Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I made the terrible mistake of purchasing a Marshall MG30DFX about a year ago. Now I'm a HUGE Zakk Wylde fan, he's a big influence in my music. I've seen TONS of YouTube videos of pinch harmonics and I've been working on them since I started playing a year ago, and I can't seem to nail them like everybody else is. Now I think I've got the technique down...can it be because of my hardware? I've got a Jackson WRMG Warrior, a Zoom 505II multi-effect pedal and the MG30DFX. I was wondering if I were to purchase, let's say, a JCM800 would it really affect my pinch harmonics? Cause right now they're crap.

Please help!
I've got a Vox Pathfinder 10 watt buzzy sounding amp, and I have no problems with pinched harmonics.

Turn up the gain, use your bridge pickup and turn the tone knob to 10. Then once you get the right technique, try it with the neck pickup etc.
yeah just crank your gain and make sure you have a decent amount of high end going. if you have it down really good you can even do it on an acoustic... you'll barly be able to hear it and there no real point but it's doable.
no its not the amp ive got the MG30CD and i can do them fine on it
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
yep if you could practice them on an acoustic guitar cos theyre easier to hit the p.h on them and you can improve by knowing which places you can and cant hit the harmonics
Maybe, because I have a marshall avt100 and my harmonic sound pretty good and when I go at my friend's house, I play with his mg30 and the harmonics doesnt sound pretty good.
dont blame it on your equipment. if you learn to do pinch harmonics on crappy equipment, when you upgrade to better gear itll sound that much better.

its not just the picking technique, but also the position over the pickups so you get the harmonic at the right point of string vibration.
I have a yamaha ga-10 10w amp. ****ty to the max. no gain control at all, and real crappy distortion. i can pull off pinches just fine. its ur technique just work on it more, itll take a while to be able to pinch correctly but youll get there.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Dammit then why can't I get it...I just managed to hit a nice NATURAL harmonic with vibrato on the low E string on the 3rd fret, but that's the best I can do. I've been working on it for AGES, how come I'm not getting it right??

I've got the gain and contour all the way up on my amp, and I've got the highest gain setting on my mult-effects pedal as well!

*EDIT*
If anybody could maybe send me a sound clip of them pulling off some pinch harmonics on a SOLID-STATE amp (Preferabely something similar to mine) that would be very helpful!
Last edited by Pleiadian at Jul 13, 2006,
Um. It's you, not the equipment.
I can hit a pinch harmonic on an acoustic.
Hell, I can hit a pinch harmonic on a bass.

It's not all about the gear.
It's about how you're approaching the technique.
Keep practicing.
Spiral Out
WEll,

You've got to hit exactly the right spot, and not all of the frets produce even harmonics.
Try playing a G pentatonic scale starting on the 3rd fret.
Then try to make a pinched harmonic on the :

-------------------------
--------------6---------
---------5--------------
---5--------------------

(select your neck pickup en hit the string with the point of your pick and your thumb right above the middle of the neck pickup). It should be like plucking te string between your thumb and pick) be shure not to touch the string after hitting.
'I love to just get out and play ,you know; get out and play in front of people, I just get a real buzz out of it' , - ANGUS YOUNG - STIFF UPPER LIP
yeah as the guys above me have been saying, just crank your gain up, use the neck pick up and have some high end in there.

edit: i actually find pinch harmonics easier on acoustics, just cause you dont have to get them around the pick up for them to sound right, but granted electric pinchs sound much cooler haha.
Quote by lou_dog69
the moral of the story is keep your jizz covered fingers out of virgins vaginas... HOLY CRAP that explains how mary was a virgin!!! the bible finally makes sense
actually i find it easier to hit p.h with my bridge pickup. and for some reason i find it easier to hit p.h over the middle pickup on strats
Maybe if you'Re using the multi effect distortion, I have difficulty with my multi effect and with the amps distortion or a single pedal it's really easy
How should I practice the pinch harmonics?

Add them randomly when doing scales?

BTW, where should I do the pinch harmonics, because it produces a different sound depending on the position.

e.g. near the 24th fret, or over the neck pickups etc.
I don't think its the amp. I got a Marshall AVT100 and I have trouble doing pinch harmonics on it. I thinks it's all just technique.
Mine are best just in front of the bridge pickup, but it varies for guitars

I have an MG15 (unfortunately) and I can do them fine, you might wanna try Digging in harder on the string more aggressively like Zakk Wylde does
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
Also, if you have the technique, but can't play at high volume, get a compressor pedal, it helps sustain and bring out harmonics
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by HumanitysDeath
Um. It's you, not the equipment.
Hell, I can hit a pinch harmonic on a bass.

I just love peoples faces when i do that, they start looking for the guitar player.
I could do it on a squier sp 10 amp, squier strat, and even my acoustic. I wish people would shut up about their gear. You suck at it, practice.
Dickless.
Ok guys here's a question:
Let's say I'm doing a NATURAL harmonic, all right? On the 12th fret for example. Now to do a natural harmonic you don't actually fret, you just place your finger one the string above the 12th fret. Now my question is, do you do the same with pinch harmonics? Like for example the 2nd fret on the low E string. Do I actually fret or just place my finger on the string, do the pinch and then vibrato?
You gotta find the harmonic node.

