Ok... So when you make a neck, how do you start out? is it a long block that you put on a lathe, or what? Then when its a long pole, do you cut it in half? And how do you know where the fret wires go and all that. Plus you need a truss rod, dont you?how do you do that?

thaks.
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
For a fender style neck you start with a flat peice of wood roughly 4" x 3/4" x 27". First you find one true edge and draw a line parallel to the edge. Now you draw out the taper of the neck, the position of the nut and draw the headstock. With that flat edge route yout truss rod channel using a edge guide for your router.
Now cut out the shape of the neck and sand to final dimentions. for a fender style headstock i now thickness the headstock to accomadate standard tuners.

At about this time I slot the fretboard there are many calculators on the net which show the correct placement of the frets. You can skip this step if you buy a pre slotted fretboard. Now i glue the fretboard to the neck making sure everytihng is properly allined.
Now i would normaly round the area just after the nut like on fenders.
Next is radiusing and fretting the fretboard. After fretting i then carve the back of the neck.

The book make your own electric guitar by melyvn hiscock has a much better explanation on how to build a neck, i recommend it.
Oh god, a lathe? before you even thing about making a neck, think about what a lathe is. It's a machine which spins wood around, so it can be made round. You do NOT want a neck that is a perfect circle.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
try looking up tutorials, such as on projectguitar.com
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Will_Minus
Oh god, a lathe? before you even thing about making a neck, think about what a lathe is. It's a machine which spins wood around, so it can be made round. You do NOT want a neck that is a perfect circle.

read more carefully, he said "Then when its a long pole, do you cut it in half?"
cutting round pole half makes half-round pole, yey!

but anyways, just listen to what dave said
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Oh, I didn't read that part. I only read up to "lathe" and then thought to myself "you have to be ****in' kidding."

But come to think of it, that could save alot of shaping time, starting with a circle shaped plank (if it would still be considered a plank), then cutting it in half. The headstock and heel wouldn't come out that well, though...
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club