I'm looking to replace the emg hz pickups in my esp rs-200, but it has only a volume pot, and little room to route for a 9v battery, therefore I'm going with passives again.

Basically I want high-gain metal. Not nu-metal low end crap, but black/power,death/you-name-it metal. Children of Bodom, Dragonforce, old In Flames, ect. You get the idea. The emg-hz's just don't put out enough, plus I believe the wiring is nearly shot because I get shocked a lot, and there is buzzing unless I ground myself on the metal cap of the instrument cable. I realize alex laiho uses emg-hz's, but I believe mine are plain hz's, and not the hz-4's or whatnot he has.

Anyways, I'm pretty interested in the Bareknuckle miracle man and cold sweat, though I can't find whether or not they are actives. But I suppose I'd be willing to shell out the money for em if they were passives.

I've also looked into the real bill lawrence xl500s, though I hear they are tough to acquire, and I'm not sure about the copies on stew-mac. There are also the dimarzio x2n's or super 3's, though I know little about them or haven't heard them i suppose. Also been looking into the SD Dimebuckers.

If anyone could enlighten me to the high-gain world of passives (if that even exists) I would greatly appreciate it.
Bareknuckles are passive from my knowledge...quite a bit to shell out tho.

Btw I believe Alexi uses a single emg-hz4 with a gain booster.
I'm not sure if anyone will know who I'm talking about, but I'd like to nail insomnium's tone...I've got a 5150, just need the right pups...
Everyone at UG loves Swineheads
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Well then what do you recommend?

I say stick with BKP's
on that note the miracle man seems like an ideal choice, so prehaps check into the MM set.

Are cleans an issue with you?
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
So we have determined the BKP are all passives?

Actually I was looking into the MM pup in the bridge, and the Cold Sweat in the neck, due to I'd think a high output pup in the neck would make it too fat sounding and saturate the sound too much. Or that's what I think from what my EMG 85 does...

This isn't my main guitar, I'd just like better pups in it for jamming/ect, though I will occasionally use it live. I'm stuck between the EMG HZ-4 pup set and the BKP MM/CS set. The EMGs would cost half as much, and I am somewhat happy with the EMG HZ-1 pups that are currently installed, they just aren't high enough output and the hz-4's are considered the passive version of the 81's. Plus I bet they will **** out soon. I would be willing to shell out the additional $150 for the BKP set if it was worth it, and would be more metal oriented for the tones I'm looking for.

Or I could just spend the $150 and buy a metal muff and a rocktron nitro booster as well and see how that works. Anyone had any experience w/ the metal muff? It sounds 100x better than the Boss MT-2, and I'm looking for different ways to boost my dsl100 w/o piercing my eardrums. I'm going to experiment with multiple OD pedals (DOD yngwie, Boss SD-1, Maxon OD-9 or ibanez ts, Boss Blues Driver, Marshall bluesbreaker, you get the point.) or mxr distortion +.
yes, BKP are all passive as far as I know, the MM are for sure. I own a calibrated set, and I love them. They are one of my favorite pups, the output of an active with the dynamics of a passive. If I had the money, I would probably get all BKP's. I'd probably pick up an OD808 or TS9 in addition to boost the DSL, they work really well.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
So I've decided to get the MM calibrated set, I like the look of the open coils, but I've heard there is little difference in tone between covered and open, which I hope is true.

But I still have questions

How can I figure out the spacing I need (50 or 52 mm)? Once again I've got emg hz-1's, though I don't know if that could help anyone identify this.

Also, do I want the 4-conductor, or braided 2 wire conductor? I have no experience wiring up pickups, so I'll probably pay the $50 bucks to get it done professionally.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
So I've decided to get the MM calibrated set, I like the look of the open coils, but I've heard there is little difference in tone between covered and open, which I hope is true.

I emailed Tim, and he told me that covers will round the treble and bass response, slightly warming the tone. It's not going to be a huge difference though. What kind of wood are these going in?

But I still have questions

How can I figure out the spacing I need (50 or 52 mm)? Once again I've got emg hz-1's, though I don't know if that could help anyone identify this.

if you have a trem, you will want f-spaced for the bridge pup. It's wider spaced poles to accomodate the spacing of the trem.

Also, do I want the 4-conductor, or braided 2 wire conductor? I have no experience wiring up pickups, so I'll probably pay the $50 bucks to get it done professionally.

Thanks for the advice guys.

4 conductor allow you to split the humbucker, so it acts like a single coil. I personally like having the versatility of the 4 wire. If you never want to connect the tap wires to a switch for coil tapping, you can connect them together, and it's the same thing as using a 2 conductor hum.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The body is made of mahogany, though it is very light considering the star shape is somewhat resembling a razorback. I'm assuming that's good, considering mahogany's rep for deep tones and whatnot.

My guitar does have a floyd rose locking trem, so I'll need the 52 mms then?

I'll probably still go with the open coils, just for looks. I've got a 10-band eq plus a bbe sonic stomp to even it out if necessary.

Quite frankly I am going for straight-up metal tones, so versatility is not an issue. As you implied, the BKP will have poor cleans, though I once again could fix that with my eq, I plan on simply keeping it dirty all the time. Because I don't need the coil tap, I should get the 2 braided wire then?

Thank you very much for the help.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by lespaulrocks39
The body is made of mahogany, though it is very light considering the star shape is somewhat resembling a razorback. I'm assuming that's good, considering mahogany's rep for deep tones and whatnot.

yeah, they will sound good in mahogany, they were designed for an LP originally. I don't know if it was my wiring, but I was going send mine back to get covers. I had them in a mahogany C-1 FR, and they were a little too bright for my taste, they almost had a slight quack to them. I put them in a basswood RG temporarily, but they sound too good to move. It could have just been my wiring though, I used the stock electronics for the C-1, but I bought all new parts and a .047uF when I put them in the RG.

My guitar does have a floyd rose locking trem, so I'll need the 52 mms then?

yeah, if you want the poles to line up perfectly under the strings, otherwise, you will end up having the high E and low E slightly outside of the poles.

I'll probably still go with the open coils, just for looks. I've got a 10-band eq plus a bbe sonic stomp to even it out if necessary.

Quite frankly I am going for straight-up metal tones, so versatility is not an issue. As you implied, the BKP will have poor cleans, though I once again could fix that with my eq, I plan on simply keeping it dirty all the time. Because I don't need the coil tap, I should get the 2 braided wire then?

Thank you very much for the help.

I would still get the 4 wire. you just connect the coil tap wires together, and it's the same as a 2 wire. Considering they have a lifetime warranty, there is a good chance they could wind up in another guitar. It's nice to have the coil tap option if you ever decide you want it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the cleans on the MM, they are at least as good as any other high output pickup.
amp clips
amp vids
There's the new BKP that's out which i've hear good things about, the sig 'Rebel Yell' pup...

Just incase ur not too set on the MM...

EDIT: Soundclips

umm.... wow
Last edited by Dookie_1988 at Jul 13, 2006,