I'm hoping a lifetime, but is this practical? It's not like something could go wrong enough that the guitar would stop functioning unless it was forcefully broken or hit etc.

If taken care of, can a guitar last a lifetime? As I only ever want to use my gibby LP.
my man, i have a Fender Musicmaster from 1959. it was my grandfathers. PERFECT CONDITION.

guitars can last a long time if taken care of.
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Oh yeah a quality guitar can last more than a life time, as long as you don't beat it against the wall or anything.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
most guitars can last a lifetime but because of their owners they dont
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
A gutiar can easily last a lifetime if take care of. Be sure to keep it in it's hardcase, maintain it, and just take good care of it and it will last forever.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I have some places on my guitar where it was bumped or some paint got chipped off, anyone know a good way to cover it? Something that can like be spread over it, and dry clear?
My great grandfather has a hollow body that was made in 1945(61 years old now), it was a limited edition and cost 650 dollars back then so he put it in a display case and only played it once or twice and is in mint condition and he gave me the honor of letting me play it once and sounds great and awesome vintange look. So yeah i guess guitars can last a long time.
Quote by Holy Magenta
No, I don't belive in any afterlife. Your brain dies, everything goes black, the end.

^ thats also my belief.
that sound really cool^^^

the only generation that plays in my family is me and my cousin, so im not getting guitars.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
My mom's friend has a 70's Martin acoustic, it's stayed in almost perfect tune and hasn't ever had it's strings changed
im surprised they havent just corroded and broke by now.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
i recieved a fender pbass from 1967..other then a few paint dings it's in great shape, plays great, and really stays in tune. yes i know this is the guitar forum but as long as you keep it in a good atmosphere and in a hard case a guitar can last
guitars can last an extremely long time, theres great Prewar Martins that are older than my grandparents and are in perfect condition
The only old guitar I know of that is still in use today was made in 1963. It was Brian May's Red Special which he still uses today. So 43 years and going =P
i'm still playing a 1971 fender telecaster
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by Rancid_Misfits
my man, i have a Fender Musicmaster from 1959. it was my grandfathers. PERFECT CONDITION.

guitars can last a long time if taken care of.

I owned one of these...it was my first electric guitar...I curse the day I got rid of it.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
i got a 2005 schecter C-1 Balckjack...still going....beat that guys

ive never played any "old" guitars.....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
the guitar will live longer than you, dont worry
im a finger player

:quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
It's obvious that those songs were illegally downloaded, so Metallica wanted him to "ride the lightning," if you get my meaning.:quote:
The oldest guitar I've played is a 6 year old squier that i'm modding through the summer XD
My dad bought it cos he wanted to have a strat in the house, when i was that young he tricked me and said it was a fender so when i started playing guitar (cos i dont live with him i couldnt check what make the guitar was) when he said i could have it i was excited, i got a new guitar about a month after i got the damn thing
It can last as long as you're prepared to protect it.

But the thing's meant to be played, not be shelved for years, so play the hell out of it while you can, and try not to bang it against walls.
Deadly badgers made my weed
ive seen guitars thrashed around and smashed into things.
here they are still working 20 years later.
point is, shove your hardcase and regular cleaning.
you should see john frusciante's vintage cream strat, that thing is banged up but still sounds great and he uses it when he could obviously afford a mint condition vintage strat
the guitar will last, but i bet you in a couple of years, you will want another, its just the way it works, can never have too many guitars
i ot a 62 Fender Jag thats not in superb condition, but it could have been if my dad hadnt loaned it to his friends. keep it in the case and wipe it down and wax it often and it will last multiple lifetimes
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
oldest guitar ive played (was the first one too) was a 1967 gibson les paul.

but if you want to talk aobut old.

Stradivarious Violins. pwn the guitar. they were made in the 1700's and are worth somewhere in the millions.
Quote by chunkybrotha
oldest guitar ive played (was the first one too) was a 1967 gibson les paul.

im jealous..

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
im mad about it because it was before i started playing. i told the guy i was interested in guitar, and im gonna by one. so he said "go ahead and play it" so i was a noob.
they say magnets in the pickups will lose some pull but I havent experienced that but my oldest pups are from 1996 in my Hamer.
dude rocknrollgod how f*ucking loaded are you? 3 marshalls, 5 gibsons and a martin? u really got all that? damn...

Quote by richwatkinson
Last edited by ScreaminBlues25 at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by ibanezzer
I have some places on my guitar where it was bumped or some paint got chipped off, anyone know a good way to cover it? Something that can like be spread over it, and dry clear?

I dont know how you would cover it, but i think a guitar that has been scratched up and has the paint wearing off of it looks cool. But that's just me.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
the owner of a local shop in my towm has an acoustic from 1862. Take care of your guitar, it will remain intact for a loooong time
Dickless.
also thread starter, it seems a little like u think there's something "unfixable" on/in a guitar that could break or die.

get the guitar of ur dreams, but also get a starter guitar. take it apart, mod it, take away the mystery of How Guitars Work.

yes, sometimes neglected guitars warp, rust or die, but unlike amps, most problems can be worked out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
also thread starter, it seems a little like u think there's something "unfixable" on/in a guitar that could break or die.

get the guitar of ur dreams, but also get a starter guitar. take it apart, mod it, take away the mystery of How Guitars Work.

yes, sometimes neglected guitars warp, rust or die, but unlike amps, most problems can be worked out.

Oh I know how a guitar works, I was just asking if other than smashing it into pieces or somehow breaking it so it's non-playable, if a guitar would last a lifetime. Like, things wouldn't fall apart after awhile, at least, quality guitars.
My Uncle has a lot of Les Pauls, Strats, everythings from the 50's and 60's and when I saw them a few years ago they looked perfect. If I saw them now I'd live in that room forever.

edit: o yea and he had a bunch of old Japanese guitars and one had a "rhyzum" switch.