guys i just took the strap buttons off of my vintage g-400 and put the schaller ones on, but the screws that were already on the guitar are too wide to use, and the new ones that came w/ the locks arent quite wide enough to fit pretty tight in the hole. what should i do?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Put toothpics in the hole and break them off fand then shoot glue in there and out the screw in
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
i cant use the original screws, the wont fit in the new strap buttons and i dont feel comfortable shovin toothpics in my brand new guitar, ne one else?
Lunatics on pogo sticks
the only way i can think of doing it would be to take a wooden dowell and stick it in there with some glue. then let that dry and screw the schaller screws in there. it won't damage your guitar. wood glue cleans up with a paper towl and water. even when its dry and setup.
Just file down the original screws till they fit the strap buttons.

The heads of the scews that is.
toothpicks in the hole as many as u can cram in there, then u rescrew thru the new wood.
^like said.

and this happens all the time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i dont want to try to shove stuff in there then try to screw it in and end up cracking my guitar or something
Lunatics on pogo sticks
It wont crack unless you put like a ton of pressure on to the screw on the strap button
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Bring it to your local shop.
Gear:
72' Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
MIM Telecaster Relic.
Gibson SG Standard
Peavey Classic 100 w/
72' Marshall Spec Ed. 4x12
toothpicks do work, you wont crack it unless if your using a drill press or something to screw it in.
Why would it crack?

This is something ever guitarist must do when they put new locks on.....fill the hole with toothpicks and wood glue, and screw the locks in. I promise you, after it dries, the locks will never budge.

I did it to my guitar (had the same problem as you)! Works perfectly!
with whole toothpicks or should i break it up
Lunatics on pogo sticks
There's 2 ways you can do this, and either will work equally well. Only one will be more durable and more 'professional'.

The first is the toothpick idea. I've done this many times in the past and it's always worked. Just wet a couple of toothpicks with wood glue or white glue, and jam them in the holes. Trim of the excess. Once the glue dries, screw in the new screws and strap buttons. This will hold pretty well, but you will probably find the screws will come loose after a while of heavy use.

The second is to fill the screw holes with wooden dowels. You get a thin dowel that fits into the screw holes tightly. You put glue in the hole, and twist the dowel in, cutting the excess length. Then when the glue is dry, you drill in a new hole, and install the new strap button. This is the 'correct' way to do it and it should basically hold for the lifetime of your guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor