So, my mom and I are in this store, and I see a 4-string in the corner (this is a mostly clothes store). It said Gibson on the headstock, but the plate where the neck bolts on said Epiphone. It's violin-shaped, black, if I remember correctly, with a pickguard, single humbucker, tone and volume knobs, and they wanted $250 for it. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it.
Member #4 of the "I have parents over 50 and i'm a teen" club, pm tanglewoodguit to join.
Last edited by altosaxgeek5 at Jul 12, 2006,
Yeah Epiphone makes a Violin bass. I dont think i've heard of Gibson making one. But $250 dollars would be the price of a Epiphone. Different companies make those kinds of basses, more knownly Hofner then Epiphone.
well it couldve been an electric violin, if the strings were thick like bass strings then it was probably a cello or a violin bass

You mean like this one?? They were pretty famous because they were used by the beatles, as far as I know.
^paul mccartney used a hofner. and they arent that great of basses, but since he used it, it must be the best bass ever (kings new clothes senario)

but i havnt played an epi, but i know the hofner and jay turser basses are set neck. but how you are describing it, it dosent sound like a violin bass

I'm positive it was a violin bass.
I was just wondering, because I've seen the Hofner and Jay Turser violin basses, but never seen one by Epi.
Member #4 of the "I have parents over 50 and i'm a teen" club, pm tanglewoodguit to join.
although Paul mcarteny played one I really don't see the appeal of violin bass, it's rather annoying after a while (in my opinion at least, I am very fallible)
although Paul mcarteny played one I really don't see the appeal of violin bass, it's rather annoying after a while (in my opinion at least, I am very fallible)

Apparently he bought it because it didn't look out of place as a left-handed bass.
Quote by GnFnR
Yeah Epiphone makes a Violin bass. I dont think i've heard of Gibson making one. But $250 dollars would be the price of a Epiphone. Different companies make those kinds of basses, more knownly Hofner then Epiphone.

Gibson made them in the 50s, if you ever see the film 'Rock Around The Clock' (which I doubt) you'll see the Little Richard Band's Bassist using one.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by kaptink
Apparently he bought it because it didn't look out of place as a left-handed bass.
He bought it because it was cheap and at that time he was poor.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn