Can someone explain what an effects loop is and what it does? i heard about some rack effects needing to be preamped so they go through there....i dont know
anything is helpful

thanks
Blood and Thunder
Quote by rossignolsg
Can someone explain what an effects loop is and what it does? i heard about some rack effects needing to be preamped so they go through there....i dont know
anything is helpful

thanks

An Effect loop is a feature of some amps that allows pedals and rackmount things to be totally cut from the main signal since they are not sent in-line from the guitar to the amp. I personally don't know how advantageous using an effects loop is versus if you were to run everything in line, but since many high end amps have them, and the people who use these amps use the effects loop, I can only imagine that they are useful.
A standard effects loop is basically an auxilary out from the amp which is then sent to effects units and then back to the amp and in some sort of auxilary input. Some amps also have "volume" knobs for the effects loop which I believe mixes in the effects signal so that it is not a totally "wet", or effects laden, signal.