Page 1 of 2
no your right... they actually had their guitars tuned... and rock the casbah...how is a piano punk? but they still ****ing rock no matter what they are
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
"The Clash" sounded like punk to me.
But then I got "London Calling" and that sounds more like classic rock to me. So I wouldn't say you're an idiot.
The Self Titled, it was punk as ****.

London Calling, still punk rawk, but losing its feel.

The rest, they pretty much were a disco group.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
They went over to many styles to be called anything but "rock"
The first album was classic punk, the second was punk with a bit of a more rock n roll feel to it, london calling was just about every genre there is, and after that they kept on playing whatever music they liked, not really sticking to one genre.

But its not really the sound that makes a band punk. That contributes to it, but its not essential. For example, the dead boys had a classic rock n roll sound, but if you said they weren't punk i'd have to kill you.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by pistols
They went over to many styles to be called anything but "rock"
The first album was classic punk, the second was punk with a bit of a more rock n roll feel to it, london calling was just about every genre there is, and after that they kept on playing whatever music they liked, not really sticking to one genre.

But its not really the sound that makes a band punk. That contributes to it, but its not essential. For example, the dead boys had a classic rock n roll sound, but if you said they weren't punk i'd have to kill you.

Seconded.
The Clash were hugely influenced by the glam bands that came before them.

The song "All The Young Punks" is the Clash's answer to Mott The Hoople's "All The Young Dudes" and sounds alot like Mott's song "Saturday Gigs".

Also, the Clash song "Radio Clash" sounds just like glam band Roxy Music's "Love Is The Drug".
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Lots of bands change from punk to something else.

Take X for example.

But The Clash are pretty punk, even when it got a little strange in the end.

Should I stay or Should I go?

Haha.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
That's true.
X were always a bit weird though, with their love of roots Americana shtuff.
"Adult Books", the 1st single, doesn't really sound like a punk song, to me.

X did continue to do punk songs until after their 3rd album.
Songs from "More Fun In The New World", such as "True Love", "Painting The Town Blue" and "I See Red" could have been on "Los Angeles".
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Yeah, but X really just turned away from punk. Some of it's like "wtf? This isnt punk. It's like a ****ing western!"

The Clash always had a slight Punk root in them, take note of the singular form.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
X turned away from punk, because the punk they played had died and was replaced by hardcore.
A bunch of punk bands did the "cowpunk" thing, because they didn't wanna do hardcore, for whatever reason.
They didn't fit in with the likes of FEAR and Agnostic Front and they didn't want to.

I've seen several interviews with John Doe where he talks about being on stage playing the song "Johnny Hit And Run Pauline" and seeing the hardcore meatheads in the crowd cheering, but not in the way he wanted.
It's supposed to be an anti-rape song and he felt that they were making it into a pro-rape song, so they changed their sound so that those kinds of people wouldn't like them anymore.
Quote by sargasm

Oh. Well that changes things.

I guess I could understand that.

I guess it's "illegal" to mention Nirvana in this thread but, they had a similar situation with some of their songs, taken the wrong way such as "Polly", also an Anti-Rape song.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
Um. No. Polly was a song about Kurts mind.
You could be right, but thats not what I read somewhere.

Polly want a cracker, think that i should offer first.

Sounds anti-rape to me.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
Quote by skateguitar7654
You could be right, but thats not what I read somewhere.

Polly want a cracker, think that i should offer first.

Sounds anti-rape to me.

OFF HER first.

And I heard it was about a girl who got raped. And Kurt read about it and wrote that song. I don't know if it was intended to be an anti-rape song though.
X were a punk band; they always were! Over time their music may have changed, but they were always punk. They just were. Just like the Germs. Or Circle Jerks. Sorry, but t's such a weird question to me. It's like a Jersey cow appears on a farm, and the pigs and chickens give the cow crap because she's so different, and then twenty years later it's mostly a Beefmaster farm, and the Beefmasters are sitting around wondering "Yes, but was that REALLY a cow??"

Huh. The mescaline must be kicking in.
No, polly was his mind. Kurts inner self. The owner in the song who is taking care of Polly is like Kurts life, the fame, the drugs, Courtney Love, Francis, all of the pressure. He wanted to Escape the owner as polly.
Hm, beats me.

Just something I heard.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
The reason I like The Clash is because they branched out from their punk roots. Listen to their first self titled album, it is straight up punk, with some reggae-ish tracks. Then with Give Em' Enough Rope you see them go further into rock. On London Calling there were a ton of musical influences, rock, reggae, punk, rockabilly, pop and the list goes on. Combat Rock had an almost disco like feel with some of the tracks, while the other pretty much stayed rock.
I personally think that many people who posted in this thread are complete ****ing ****wad twats.

The ones who aren't know who they are.
Quote by texas78621
X were a punk band; they always were! Over time their music may have changed, but they were always punk. They just were.

