well i thought bout giving up sweep picking cuz to me it feels to me like it's just some fast notes played on top of each other so i started alternate picking arpeggios and i found that i had more control on the notes i want to skip or whatever.

any comments ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
i used to use sweep picking but i hated how it sounds because u can't take full control like alternate picking.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

^i know that but i think alternate picking arpeggios in sweep picking speed is a challenge so i would challenge myself + these days i'm preventing to sweep even note on any string.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

^ John jones is right, however i am having a hell of a time doing sweep picking properly as well and it ticks me off too (i've been playing for 10 years so when i can't master something fairly quickly on guitar it gets on my nerves to say the least) but i always recommend that its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...... so i keep practicing even though it drives me nuts! i recommend the same for anyone.
man i can sweep the **** outta my ass very good but i used to like it but now i just wanna stop the damn **** so i still got the technique down but i wanna stop using it.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

If I want a shit, I go for a shit - if you want to stop sweep picking, stop sweep picking.

Where exactly do you have a problem?
i'm just asking if i should stop it or what ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

If you want to stop using it, it's up to you really. Nobody tells a guy he needs to do more sweeping. Am I missing something?
u can do it dude,,, ,,, ,,, it took me a while to get
sweep pickin down pat,, it jez takes sum practice...
if u do things the right way instead of the way it feels
more comfortable,, it will help in the long run >>>>>>>>>>>
suk it!
Quote by Johnljones7443
^Yes you can - if you do it properly, you can make it sound how you like.

You'd struggle to sweep with as much attack or with as many dynamic options mid-run as strict alternate. Im not even sure how possible it is at speed.

Anyway, go ahead, quit sweeping. Doesnt sound like it's doing you any good, and its possible to control every note so much more fully with legato or alternate picking. And it's easier to be clean!
Quote by Freepower
You'd struggle to sweep with as much attack or with as many dynamic options mid-run as strict alternate. Im not even sure how possible it is at speed.

Uh huh... it just sounded to me that he wanted to give it up because he wasn't able to do it properly, hence it sounding like shit. Where as if he had a clean & controlled sweep he might be able to retain some dynamic hold on the thing.

I'd still urge him to just give it a rest for a while, as opposed to dismissing it, though.
Honestly, if I where you, I'd do something with sweep picking technique to make it sound good to my liking. But seriously man, it's just like a bunch of people said. If I don't like to do drugs, then I don't do drugs anymore.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Well, imo, you should still learn sweep picking just in case you need to use it someday. Wouldn't you rather be able to do it and choose not to than not be able to do it at all?
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
^i know that but i think alternate picking arpeggios in sweep picking speed is a challenge so i would challenge myself + these days i'm preventing to sweep even note on any string.

i believe a bigger challenge would be to retain the dynamics of your pick attack WHILE sweeping...economy of motion is one of the best ways to increase speed (along with proper technique and such) so practicing it slowly and intently watching for technical flaws will help you more than alternate picking every note because it would be too much of a hassle and create unecessary movement in the picking hand as opposed to sweeping...but it also depends on the style of music you play...if you play slow blues phrasing and such than alternate picking may be best suited for you
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Well, imo, you should still learn sweep picking just in case you need to use it someday. Wouldn't you rather be able to do it and choose not to than not be able to do it at all?

Does that apply to slap guitar, harmonic legato and 10 finger tapping?

Choosing what to learn is a reality of guitar. I don't have time to master slap guitar, and dont really want to even "learn how to do it".

Sure, sweeping is more generally accepted as useful, but in practice it's annoying to improv with or eco pick with PG dynamics - which may be exactly what he wants!

Uh huh... it just sounded to me that he wanted to give it up because he wasn't able to do it properly, hence it sounding like ****. Where as if he had a clean & controlled sweep he might be able to retain some dynamic hold on the thing.

I'd still urge him to just give it a rest for a while, as opposed to dismissing it, though.

Fo sho.
Yeah, there's nothing that says you have to use a given technique. But, the more
difficult things you avoid in your playing, the shallower your playing will become.

Personally, sweep picking is a technique I find very important to know. There's
just some things you won't be able to play without it. Cross-picking is not a
real substitution. It's just different. Sweeping can have lots and lots of dynamics,
but it's its own dynamic.
i'm more of a jazz (Fusion) guitarists than a shredder so i got my technique with jazzists and bout all fusion guitarists don't sweep except frank gambale.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

^ shawn, guthrie...

Your choice consists of making it a fluent dialect of your improvising vocabulary, integrating it to the point where it's as controlled and useful as the rest of your technique, or ditching it.

The same choice will apply to a lot of things, but i would keep at least a basic and polished awareness of sweeping lying around your playing, just in case you need it!
Shawn Sweeps ?
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Johnljones7443
If I want a shit, I go for a shit - if you want to stop sweep picking, stop sweep picking.

Where exactly do you have a problem?

Words of wisdom. Jj never ceases to amaze me.

And, as usual, Freepower is right.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
sorry << new guitarist, whats the difference between sweep picking and alternate picking?
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
sweep picking is say moving from a grouping of strings in one fluid motion (down or upstroke)

e---------------12---------------14---
B---------13--------------15----------
G--12---------------14----------------

whereas alternate picking is using up and down strokes to consolidate your picking motion to get the fastest movement out of your hands (i believe, if i am wrong someone please correct me) so that you don't use just downstrokes (or upstrokes if your weird and ska like that)
to add to that, economy picking would be a mixture between sweep and alternate picking i.e. sweeping when alternating strings and alternate picking single strings...it's good for 3nps scales or certain runs utilizing even string skips...it's great to incorporate into your playing; great for adding fluidity to your picking
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
to add to that, economy picking would be a mixture between sweep and alternate picking i.e. sweeping when alternating strings and alternate picking single strings...it's good for 3nps scales or certain runs utilizing even string skips...it's great to incorporate into your playing; great for adding fluidity to your picking

So basically, you just pick in the direction of the string you are going to pick.
yes, like i find myself more of an "inside" picker (if that's the term), so i usually just sweep while switching strings...it may not be for the "i religiously stick to alternate picking no matter what" players like Steve Morse, but it depends on the person and their playing style
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

^thats my point , am like Steve morse and Al Di meola
Quote by Jimi Hendrix

^speaking of al de meola, he hates sweep picking, he just alt picks everything. So if he can, you can if you want to
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]