So I order my first acoustic, a supposedly brand new Washburn D10SCE, from Musician's Friend, and it arrives with a crack in the bottom, a scratch on the headstock, and a leaky 9V battery that has acid all over the place.

I call them and they say they can do an exchange. So I've sent it back to them. Now I'm reading on various internet guitar chat boards that I should be able to get a refund instead of an exchange.

Any thoughts on this? Have any of you experienced problems with MF? I'd like to arm myself with some good advice prior to calling them back.

Thanks!
I dont really haev any experience with musicians friend, bu I have experience in general internet purchasing. Say something like:

"While making my purchase, I was under the impression that I would be getting a brand new Washburn D10SCE, not a scratched and cracked one. Your product did not live up to the standard that was advertised, and so I am entitled to a full refund or exchange."

If they get cocky with you, say something like:

"Technically I can report you to the Fair Trading Association, for not fullfilling your "Duty of Care" (sound technical, so they think your a solicitor or something).

If you act really smart, theyll get scared of you and back down. Just keep your cool and remember that at the end of the day, you have the upper hand.
It is probably Washburns fault not MF's. They are a big internet store that sends out hundreds of guitars a day and they don't look at any of them before they ship. 99.9% of people that do business with musicians friend don't have any problems but when you look at the number of people that buy from that store, you have to expect that the .01% of unhappy people do add up to a very large number of people.

As long as they are willing to exchange and they don't give you a hassle then go ahead and exchange. If they give you grief then tell them you want your money back
Not taking any online orders.
I've bought guitar from them and everything was perfect. because they are so reliable i'm going to buy another one from them in a few weeks. not there fault. most likely washburns.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
i have the same problem with gardner white, even though they sell furniture instead of guitars. everytime we get something from there its really well made and inexpensive, but theres always something wrong with it from the warehouse. we ordered a dinning room table and a bedroom set, and the table had to go back 9 times!!! then the mirror from the bedroom set was cracked everytime we got a new one. this is our 6th one, and were still waiting for them to take it back. but the furniture is amazing, its just some dumbass at the store with butterfingers and keeps dropping the stuff before it gets in the truck

so if its something worth the hassle, stick with it. itll pay off in the end
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Thats a serious case of **** happens...Music123 has the same problems. Thats why you go to the "outlet" portions of these sites and can get real deals on "open box" returns (which is when there is nothing wrong with the guitar, but someone returned it anyways), and they sell damaged guitars for fairly good deals too. When you call them back, you would have to ask for a refund. If you say that your guitar came in damaged they'll say "We're sorry to hear that, we'll send you a new one." Bottom line is that you ordered and paid for the guitar in the first place...if you didn't specifically ask for a refund, they aren't going to offer them. If you feel like you can't "trust" MF and more, ask for the refund. Otherwise, I'd just let them send a replacement.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by darknessfan

"While making my purchase, I was under the impression that I would be getting a brand new Washburn D10SCE, not a scratched and cracked one. Your product did not live up to the standard that was advertised, and so I am entitled to a full refund or exchange."

If they get cocky with you, say something like:

"Technically I can report you to the Fair Trading Association, for not fullfilling your "Duty of Care" (sound technical, so they think your a solicitor or something).

If you act really smart, theyll get scared of you and back down. Just keep your cool and remember that at the end of the day, you have the upper hand.

I think that throwing lines of BS out isn't the way to go...for a company that does thousands and thousands of transactions a day, you trying to report them for something that isn't their fault will not get you anywhere, especially since most of them have their return policies, etc posted before you click the "buy" button. I work in the customer service field, and the more unhappy people are, the more people they know who they are gonig to complain to, and etc. etc. We are much, much less helpful with people who come in spewing stuff like that than with people who are calm, polite and explain their problem fully. In this situation, I think the exchange is acceptable...MF is very reputable and I would nearly guarantee would not ship a damaged guitar knowingly. If anything, just make sure they pay for the return shipping. That would be something fighting for.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by Pride _And_Joy
i have the same problem with gardner white, even though they sell furniture instead of guitars. everytime we get something from there its really well made and inexpensive, but theres always something wrong with it from the warehouse. we ordered a dinning room table and a bedroom set, and the table had to go back 9 times!!! then the mirror from the bedroom set was cracked everytime we got a new one. this is our 6th one, and were still waiting for them to take it back. but the furniture is amazing, its just some dumbass at the store with butterfingers and keeps dropping the stuff before it gets in the truck

so if its something worth the hassle, stick with it. itll pay off in the end

wtf thats riddiculous! cant believe that
I've made several orders at MF. Two amps, a guitar, some tubes, cable, tuner, and haven't had a problem yet.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
idk, im not a big fan of buying guitars off the internet. Because i really like to look around and get the feel of individual ones. but I've done a few MF buys, and theyve all been very good.
I appreciate all the comments.

I called MF back, and explained that I wanted a refund instead of a return. I was completely honest with them, and said that I wouldn't usually mind an exchange but I had been reading on many, many consumer forums (i.e. at Washburn's website) that exchanged guitars from MF are often also B-stock.

The guy said ok and said I would get a refund. Once I get the refund I'm going to buy the D10SCE from a mom and pop store that gets rave reviews from on the Washburn forum. That store even gave me a discount on the guitar that is better than MF's price.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Aloha,
H
Good job, hope you like your new guitar.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
Good job, hope you like your new guitar.

Mahalo!

I'm very much looking forward to learning acoustic.

Regards,
H