i dont know if this belongs in this section or the tab talk section, but what are the scales that the solo is based in?
each chord is 1 4/4 measure, played 4 times fyi

G--------------0--------2----------7------------
D---2---------2--------4-----------7-----------
A---2---------3--------4-----------5----------
E---0------------------------------------------
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Being Pantera, I imagine it's pentatonic (not a diss, just saying Dime's solos are bluesier), but I'll give the CD a spin real quick.

Try the blues scale in E I'd say:

E----------------------------------------12-15-
B----------------------------------12-15-------
G-------------------------12-14-15-------------
D-------------------12-14----------------------
A----------12-13-14----------------------------
E-12-14-15-------------------------------------

EDIT: Listen to him.
vvv
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Jul 13, 2006,
His first fast run (everything going 11-12-15) is just a pattern that he moves up the strings. Sometimes shredders like using patterns: they are "outside" and create more tension.

He also follows up soon after with another pattern that has a lot of 12th, 15th, and 20th frets on different strings.

Both of these runs include E and G, if that helps. The more "normal" licks seem to use more E-Blues, and there are a few tritones thrown in at the beginning.
I tried playing that song, but i cant get the speed down at the beginning.

any tips?
practice it slow and speed it up, only tip i can give u. practice picking it slow, not hammer ons andpull offs. though i guess either way is fine.

EDIT: do u mean the first riff or the beginning of the solo?
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by FloydFan89
I tried playing that song, but i cant get the speed down at the beginning.

any tips?

Like he said, practice slower. Also is the problem in your left or right hand? In other words, can you fret the notes, but not pick them right, or can you pick fine and the fretting hand is what's giving you grief?
#DTWD
yeah dime was brought up using the blues scale and its clearly present on most of pantera's albums. And if you want to play like him then use the blues scale with a few chromoatic notes in there