Poll Options
View poll results: anchor or no anchor?
yes
29 43%
no
39 57%
Voters: 68.
Page 1 of 2
since the anchor or not anchor thread was a masterpiece, and since it didnt have a poll, and since that gaywad redwing_suck closed it do to "talk about muffins" which is totally uncalled for, i have recreated the thread and added a poll. well, go ahead and do what you do.
Yea man, saying either one is the only correct way is wrong. There was already a poll that asked who anchors or not, that came to be about 50-50.
No you shouldn't anchor.

And the reason that that thread was closed was because every issue had been brought up and addressed, so it was pointless to leave it open so people could continue posted questions and statements that had already been dealt with several times before in the thread.

The fact of the matter is that playing unanchored is far more beneficial than playing anchored, end of.
Actually, i find anchoring sort of effective, i tried playing unanchored for a week or two, but found i was making to big movements to be playing fast, like shredding.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
i anchor but it doesnt affect me i think :s But ive seen pros anchor like Michael Angelo (not that i listen to his music) buthe can play faster than anyone.... I dont think its a bad habbit, itsjust a different way to get to the same goal...
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Actually, i find anchoring sort of effective, i tried playing unanchored for a week or two, but found i was making to big movements to be playing fast, like shredding.

Quote by Luke666
i anchor but it doesnt affect me i think :s But ive seen pros anchor like Michael Angelo (not that i listen to his music) buthe can play faster than anyone.... I dont think its a bad habbit, itsjust a different way to get to the same goal...

Guys, you're wrong. Read through the original Anchor Or No Anchor? thread and take on board what is being said. If you want to play anchored, fine, but playing unanchored is a far superior method of playing.
Quote by SomeEvilDude
Guys, you're wrong. Read through the original Anchor Or No Anchor? thread and take on board what is being said. If you want to play anchored, fine, but playing unanchored is a far superior method of playing.

i dont understand why its so bad, could you perhaps explain why and then give me or us some tips on how to change this habbit... If its really that bad it would be greatly appreciated if you could help
I anchor. I do see where the anti-anchor people are coming from, but im sticking with anchoring. If Michael Angelo Batio, Guthrie Govan, yngwie, and John Petrucci can play just fine with anchoring, so can i.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Luke666
i dont understand why its so bad, could you perhaps explain why and then give me or us some tips on how to change this habbit... If its really that bad it would be greatly appreciated if you could help

He just supplied you a thread with 16 pages of why it's considered bad and how to modify your picking. Read it.

Quote by Night_Lights
I anchor. I do see where the anti-anchor people are coming from, but im sticking with anchoring. If Michael Angelo Batio, Guthrie Govan, yngwie, and John Petrucci can play just fine with anchoring, so can i.

You are not Michael Angelo Batio, Guthrie Govan, Yngwie Malmsteen or John Petrucci.

Just because they anchor, doesn't make it 'correct' either.

Edit: *Reported* - This is stupid.
I still stand by my position that its all about habit and comfort. If you can play fast with anchoring then go for it, if you can without anchoring then go for it as well. Personally, I dont anchor though and find anchoring uncomfortable and that i cant play well at all when anchoring.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

And uh, Guthrie doesn't anchor, amigo.

Christ, how stubborn can people get... Get over your goddamn ego and improve.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
That "masterpiece" was hardly that. It had some great discussions in it, but it turned into 16 pages of spam.

gdm09, you just earned yourself a warning (unless you already have something going right now). But I'm not gonna close this one unless it gets stupid again.
Looking for my India/Django.
Well, let me put it this way from my own experience:

When you are finally picking the "right" way, you just know it. Your pick glides
effortlessly across the strings. You're totally relaxed. The pick doesn't get
"caught" in the strings. Tremelo, alternate, sweep, economy ... picking -- it doesn't
matter it all stems from the same basic motion. You don't miss strings and don't
hit wrong strings. It seems like you can pick as fast as you want.

When that happens to you it all seems so easy and you wonder why it took you so
much effort and work to get there.

I played a long long time anchored. I never really got to that spot. Then, I spent
quite a bit of time picking unanchored. It was very uncomfortable and difficult at
first. But, I stuck with it. Over time I eventually began to start "getting it".

Now, I can pretty much get right to that feeling everytime I pick up the guitar.
And it's easier and easier the more I practice it. It now actually makes very little
difference whether I'm touching the guitar or not because I know how the basic
motion is supposed to operate.

So for those of you that anchor because it's "comfortable" you might want to ask
yourself if your picking is like I described above. If not, you might want to
consider breaking out of your "comfort zone" because doing what seems most
comfortable at first doesn't necessarily serve you well in the long run.
Quote by IThinkYou Smell
you should of put an option for using both effectively, and who doesnt like muffins i mean cmon!

there is no situation where playing anchored will give you an advantage over playing unanchored...and there's a reason why that other thread was closed; it has been made painstakingly clear, regardless of countless and pointless arguments made against it, that playing anchored limits and that unanchored is the most efficient and economized way to play...end of thread, stop making them, n00b
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
there is no situation where playing anchored will give you an advantage over playing unanchored...and there's a reason why that other thread was closed; it has been made painstakingly clear, regardless of countless and pointless arguments made against it, that playing anchored limits and that unanchored is the most efficient and economized way to play...end of thread, stop making them, n00b

you know what a pointless argument is?

you trying to tell me that you've got more credibility than batio and petrucci.

