Ok, I know that EMGs sound best through a tube amp, and Im saving up for one, but if I upgraded my guitar with an EMG 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck, do you think they would sound better than my stock Duncan Designed pickups? Im just wondering because I dont want to pay about $150 to get a tone thats worse than the one I have now. The guitar is mahogany, and the amp is a Line 6 Spider II. I play mainly metal, but some clean stuff sometmes. Thanks for any opinions and help.
I hear Spider's suck no matter what.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
^Yup...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I personally don't like EMG pickups, I would get a higher brand of Seymour Duncans,like the seymour Duncan Diablo(I think that's what it's called, it's the one that Dimebag had installed on all his guitars.)
Lets put it this way... It probably won't hurt your tone, if anything it will make it slightly better, but it's still a waste to run those p'ups into that amp.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Spiders pretty much do suck either way, but replacing your D.D.'s with an 81/60 combo is a hell of an upgrade regardless..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
yes...some people like that analog tone from the spiders...so if you like it, and want an extra boost..go for it.
but the 81's cleans are a little overdriven. like bluesy OD.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
the thing about moddling amps is that your still going to get the sound the amp is trying to give you no matter what. Sure pickups matter, but not as much as you would.
Quote by Andrew Zara
like the seymour Duncan Diablo(I think that's what it's called, it's the one that Dimebag had installed on all his guitars.)

I'll ignore your ignorance in hopes that you'll better educate yourself before the next time something like that slips out again.

TS: Get a new amp. Cold, brittle, solid state tone will sound like **** no matter what you put through it. But to be completely honest, i don't know how tone subjective you would be, coming off of a spider. I say stick with that setup, and save up to get a new tube amp. Seriously, it's day and night with ss amps and tubes. And to be honest, you seem a little too inexperienced to play around with pickups so soon. The tone you hear, that you want to change, i'm guessing a major percentage of it is within your setup, in relation to the amplifier you're using. I would recommend some good dimarzio pickups, after, you get a new amp. Something like a Tone Zone with an Air Norton, or PAF PRO. Depends on what kind of music you play, but that's a totally different topic.

Point being, buy a new amp, before you worry about anything else.
Cheers,
DK
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
1. The common misconception that EMGs only sound good with tube amps holds as much water as the myth that EMGs sound the same no matter what guitar they're in. It's simply not true. I've been using EMGs as my primary pickups foralmost 18 years now, and over half that time, I've played thru a solid state amp. EMGs have always given me the tone I've wanted regardless of the amp I played thru. If you like the sound of EMGs, then you'll like them no matter what amp. IMO, the 81/60 in mahogany gives the best balance of high gain (81) and cleans (60).

2. The Spider II is an ok practice amp at best. Yeah, the EMGs will make your setup sound better, especially for metal, but the tonal 'bottleneck' in your rig is definately the amp. And quite honestly, any good brand name pickup would make it sound better than those Duncan Designed pickups.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^How about the IBZ-Dimarzio ones?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?