When playing riffs, Zakk plays a harmonic fretting the 3rd fret. The point where he pinches would be above the middle pickup on a strat guitar, but since your guitar doesn't have a middle pickup, you gotta experiment. It's about one hands length in if you rest your palm on the bridge.
No, you fret the note, and then pinch it with your picking hand. And definetly add some vibrato.,
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Argh I just can't get it! I've been practicing for hours!
When I do a natural harmonic on the 3rd fret with lotsa gain and vibrato, it actually sounds like a very good pinch harmonic, but when I try to do it on the 2nd fret I get no harmonic at all
Its harder to do them that low down (John Petrucci does some really cool ones in some song on Metropolis 2000) but I'd advise doing it higher up the neck
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Dude search in YouTube for pinch harmonics or Zakk Wylde and you'll find tons of videos of people doing them really low, especially on the 2nd and 3rd fret. If you need some vids I'll post links...
crank up the gain and make sure your thumb and pick hits a harmonic at the same time. i have a carte gt65 and a crate gx15r and they both do squeels grate.. just like zakk wylde. I also have a jackson no pedals.

EDIT: they work best with bridge humbuckers.
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Quote by WillaimC
I just love peoples faces when i do that, they start looking for the guitar player.

i do it on my friends bass all the time. he gets pissy cause he cant do it
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
its more tenique (shut it, i know its wrong) than gear.
the closer to the neck pup you make the harmonic, the more it will sound like a ZW pinch.

SS or tube, it dont matter. i like the pinches i get out of my friends 15 watt spyder.
Quote by Pleiadian
Dude search in YouTube for pinch harmonics or Zakk Wylde and you'll find tons of videos of people doing them really low, especially on the 2nd and 3rd fret. If you need some vids I'll post links...

Were you talking to me? Because I can do them fine, I'm not the one with the problem, I was just saying that low down is probably a harder place to try and do them if you can't do them properly...anyway...
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Your tone can change how hard it is to get a perfect squeal out of your guitar, but it doesnt ever make it impossible. You want alot of gain for when your starting out, and then it's a matter of finding a spot your comfortable doing it in and mastering it in that spot, then continuing to another fret until youve got them all down. Thats what i did, at least

Also, use your treble bucker if youve got one, or just your bridge pickup. This makes it MUCH easier.
Where should I do the pinch harmonic? The pitch varies according to the position on where I play the harmonic?

Near the 24th fret? Over the pickups?
Quote by Pleiadian
Hey guys, I made the terrible mistake of purchasing a Marshall MG30DFX about a year ago. Now I'm a HUGE Zakk Wylde fan, he's a big influence in my music. I've seen TONS of YouTube videos of pinch harmonics and I've been working on them since I started playing a year ago, and I can't seem to nail them like everybody else is. Now I think I've got the technique down...can it be because of my hardware? I've got a Jackson WRMG Warrior, a Zoom 505II multi-effect pedal and the MG30DFX. I was wondering if I were to purchase, let's say, a JCM800 would it really affect my pinch harmonics? Cause right now they're crap.

Please help!

You do not have the technique down, if you did, you would hear it...

Only when you can pull a pinch harmonic "on command" on a acoustic or on a clean channel do you honestly have the technique down.

I can pull pinch harmonics and I have a solid-state. There is nothing in the gear that can make you either pull off or not pull off pinch harmonics. The only thing you can control is the gain, which only makes the harmonics more clear and present
Quote by theusedsk8er
You do not have the technique down, if you did, you would hear it...

Only when you can pull a pinch harmonic "on command" on a acoustic or on a clean channel do you honestly have the technique down.

I can pull pinch harmonics and I have a solid-state. There is nothing in the gear that can make you either pull off or not pull off pinch harmonics. The only thing you can control is the gain, which only makes the harmonics more clear and present

actually i do believe p.h are easier to hit on a acoustic then on a electric i can pull of p.h easily on strats with a high gain amp but clean channel is harder but you just gotta learn where to hit them
i have the mg30dfx...its not a very good amp but if you upgrade your amp it will make for a better overall sound...pinch harmonics are a technigque that just have to be worked on consistently until you master it
We're talking PINCH harmonics.
Not hitting octave harmonics. Those are natural harmonics.
You should crank the gain, Position the pick so your thumb isnt sticking out, but is close. Then use the bridge pickup with the tone knob cranked on treble, and the volume knob the whole way up.
Thats all there really is too it. Its easiest towards the top of the bridge pickup, but different places produce different pitches, Llike 1 octave, 2 octaves, an octave and a perfect fifth and so on.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
definitely not your gear, it's your techinique. i can do pinch harmonics without thinking on my SS amp.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Page 1 of 2