What do i need to get a paintjob like this?
Also can i get the stuff i need at wal-mart?
if u want a guitar like one of those **** pile first act ones then u can go to wal-mart. other than that look online u probably can find stuff u need
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
Quote by ImNotSmart
if u want a guitar like one of those **** pile first act ones then u can go to wal-mart. other than that look online u probably can find stuff u need

i believe he's looking for materials to paint an existing guitar.

u'd need to find some transparent blue paint...i think
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
the black lines would come from the wood

that's why you want transparent paint
First of all, you're not going to get the 'black' without any sort of figured top. Secondly, Wal*Mart DOES sell spray paint, Dupli-Color to be exact. The 'METALCAST' stuff they sell is tinted lacquer, and they have it in blue and red I believe. It's just what you're looking for.
Strat is the shape of the wood you are using, its like the fender stratocaster guitar
^ most likely no. But i don't see why you need a figired top to do that finish.
i dont think u do, a guy painted a strat body like i want too and it looks awesome
Metalcast would NOT be the paint for this job. It is to give METAL an anodized look. I've painted a computer case with it, and it is very finicky about details, and quite frankly, it sucks balls.

Spray cans will work, but a spray gun would work best. Use dupli-color lacquer. I would get the dark blue, and after priming, spray a LIGHT coat of it. Do a couple of light coats so it retains a transparent look, let it dry for a couple of days, then sand it smooth, clear coat it, wax, ect and....BAM!

Just be patient and pay attention to details. Otherwise it could look like Julia Roberts' face when you're done.

If it turns out your guitar's body doesn't have any figuring or whatnot that you like, you could try putting a decal on it that would resemble a figured top, but it would be easy to buy a figured body from a dealer.

All in all, give it a shot, you'll get some experience, and then you can buy a nice maple neck and mahogany body w/ a quilted maple top and paint that..
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jul 13, 2006,
yeah this is gonna be my first painting anything right, and i will get a quilt top when i get a job..
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Metalcast would NOT be the paint for this job. It is to give METAL an anodized look. I've painted a computer case with it, and it is very finicky about details, and quite frankly, it sucks balls.

It only gives the metal anodized look if you use the primer under neath it. If you don't use the primer it's simply a trans lacquer. All spray paints suck quite frankly, but not everyone wants to buy a compressor and gun to spray one guitar body.

From the picture, it looked like a quilted top (I didn't look really hard, just kinda a quick glance at the thumbnail, but if it's a real deal strat the body is made of alder, which isn't an open grained wood so the wood filler would'nt be as pronounced as the picture. The picture is more like mahogany grain filled.
Last edited by tuberculosis at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by tuberculosis
It only gives the metal anodized look if you use the primer under neath it. If you don't use the primer it's simply a trans lacquer. All spray paints suck quite frankly, but not everyone wants to buy a compressor and gun to spray one guitar body.

From the picture, it looked like a quilted top (I didn't look really hard, just kinda a quick glance at the thumbnail, but if it's a real deal strat the body is made of alder, which isn't an open grained wood so the wood filler would'nt be as pronounced as the picture. The picture is more like mahogany grain filled.

hand painting is the best
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff