Well, me and my friend are both 15 and are starting up a band. We've had replies to a thread we made on a local band/music forum from a bassist whos 17 and another one whos 16. Now the 16 year old wouldnt be much of a problem (only one year difference) but we're kinda skeptical about the 17 year old one. We're not sure if having members who are older would be a good idea. Thoughts and advice?
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

You guys might be ok for a few years but what happens when the 17 year leaves for college and you guys are still in high school? Not that, that should stop you from trying it. It is just something to consider.
my band has a 24 yr old drummer, 30yr old guitarist, 18 yr old bassist and myself (18) on guitar.

Not really much problems you just have to organise times and stuff and stick to it.
Well, all I can tell you is that I am in a band with a 15 year old guitarist (I'm 13), and really if you are both musically equal, (or hes amazing and you need him) then the only way it couldnt work out is if your personalities clash or something like that.

But then again the reason why my band works, is that the bass and the 15 year old guitarist have been neighbors for a long time. hehe thank god he gets connections (the 15 year old really good)
My band's sixteen and we jammed with a 57 year old drummer. Two years difference isn't that bad, go for it.
2 years isn't an age difference...lol Good lord. High school thinking is so impossibly narrow. "I'm a freshman and he's a JUNIOR!!!!! OMGZORZ!!! WHAT DO I DO???111/1!?1"
Hi, I'm Peter
lol go for it dude, im 17 and tryin to get together with 15. I dont feel any arogance because im older.
Quote by Dirk Gently
2 years isn't an age difference...lol Good lord. High school thinking is so impossibly narrow. "I'm a freshman and he's a JUNIOR!!!!! OMGZORZ!!! WHAT DO I DO???111/1!?1"

As opposed to your not so narrow thinking? Don't make the mistake that because im in high school means that I am narrow minded.

Anyways, just makin sure. That hting about when he goes to college and we're still in high school was also a problem I was worried about.

Another thing, some people ive talked to are in multiple bands, would it be wise to accept someone in different bands? My friend and I are afraid that he wouldnt give enough effort to our band and hence we wouldnt progress as much as we would have with a full time member.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

No, but in high school, people think of one or two grades as a significant age difference but it's really not. Age difference only is significant when differing amounts of life experience come into play. Yeah, your band could be effected if he goes off to college, but then again, nothing in this life is certain, so if you like him and he's willing to play, don't worry about what "could" happen because there's no way to control that.
Hi, I'm Peter
2 years is no big deal, in my last band we had a kid who was in 9th grade, 10th grade, 3 11th graders and a 12th grader. That was last year, and even though we broke it up there was no age-related strife, it was because of some kind of style arguments, I dont know..
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Just IMO, age shouldn't really matter, unless its impossibly awkward age difference. A 40 yr old should play with teens, its just obvious it wouldnt happen. My band is looking for a bassist and the lead guitar wants to use his G/f, Which i hate and she sucks, instead a decent bassist who happens to be 6 years older than us. Personally whats wrong with a few years?
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
kkkkkkkkkkkkkk
#21 OF THE NON-CONFORMIST CLUB
Last edited by Zukev at Jul 12, 2010,
hey man mick mars is like 10 years older then the rest of the crue! Umm we are having the same problem in my band. I am the youngest 15 years old , 2 16 year olds , a 17 year old and now a 20 year old singer.
Quote by Elusion777
dude music is ageless the issue should be whos the best player not how old

Actually, it should be about who's the best fit for the band. I know some talented players that would not be able to fit in every playing situation. I mean, if you're in a grunge-styled band, the last thing you need is some power metal head playign 3 minute solos.

Compatability > Talent

every time.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Dirk Gently
No, but in high school, people think of one or two grades as a significant age difference but it's really not. Age difference only is significant when differing amounts of life experience come into play. Yeah, your band could be effected if he goes off to college, but then again, nothing in this life is certain, so if you like him and he's willing to play, don't worry about what "could" happen because there's no way to control that.

there is a huuuuuuuuuggggggggeeeee difference in maturity between a 13 year old and a 15/16 year old - perhaps thats why. people under estimate the transformation that takes place during those years. Priorities change, musical taste can change (that's a biggy in a band), and just generally peoples personalities.

If you can make it work then it's cool, but don't underestimate that difference in age, a band is more about playing music, it's a creative process and requires management, commitment and focus.
If nobody else comes up then go with him. Down the road have somebody who could eventually take his spot...