Hey ho
If i was playing over a song with the chords of Fm, Cm and Gm and the overall key of the song is Cm, should i focus on modes such as Locrian, Phrygian and Aelion as these are minor modes, or can i use scales such as F mixolydian and pentatonic patterns when playing over Fminor etc??
any help would be appreciated. thanks.
"What about the neighbours?? What they gonna say?? Stop little sister getting carried away" - SRV. The greatest guitarist of all time.
Quote by R_H_C_P

Evvo_gc_fan is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Quote by ScarredFaith

I liked it.
Is it about fucking?
exactly, since it's a minor based progression, you want a scale that is going to "bring out" the sound of the chords behind the lead by choosing a minor-based scale such as dorian, phrygian, aeolian, etc...you could also used pentatonic patterns, but i would suggest adding occasional scale tones to them as well to achieve the mood you want
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Well you can't just pick any mode with a minor third. That's just plain dumb.

If the song is in Cminor, play Cminor over it. Simple as that. Since the chords are specifically Cm, Fm, Gm, the key is C aeolian, making F the dorian chord and G the phrygian chord. So, if you want to play modally, play C aeolian over Cm, F dorian over Fm, and G phrygian over Gm. Sure, you could make the scales a bit more exotic with the occasional out of key passing note, but I'm assuming that you're not too good as of now with playing like this. Stick to Cminor...

It wouldn't make much sense to pick a mode like locrian and play it... the root of that mode in this key is D (as in, D is locrian in this key), and there are no D chords of any kind in your progression.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
Thanks. I'm quite pleased with myself cos i actually understood that. ^^. cheers
"What about the neighbours?? What they gonna say?? Stop little sister getting carried away" - SRV. The greatest guitarist of all time.
Quote by R_H_C_P

Evvo_gc_fan is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Quote by ScarredFaith

I liked it.
Is it about fucking?