i havent played many.

i notice alot of rock bands are using them but i hear they arent good with distortion. what do you guys think?
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
theyre good with distortion, they just wont give you a metal tone. its more of a bite and twang.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
oh ok, i saw underoath using one i was like WTF

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
my tele sounds great for distortion. i dont use it for that i use my squire Double Fat HH Strat for really heavey stuff (tho my amp wont do really heavey stuff). i play alot of low gain stuff on my tele and it sounds YUMMMMMMY! Its more addicting than cocaine, and is more legal! oh yea btw i have a JCM900 212 combo. it makes everything i play sound magnificent! I can play stuff like the Lost Prophets, Brand New, Green Day, Alkaline Trio on my tele and it adds its own flavor.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by ssguitar
my tele sounds great for distortion. i dont use it for that i use my squire Double Fat HH Strat for really heavey stuff (tho my amp wont do really heavey stuff). i play alot of low gain stuff on my tele and it sounds YUMMMMMMY! Its more addicting than cocaine, and is more legal! oh yea btw i have a JCM900 212 combo. it makes everything i play sound magnificent! I can play stuff like the Lost Prophets, Brand New, Green Day, Alkaline Trio on my tele and it adds its own flavor.

im interested

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
like i told someone before i would have clips but my $5 wal-mart mic into sound recorder does it absolutely no justice. theres a metal band besides underoath that uses tele's ill check on that tommarow and post if u want. Go try one out on a good tube amp. It sounds yummy!

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
sure. ive heard alot of bad things about teles.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
well just like any guitar, it can be used for any music if you want to. Anyways, there's the fender flat head telecaster which is a tele designed specifically for metal (HH, EMG 81/60) and there's a couple HH teles that you could change the pickups in to suit better for rock.
cons:
its a bit heavier than my squire (which ill just have to get used to: i just bought it monday morning)

dont handle heavy distortion too well (bridge pup is alright but nothing liek a good EMG)

stock neck pup is a bit bassy but i like it for softer blues. but the bridge is where its all at for the twang!

EDIT: +1 to The_One (sp?). You can get tele's with humbuckers, but IMO i dont like the sound of a tele with humbuckers. it kind of gets rid of the really twangy bridge pup

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Last edited by ssguitar at Jul 13, 2006,
yeah, i like twang, dont know why i just do.

is there a way i could get a metal sound and keep the twang?

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
play it through maybe a ENGL Powerball?

but maybe switch the pups, im not sure im mainly using it for punk and blues

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i want to play Indie/Blues so i should be good with the stock

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
yea i love the sound of the stock pup's im sure some tone freaks will be in here soon with some new pup suggestions!

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
now my dilema(sp) is....what colors...

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
i ahve a sunburst. I love the look of the wine red tho, oohhhhhh or maybe a stained woodgrain??? gl with it tho. i would post pix of mine but my camera is pretty sh!tty!

EDIT: here is a link to a tele jsut like mine

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516035

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Last edited by ssguitar at Jul 13, 2006,
the best colour is honey blonde with a black pickguard and maple neck
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by ssguitar
(tho my amp wont do really heavey stuff).

Are you crazy? JCM900's can esaly do Metal on their own.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
u can get an HS tele. twang and metal all in one guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
its not as heavy as i want it. Im going to buy a TS for when i get my random metal moments

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Rancid_Misfits
i havent played many.

i notice alot of rock bands are using them but i hear they arent good with distortion. what do you guys think?

Slipknot and John5 use Teles.
They are great with distortion.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
ANY electric guitar can do ANY application if you throw the right pickups in it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa.......

Hold up.

You guys are getting way too crazy with these statements about telecasters and distortion.

Like ssguitar, I just bought myself a Fender Standard Telecaster (In Sunburst as well) on Monday. I personally think it's a great guitar for the price, and would still be if it's price tag was an extra $200 or so.

However, this isn't a guitar you'd use for metal purposes.

Someone said "I saw underOath use Teles", which is true, among SGs and Les Pauls, they do use the Telecaster quite often, but I know for a fact that those guys have equipped their teles with Seymour Duncan Hotrails pups, which will allow for heavy amounts of distortion without crazy feedback.

As for John5 and Slipknot, John5 uses his own signature Tele which is geared for metal, and Slipknot use the Flathead Telecasters (I think) which are also geared for lots of distortion.

I've found this guitar fits in right at home for indie rock music, country music, or anything with little or no distortion. It will tolerate medium amounts of distortion, but after that you have problems with feedback and the distortion itself sounds terrible. But then again, you can fix that with a pup swap.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Get the thinline 72 reissue. They are awesome.
And they have two buckers.... what more do you want?
i play indie so i guess this guitar is for me.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
I love Teles. Teles and Strats are my favorites.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by Rancid_Misfits
sure. ive heard alot of bad things about teles.

Sorry but WTF? No one can just outright say that all tele's are bad. Whoever has been telling you that they're bad is an idiot or has a cheap crappy tele copy. Or both.
im leaning towards the Standard Tele or the Lite Ash Tele.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
I think alot of people here are being unfair to the traditional Telecaster.

The Telecaster will fit any clean or low gain application perfectly. If you ask it to, it will easily negotiate a high gain, "metal" tone if you will. However, it will be far from a sterotypical sound.
The big thing about Telecasters is that they have the ability to create a totally unique sound. I haven't played two Telecasters that sounded or indeed felt the same.

A user above detailed that he merely recieved feedback from using a Telecaster, granted a Telecaster will produce a bit more noise than your standard humbucker, its in the pickups but a Telecaster will not simply feedback at full on distorted levels on its own. Amplifier and settings play a great roll as do what happens to be in both the front chain and effect chain. Furtermore distance and wiring.

I've used Telecasters for a while now, Squier (Don't knock em, find a great one and it'll be your best friend) and Fender. At home I enjoy alt country, indie and folk styles to which my Telecasters fit perfectly and at the weekends they join me in a progressive rock band. Where at times they are subjected to a fair chunk of high gain, distorted tones and they bloody excell.

Playing next to humbucker loaded Gibsons I have a clearly different and distinct sound but its far from poor. My Telecasters easily handle the settings and environment.
All stock, SS Telecasters.

Do me a favour right? Don't pick up a perfectly good Fender Telecaster and load it with humbuckers or, "hotrails" or whatever else there is right now. You steal the essence of a Telecaster, its heart. If you want something that will sound like every other bugger out there go buy one of those Ibanez RG things, don't bother with a Telecaster. If you want a unique, highly versatile sound get a Telecaster. It'll do everything and more and last longer than any other guitar knocking about.
im in an Indie band and in a Hardcore band so that is good to know.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...