Quote by resiliance

And uh, Guthrie doesn't anchor, amigo.

besides an article that he wrote saying it's good to anchor, what more do you need?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YpF7k2jkMM&search=guthrie%20govan
Last edited by scheck006 at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by scheck006

Just like you were told numerous times in the other thread, that just because other more credible and famous people do it, doesn't mean that they don't recognize it's not the most efficient way to play. The just don't nessecarily have the time to correct years of playing that way.
Quote by scheck006

i don't ever remember seeing petrucci or batio justify anchoring...a person who hammers nails with his hand will eventually become good at it, but does that make it right? i don't think so, this argument is outdated; just because a "famous" guitarist anchors doesn't necessarily make it correct or right, enough
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

you people still have yet to show me these interviews and articles where they condemn anchoring, yet still do it.
^I can see that.

Buckethead4Prez: Warning. Jusssssst try me.
Quote by scheck006

besides an article that he wrote saying it's good to anchor, what more do you need?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YpF7k2jkMM&search=guthrie%20govan

Actually, I'd suggest you don't take it out of context and interpret it as he ment it.

... And I'd also recommend you to get some more footage of him playing, you don't sound very educated on his technique.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I still dont' see how you can read that and get "it's not ok to anchor at all"

You didn't even post the whole anchoring part of the article, yet tell me I take it out of context.
I don't see how me only posting a part of it has to do with taking it out of context, as I'm not the one making the blunt statement about it.

Did I say he said "it's not okay to anchor at all"?

Ugh, why do I bother. Your whole case from the start of the original anchor/no anchor thread has been based on logical fallacies.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance

Did I say he said "it's not okay to anchor at all"?

No, but you do tell people that.
What is this, the Religion Thread? It's personal preference. What's there to argue?
there's half of us that say its' fine to do both. There's another half who say it's far inferior to anchor and that noone should do it.
Quote by scheck006

i think the few people who did agree with you in the beginning have lost all faith now...it's over, just let it go, you can do it, take that pinky off the pickguard
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by redwing_suck
What is this, the Religion Thread? It's personal preference. What's there to argue?

No-one is arguing whether or not it's personal preference whether you anchor or not, that's a given.

I think the argument is based on whether or anchoring hinders you in terms of relaxation, speed, cross-string picking and so forth where as not anchoring is beneficial; that's the argument.

It's an argument that will never be resolved or agreed upon either because people are to ignorant and don't want a dent to the ego, or because the wide variety of guitarists on UG differ so much that it's never going to be a given that not anchoring is beneficial.

Either way - I knew it'd turn into a personal argument, be stupid and cause friction which is why I reported it in the first place.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by scheck006

Uh, not that Guthrie says that.

Click.
Stop focusing so much on technique and focus on tone, iv heard guys who can play faster than me but it sounds like dry ****.
^Uhm, good thing technique and what kind of sound you produce aren't directly related?

Click.
Quote by Johnljones7443
He just supplied you a thread with 16 pages of why it's considered bad and how to modify your picking. Read it.

You are not Michael Angelo Batio, Guthrie Govan, Yngwie Malmsteen or John Petrucci.

Just because they anchor, doesn't make it 'correct' either.

Edit: *Reported* - This is stupid.

well considering they are the far superior guitar player to you, it does make it right. you play unanchored and yet they play better than you, whats your point.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Quote by radiantmoon
well considering they are the far superior guitar player to you, it does make it right. you play unanchored and yet they play better than you, whats your point.

They've been playing 30+ years - I've been playing 8.

How can you even begin to think of that comparison? It's not conceivable to compare two players like that, it's frankly ridiculous you'd even say something like that.

I was merely trying to help a fellow guitarist by offering him advice on what has been extremely beneficial for my, any many other guitarists playing.

This is why a thread like this won't work again - hot shots like you turn it into a personal battle to pad your egos because you're scared of might what actually turn your guitar playing around and improve you to a point you didn't think possible.

But who am I to offer you advice and guidance along the way? No-one; so I guess I didn't have a point.
Play however you want... It's much more fun (to others also I guess) if you play your own way and are still good at it.
Gear:
Custom Dean Avalanche
Fender Squire Stratocaster
Squire 22 W Amp.
Line 6 Spider II 112 75 W
^ No its more fun being able to play insanely difficult passages as opposed to being frustrated wondering why those players can play it.
Quote by Johnljones7443

I was merely trying to help a fellow guitarist by offering him advice on what has been extremely beneficial for my, any many other guitarists playing.

well then tell him to try freehand playing and then see how he likes it. Ultimately, it's up to his personal preference. Telling him anchoring is bad is not just trying to help him out.

This is why a thread like this won't work again - hot shots like you turn it into a personal battle to pad your egos because you're scared of might what actually turn your guitar playing around and improve you to a point you didn't think possible.

hardly. I do play non-anchored and I know what it's like. You have no room to make assumptions about other people's playing. Give them the options and the evidence, let them decide which works better.
Ultimately, it's up to his personal preference.

No ****! How profound!

Telling him anchoring is bad is not just trying to help him out.

Yes it is, it's telling him whats bad technique.

Give them the options and the evidence, let them decide which works better.

Science, anatomy and pretty little analogies decide that anchoring is better.
Page 1 of 2