Well, I've been attempting to learn to play acoustic guitar since April. It's going alright. All I really know is how to play chords A, D, C, E, and G. What do I do next?
well i learned a couple at the beggining and then i started looking at tabs and all that kinda dropped out. you should search for your fav song or something you know it be even better if you could download POWER TAB. its helps with that. anyway send me a message about how it goes or if you help
for me, i just started learning songs i knew. I listened to green day back then and some other easy **** and my musical taste went up from there. So just pick a song you like and try to play it by ear or get power tab like the dude above me suggested. Eventually you'll start learning how to play faster and better. This little excercise helps alot.

e----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1----------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------4-3-2-1------------------------------
g--------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------
d----------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1--------
a------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1
e--1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something like that and after you do that move up one fret and repeat it.
Quote by werty22
They're not talking about hardcore punk, they're talking about "hardcore." It has little in common with its roots in the '80s.

Quote by recklessnick
when i ask questions. people reply with a stupid green smiley face sign

Heres lookin to you
i doubt my computer would support that because it's crap! um, thanx for the suggestion. is there any easy songs that you guys know of that i could try?
Wish you were here by pink floyd is an easy song, only a couple of chords and the solos are fairly easy, if you want you could just play chords over the solos too.....

Smells like teen spirit is a good way to learn power chords so you could use that one too...

If you are looking for arpeggio, babe I'm gonna leave you was the first of those I learned and it wasn't all that hard....

And for left/right hand coordination you could either use this excersise:

e----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1----------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------4-3-2-1------------------------------
g--------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------
d----------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1--------
a------------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1
e--1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or learn the simple A pentatonic scale:

e------------------------5-8--------------------
b--------------------5-8----5-8----------------
g----------------5-7------------5-7------------
d------------5-7--------------------5-7--------
a------5-7------------------------------5-7----
e-5-8---------------------------------------5-8-
Learn a B Chord. Learn songs. Learn Barre Chords. Learn Songs. Learn different chords. Songs. Scales. Modes. Songs. Theory. More songs.

In that order.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
-Listen to Tommy Emmanuel and Eric Clapton on youtube
-Go to www.cyberfret.com. Learn some theory
-Triads (3rd,5th,7th))
-Learn chords at www.jguitar.com (there's more than just A, B, C, D, E, F and G)
-Start Fingerpicking
-Make your own tunes
-Scales/Modes

It's really important that you start on your rhythm. It's good you're on acoustic. You should also learn about maintaining your guitar. Just keep playing at least an hour a day. It doesn't have to be all in one session but it's important to be consistant with the guitar. Don't give up!
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
Your computer would support it if it has a sound card.(as almost every computer does). You could download it here . Its really a great program. All you have to do is open songs for it off of this site (in the tab section).
learn power chords with easy songs, like smells like teen spirit or vertigo, then start with barre chords....
Learn chords B and F :P
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
Quote by 2timminsa
try the F chord you will probably notice why its called the f chord lol

because it contains an F, A, and C? i don't get it

learn your basic techniques like legato (hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides), bends, and sweep picking...study theory (specifically chord composition, harmony, intervals, scales, etc)
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Learn those chords in their minor versions. Then move onto barre chords, which will enable you to do F and B. By then you'll know most of the necessary chords, so move onto playing riffs etc. Then learn some more complicated chords. Then learn scales .... and huzzah, you're a guitarist.
Learn minor chords, seventh chords, and start learning your scales. Blues, minor/major pentatonics, and major/minor scales.