Page 1 of 3
does anyone here like john mayer? i think he started out in the wrong kind of music. his earlier poppy junk sucked, but his new blues music is great. hes one of the only young blues guitarist i listen to, cuz for a minute, *chokes* i thought the blues were evaporating. there really arent too many new young people playing the blues anymore. i mean you always have clapton and the king, but theyre not so young anymore
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Check out Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Joe Bonamassa.
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
John Mayer has a great, fluid style and I love the tone, but I hate his voice. The breathy thing doesn't work for me.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
John Mayer has a great, fluid style and I love the tone, but I hate his voice. The breathy thing doesn't work for me.

I agree, I love his playing and everything about it (his blues playing, not that pop stuff) but I really don't like his singing at all. If he just played instrumentals or had another singer I'd buy their cd. The band is great too.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Yeah, his voice isn't bluesy at all. It kind of sucks, actually.
Hi, I'm Peter
Sucks that the Trio broke up.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
I'm 17, I play the blues. As long as I'm around, it won't evaporate.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
^^^Exactly. There's lots of blues out there. It's just that those people never played pop so they aren't as famous as John Mayer.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i think john mayer's great, he really plays music the way i like to hear it, and he brought back the guitar in pop music again
"Don't play what's there; play what's NOT there" - Miles Davis
Anyone ever hear Covered in the Rain by John Mayer? I've got it live. It's one of the best blues songs I've ever heard.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
To me, Kenny Wayne Shepherd owns John Mayer in speed. They're both really good, but I'd listen to Kenny Wayne Shepherd faster than John Mayer, but I'd still listen to both of them.

I doubt any of that makes sense.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
i love Mayer, JMT, all of it. *gasp* I even like his 'pop' stuff..i love all of his work, and his guitar is all there, its really enjoyable and as for Covered In Rain amzing song that REALLY transfers his emotions...i very much so recommend it
Quote by Just_a_picker
To me, Kenny Wayne Shepherd owns John Mayer in speed. They're both really good, but I'd listen to Kenny Wayne Shepherd faster than John Mayer, but I'd still listen to both of them.

I doubt any of that makes sense.

Speed isnt really very important in blues......to me anyway.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ Agreed. Though I do like Kenny Wayne over John Mayer but that isn't becuase of speed.

Phish - Waste
^^^Kenny Wayne is good, but he's always been a bit to much of an SRV ripoff for me. I'd like to see him do his own thing.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yeah, but I just love the speed aspect. I mean the slower stuff is where Mayer really shows out. The faster stuff if where KWS shows his stuff. I mean at first, i could almost swear that for about four of five seconds that Mayer sounded like SRV. Then again, that's just me.

EDIT: I love slow blues, don't get me wrong Tin Pan Alley and Cold Shot are my favorite slow blues songs, of all time, but sometimes you just have to let it all out and play something fast. I just like KWS' style better than Mayer's, hence the "I'd listen to Kenney Wayne Shepherd faster than John Mayer," remark.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Last edited by Just_a_picker at Jul 16, 2006,
He has one sweet guitar collection.

Phish - Waste
Ash Grunwald is a great blues player, and he's about as big as an australian bluesman can get. Which, admittedly, is not very.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Quote by Dirk Gently

yeah, that kinda gets on my nerves. i hate when people who cant sing go and sing over a blues song. it kills the song and it kills the mood. he definately needs a new singer if hes gonna go any further.
pac-man ate my stash

His stuff is alright, but he's hardly half as amazing or genius as people seem to be making him out to be.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Meh, he's a bit...boring relaly.

I don't see anything special in him. also, his gutiar playing just sounds to much ;like SRV to me..but, meh.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
but then again, people say stevie ray sounds a little like everyone else too. people steal styles from other big artists when theyre first starting out. people used to yell at SRV cause he was stealing buddy guy riffs. he used those riffs to develop a style later on, that can rarely be copied.
pac-man ate my stash

Has anyone heard his new song on itunes, whats going on, where is the blues???
'00 Les Paul
Quote by MelodyMaker
Has anyone heard his new song on itunes, whats going on, where is the blues???

I thought, for a minute there, you were saying he was doing a cover of Marvin gaye.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
john mayer started out as a pop artist to attract the crowd.

and now he's all famous and well known, he now does his real thing.

see ?

lol.

i'm a big john mayer fan.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

I wasn't a huge fan of his stuff (and still dislike the pop) but when i heard his audio interview with Rolling Stone he basically admitted that he'd been intending to do blues since he started his career and enjoys playing it more. But he decided to do the pop thing in order to establish himself.

After that i started listening to his latest stuff and it's actually pretty good. I love covered in rain too.

So i give JM a thumbs up.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Hey what are some good songs of his to start with. I have only heard the pop ****. I have any given thursday and heavier things.(I got them from my sisters room)
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Quote by Tenacious Me
Hey what are some good songs of his to start with. I have only heard the pop ****. I have any given thursday and heavier things.(I got them from my sisters room)

Forget the sellout blues and listen to actual blues.
yeah, he had to change himself just to become famous, or whatever it is he did. I think you shouldnt have to change yourself to be known, in the one interview he says it was a plan or something.
Blues are easy to play but hard to feel.

-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by blakehendrix
yeah, he had to change himself just to become famous, or whatever it is he did. I think you shouldnt have to change yourself to be known, in the one interview he says it was a plan or something.

That is right. He sold out his true feelings to make a quick buck and then decided that blues were in his heart from the beginning. Right. Trucks should impale Mayer with his slide if their were any justice in the world, but since their isnt, morons will equate Mayer with the blues until the day his sorry ass dies.
Quote by blakehendrix

Alright, then don't say how great the Beatles were, because their image and everything else in the early touring part of their careers was meticulously planned. Him doing what he could to become famous doesn't take away from his guitar playing abilities. Don't be foolish. Although I don't think he's a great blues guitarist from a purist's perspective, he's got chops.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Alright, then don't say how great the Beatles were, because their image and everything else in the early touring part of their careers was meticulously planned. Him doing what he could to become famous doesn't take away from his guitar playing abilities. Don't be foolish. Although I don't think he's a great blues guitarist from a purist's perspective, he's got chops.

Are we talking about the Beatles? Where in the hell did that come from?
Quote by ToBeAGooner
Are we talking about the Beatles? Where in the hell did that come from?

You're talking about John Mayer being a sellout. Just because someone "sells out" in order to move their career along doesn't mean that they aren't talented. It's called a comparison for explanative purposes
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
You're talking about John Mayer being a sellout. Just because someone "sells out" in order to move their career along doesn't mean that they aren't talented. It's called a comparison for explanative purposes

The blues is about playing whats in your heart, not what fills your wallet. No soup for you. NEXT!
Page 1 of 3