How do you do harmonics?

If a harmonic is what I think it is, how do they do that?

Like the thing they do at the beginning of Santa Monica, by Theory of a Deadman
wrong forum
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
i wont go into real technical terms about it (i'm sure somebody will) theres certain spots on the fret board that will cause a natural harmonic. the easiest is the 12th fret

put your finger on the string at the 12th fret
DO NOT! fret the note just lightly touch the string
play the string and pull your finger away.
plucking the string away from the fret board might be easier, i found it that way when i first learned to do so.
ya it's like the 5th 7th 12th and 19th are the "natural" harmonics

the theory of a dead man song you speak of is i think 7th fret harmonics maybe 12th i learned the song real quick once and forgot it

the artifical harmons and the lil finger ones that zakk wylde LOVES to use and those are a bit trickier you have to hit the string with the pick and then kinda of mute the string rite after with your thumb... its kinda tricky
Make sure your finger is directly over the metal of the 12th fret not in-between the frets where you would normally place your finger to get the note. Also lay your finger on the string without pressing the string against the fret board then strike the string with your finger or pick. The 12th fret is the easiest place to get harmonics. There are also six other fret areas: the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 16th, and 19th frets, which are a little more difficult to get harmonics. The 9th and the 16th frets are the most difficult to achieve harmonics particularly on the higher strings because your finger has to be exactly over that tiny little area over the fret. Make sure that when you strike those more difficult areas that you immediately remove your finger off the string at the same time you strike it with your finger or pick.
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
Quote by Rockbysea
Make sure your finger is directly over the metal of the 12th fret not in-between the frets where you would normally place your finger to get the note. Also lay your finger on the string without pressing the string against the fret board then strike the string with your finger or pick. The 12th fret is the easiest place to get harmonics. There are also six other fret areas: the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 16th, and 19th frets, which are a little more difficult to get harmonics. The 9th and the 16th frets are the most difficult to achieve harmonics particularly on the higher strings because your finger has to be exactly over that tiny little area over the fret. Make sure that when you strike those more difficult areas that you immediately remove your finger off the string at the same time you strike it with your finger or pick.

Actually, you can get natural harmonics anywhere over the fretboard, some are just more easier than others. You can also get natural harmonics PAST the fretboard, most easily being the 24th fret natural harmonic.
Ill try to explain in technical terms
Harmonics are over nodes. A node being a specific place where the string is divided into more then one equal parts.
The twelth fret harmonic is exactly half of the strings length, So by playing a 12th fret harmonic, the string vibrates above and below your finger, creating the harmonic sound. 12th is easiest because of the fact only two sections have to vibrate.
You can get harmonics in all sorts of places though, 2, 2.7, 3 3.5ish, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 11 12 often sound the same since the 12th fret node is fairly big. and so on.
But yea.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
For just some added info the song Santa Monica uses both the 12th and 7th frets for the harmonics.