanese Fenders including Squiers

Interested to know more about '76 MIJ Fenders ... you have links? Thanks.

I know he has no links. He probably doesn't have a MIJ Fender.
Quote by Xenn99
^Ippon for the win.

Correct!