I know this isn't the right place to start this thread, I'm only doing this because I'm going to the music store in a few hours and I need some quick responses.
How do I connect the Shure SM57 to my computer? Do I need a 'special' cable or something?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again
My Gear

Guitars:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- Ibanex GRX40
Amps:
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender Frontman 15R
You need a microphone cable. If you don't have an XLR input on your computer (you probably don't unless you have a special $300 recording sound card or interface), you'll need an XLR -> 1/4" converter. THEN you'll need a 1/4" -> 1/8" converter. Have fun
Hi, I'm Peter
That will not affect the quality?
My Gear

Guitars:
- Ibanex GRX40
Amps:
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender Frontman 15R
Of course it effects the quality, but recording straight into a stock PC soundcard (or even one that's slightly better than stock but not made for recording) won't give you great quality anyway. Essentially what you're doing is giving yourself a really expensive computer mic. Best quality for cheap would be go out and buy a small multitrack digital recording unit. Quality PC recording is comparably expensive.
Hi, I'm Peter
But it will still be way better than a regular computer mic right?
My Gear

Guitars:
- Ibanex GRX40
Amps:
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender Frontman 15R
Anyone here in the forum connects a Shure SM57 to the computer this way that has some recordings, so I can listen the quality?
Thanks
My Gear

Guitars:
- Ibanex GRX40
Amps:
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender Frontman 15R
Well, I record by standard computer soundcard, but I run an SM57 into an old 4 track mixer, use it as an EQ, then to my PC.
Hi, I'm Peter
A stock PC soundcard isn't the greatest. You might as well buy a multi track recorder for your application but it may not be that versatile.

I suggest getting an audio interface with a mic preamp for your SM57. You'd have to do a little bit of research to find out with one works best with your OS and stuff. In some cases you may not even have to use a mic. For some info on that, check out Line 6's toneport.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Look for the Tascam US-122, USB interface with XLR inputs should do you well.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
i use a sm57 into a mobile preamp and then to my computer via USB.

check the UG dmusic and my JSX
Quote by Dirk Gently
Of course it effects the quality, but recording straight into a stock PC soundcard (or even one that's slightly better than stock but not made for recording) won't give you great quality anyway. Essentially what you're doing is giving yourself a really expensive computer mic. Best quality for cheap would be go out and buy a small multitrack digital recording unit. Quality PC recording is comparably expensive.

Could you recommend a small multitrack digital recording unit?
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
Quote by supermc
Could you recommend a small multitrack digital recording unit?

i can

m-audio usb mobile pre. its 2 channel. and its USB so a good soundcard isnt really needed, they are 150 bucks on music123
cool...i'll check it out
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005