I've started saving for a Tube half stack and i'm pretty close to the 600 pound mark (this is just for the head). now i know there are COUNTLESS which amp threads here and i've read them all so this is not about that.

for all those tube amp owners, do you think that 50watts would be better then 100 watts because it'd be easier to saturate? Any 100 watt guys out there pissed cause they bought a 100 watt / any 50 watters not satisfied with their 50 watts? We're only talking tubes here. I was thinking the Laney GH-50L (399£ or the GH-100L(469£ - the price differences is pretty low for me, so therefore the choice would be based on watts.

So watts minus the ego, i'm distorting the **** out of these amps but also playin chili pepper cleans

Alternatively i may also decide to purchase a 50 w screamer.

So once again 50W vs 100W (even vs 30W).
on the same topic ... Laney GH-50 vs ENGL Thunder (i'm going to be using an overdrive). playing metallica soad, not extreme distortion, but it has to be quite tight.
100watt amps will have more clean headroom, which you don't seem to want, and 50watt amps saturate easier compared to them.

But why do you need a halfstack? A good combo will do.

And play a load of valve amps and see what you think, try out loads of combos too, don't just limit yourself to them amps, especially if you haven't tried them.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
hhaha the half stack for one reason and one reason only, i'm importing this amplifier into australia. It's much cheaper to import a head (costs 80 pounds in shipping) then a combo. i'm buying the cab in aus. Aus prices btw are much higher then UK/Germany, like even with the 80 pounds postage i'm saving 200 pounds.
Ah, I see, pretty smart.
Have you considered buying a head used too? You could get the one you want for cheaper on eBay or something, and then you can use that saved money for shipping or towards the cab.
Don't be afraid to care"

good idea, i'll have a look around when i actually have the cash - though i'd be a bit nervous about buying something so expensive off ebay though and i'd probably have to get it retubed and stuff but i'll have a look none theless.
Might aswell try, just weigh out the retubing costs with a used amp compared to a new amp, if there's not that much difference, just buy new.
Don't be afraid to care"

I have 100 watts tube head. I do not regret going for that much power, but I defeinetly don't need it. The highest I have ever put it is like 5 and that hurts. I don't regret buying it. I have plenty of clean room which I like and I have enough pre-amp gain for anything I will every need.