The iron maiden bassist (forgot name) i noticed can pluck very fast, so i watched Rock in Rio and saw that he does not pluck but it looks like just taps the string, anybody else notice??
Steve Harris, uses all four fingers for his rhythms. He more twats the strings rather than taps.
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
are you sure he uses all 4? I always thought he used jsut the 2..but his whole hand moved with them.
he definately does not use all 4 fingers. he uses 2 fingers, and just moves his hand awhole lot more than he needs to, its to get that funny tone of his.
^ I always thought he was well know for the raked three finger triplets thing
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
A lot of people have said that in an interview he stated using 2 fingers.

A lot of people ALSO have said that in an interview he stated using 3/4 fingers.

but anyway, if you wanna play the way he does, wether or not he uses 2 fingers, its probly best you move onto atleast 3. its much better for galloping.
Quote by mangablade
but anyway, if you wanna play the way he does, wether or not he uses 2 fingers, its probly best you move onto atleast 3. its much better for galloping.

i would highly advise this. i use 3, and even that's a workout for some songs, like Infinite Dreams and Powerslave. it looks to me like he uses either 2 or 3.

i would imagine it looks like he's "tapping" the strings because his fingers come straight in towards the pickups, rather than upwards. this would help to make for more efficient playing, as the other strings would keep you from over-plucking. the inward force also makes the strings click against the frets, a sound rather distictive of his playing.
I guess im lucky, i picked right up on 3 fingers like it was nothing. Well i guess my bass teaher kinda helped by telling me to come stright in on the string and not to pluck but tapp them.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
I play Maiden songs perfectly fine with 2 fingers. Once you know the golloping pattern of two fingers, you can build up to blazing speeds just as easily. Its a matter of preference. but yeah..I'm pretty sure he uses 2 fingers..
anyway steve harris is a kikass bassist
im a finger player

:quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
It's obvious that those songs were illegally downloaded, so Metallica wanted him to "ride the lightning," if you get my meaning.:quote:
I think I'll just state that he has/can use up to 4 fingers but that doesn't mean he does/will use all 4 at once, because personally I use 3 but in some situations I use 2. Either way his style would be characterised as raking and/or galloping regardless of how many fingers being used.
Quote by aviantiefling
i would highly advise this. i use 3, and even that's a workout for some songs, like Infinite Dreams and Powerslave. it looks to me like he uses either 2 or 3.

i would imagine it looks like he's "tapping" the strings because his fingers come straight in towards the pickups, rather than upwards. this would help to make for more efficient playing, as the other strings would keep you from over-plucking. the inward force also makes the strings click against the frets, a sound rather distictive of his playing.

Yeah I noticed that a lot of bassists kinda "tap" the strings, but when I do that, it doesn't seem to work very well... it tends to click and stuff... do I need a lower action or something?
^Wikipedia isn't exactly reliable.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
youre right, its PRETTY reliable, but as i said, a lot of people say 2, a lot say 3/4. end of story, its not that big of a deal and shouldnt influence you too much on wether or not you'll pick up on 3/4 finger picking.
^ yeah i agree. plus bass is an extension of your personality and everyone plays and feels different on the bass cuz noone is made exactly the same so don't worry how any fingers he has if you want to try and mimic him lol cuz it may not benefit you cuz u aren't him people lol
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112