So, I have a bass to fix. (I'm getting known as a repair guy amongst some friends it seems). It was dropped out of a stand, the neck (bolt on) pulled out, like, the screws stripped out. Well, someone fixed it and the owner thought that the person really fixed it, turns out the guy just screwed it back on: it's gonna break soon we are sure, hence I have it to fix. This guy is so-so about me fixing it with epoxy and toothpicks, so I told him I could use dowel rods: I'lluse it like a giant toothpick: I am not going to drill the holes out, fill with 1/4" dowel rod, redrill holes, all I plan to do is cut the rod/whittle it into a shape that fills the hole well, glue it in well. Anyways, my plan is to put the neck into the neck cavity, line it up well, and drill through the body into the neck, put int one screw, drill the next hole, etc. Will that work? I'm assuming the neck cavity has a decent hold on the neck, so the old holes should line up well, so it won't be screwed in at any different angle or anything that it is now. Advice??

Anyways, the neck will be replaced sometime regardless, it's fretless, and the guy wants a fretted neck. I'm going to surprise him though, the thing is pretty dirty and all, i can clean it up well, replace some rusting screws, etc, she should leave my house much cleaner than she is now
That sounds alright. Just double check the allinement before you drill the holes, it's quite common for necks to have some room to move in the pocket. Line up the neck correctly and clamp it in the pocket and then drill holes.
couldn't he jsut wood filler it and drill the screws back in?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Wood filler has very little structural strength, hes much better of filling with dowels.