Hay sorry, stupid question... But I looked everywhere and couldnt find the answer...
What exacly is a HEAD? And how do you use one? Why cant you just buy an amp, instead of an amp and a head?
Im only using a 15watt amp right now, looking for bigger but now I hear about heads?
help?
A head is an amp without any speakers. They work when connected to seperate speaker cabinets.

Next time you see any rock star, you'll see massive speakers standing behind them, and on top of those is a box. That's the HEAD.
not being sarcastic but i think you use a head and speakers. an "amp" as you put it, is a combo amp, i think (an amp and a speaker put together as one unit). a head just means you need a separate pair of speakers.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
So if you have a speaker, but no head, there is no way you can use the massive speaker to play your guitar?
OR
If you have a Head, but not speaker, you can connect to the head, but no noise will come out?

If thats the way it is, why do they do that? Why not just have huge amps that are one piece?
because then the amps would be freaking massive

you wouldnt be able to get the same amount of power without connecting to multiple amps and it would be more expensive because combos are speakers AND amps.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
ok to be honest ur being stupid thus i wont give you an answer. ricky retardo u got some splainin to do. oh and ill help a little so i dont get banned. you can hook up one head to five speakers eliminating the need for combo amps because its all off of one head. so the settings are the same etc.
Because they'd be extremely inflexible to use. Maybe you want a half-stack (just one cabinet) for one gig or a full-stack (2 cabinets) for another gig. The ability to have a head and then hook it up to any speaker configuration you want gives guitarists more control over their tone; not everyone wants to use the same speakers, or even the same speaker cabinet brand as the head.

The amp is what turns the the electrical current from your guitar into signal that can be outputted by the speakers as sound, and you need both to be able to hear anything.
Love is not a victory march.
I actually wasnt being stupid, Ive always thought those stacks where one piece sets
ha ha i love making fun of people, but um wooo!!! glad ur not mad i hate when people take me seriously when i rag on people. plus i havent said ricky retardo in a while.