"4th of July" and "See How We Are" are NOT punk songs, by any stretch of the imagination.
X themselves admitted in several interviews that they changed their sound in order to get away from hardcore.

Many of the "first wave" punk bands changed, possum.
In addition to the Clash doing alot of disco.....
Red Rockers went new wave, as did Channel 3.
Misfits and Dead Kennedys went thrash and Black Flag started doing metal and stoner rock.
TSOL went goth, and Don Bolles and Rikk Agnew jumped onboard the goth bandwagon, with Don joining 45 Grave and Rikk joining Christian Death.

Quote by texas78621

Haha.
I thought it sounded like you were hitting that crack pipe once too often.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I personally think that many people who posted in this thread are complete ****ing ****wad twats.

The ones who aren't know who they are.

For thinking that some bands change?
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
The Clash were punk but the music changed over the years. Punk got very limited to what it could acheive after it broke out. Punk was said to have a freedom of what you wanted to be, its what u want it to be. I can see the change, playing what they liked and influenced them. I like the change they made because it showed that punk is not onyl the 3chord genre its always seen as. They also had the musical talent to go beyond punk music. I love the The Clash selftitled but London Calling is another album i love and im glad to have those tunes. Music hasnt been the same since
Here's how I see The Clash:

Self titled, Give Em Enough Rope-Punk

London Calling-Post-punk

Combat Rock-Hard Rock

I haven't heard their other stuff.
It seems more punk influenced musically but lyricaly its pretty punk, there also a bunch or reggea influences. The Clash were abit ahead for their time if you ask me
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
No, polly was his mind. Kurts inner self. The owner in the song who is taking care of Polly is like Kurts life, the fame, the drugs, Courtney Love, Francis, all of the pressure. He wanted to Escape the owner as polly.

Dude, that song was written in 1989. He wouldn't meet stardom or Love for another three years.
Well I dunno. I was pretty high, and I think I learned that in health class I can't remember.

sorry everyone.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Well I dunno. I was pretty high, and I think I learned that in health class I can't remember.

sorry everyone.

Hey man, pass the pipe...

Nemo, I think I just meant that the Clash were punk because they just were. (gee, that's a MUCH better explanation). Okay, let me try again...

I don't know how a band like X are now, since I haven't heard any of their stuff since Wild Gift, but if X was playing, you knew you were going to hear punk. This wasn't going to be any Madame Wong's crap; you knew you were going to get blown away. To me they'll always be punk, just like the Clash or Johnny Thunders or Black Flag, no matter what they do later. Do you know what I mean?
their weird and punk rock n roll.haha.
their guitarist was influenced by reggae,and they pretty much do soumd lke every genre there is man.
they still rock though.i dont know about the others but i loved self titled and sandanista.
Quote by texas78621

mmmmmmmmmhmmmmmm
Quote by soad_malakian
their weird and punk rock n roll.haha.
their guitarist was influenced by reggae,and they pretty much do soumd lke every genre there is man.
they still rock though.i dont know about the others but i loved self titled and sandanista.

wasn't it just the bassist that was into ska and reggae? he dressed as a rude boy when they were off stage, and apparently thats where the specials got their rude boy thing from.
i'm pretty sure it was mick who got them into playing heaps of those rock n roll tunes.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
I wouldn't call the Clash classic rock, because in the 70's it was more of how fast the band's played that made them punk. The live version of Should I Stay or Should I Go? I heard was played 50% faster than the original.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
No.

Why?
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
For saying The Clash aren't punk. As for X, I haven't heard anything past 1982. But there's some bands that just completely turn away from punk. Take D.R.I. There's no way you can call anything after Crossover punk. I don't know what Black Flag was doing, but you had punk-metal on My War, Jazz Metal on Slip It In and Loose Nut and god knows what on In My Head. They always had a kind of punk rock attitude, but you can't tell me that anything after My War is punk. Even calling My War punk is pushing it.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Jul 16, 2006,
No I consider My War punk.
Quote by pinheadslts75
For saying The Clash aren't punk. As for X, I haven't heard anything past 1982. But there's some bands that just completely turn away from punk. Take D.R.I. There's no way you can call anything after Crossover punk. I don't know what Black Flag was doing, but you had punk-metal on My War, Jazz Metal on Slip It In and Loose Nut and god knows what on In My Head. They always had a kind of punk rock attitude, but you can't tell me that anything after My War is punk. Even calling My War punk is pushing it.

Read the thread.
Look at some of the points made.
The Clash always were punk, they just had a slight turnaway from it.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
A slight turnaway?
There's not a single punk song on Sandanista, and very few "punky" songs on London Calling.
Face it, the Clash went disco/funk/whatever early on and didn't write another punk song until "Know Your Rights" on Combat Rock.

And X haven't done a "punk album", since the 3 tracks I mentioned on "More Fun In The New World".

This idea of once punk, always punk, is seriously flawed.
Quote by sargasm

Page 1 of 2