im looking to buy a flanger, but will useing it for a bass change anything? like it will still sound good and all that? or are there flangers made just for bass?
yep
almost all effects cost a lot
if you dont wanna spend much money try the ones which cost around 20-30$
they arent certainly great but if you want the effect you better buy them
im a finger player

:quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTwoFoot
It's obvious that those songs were illegally downloaded, so Metallica wanted him to "ride the lightning," if you get my meaning.:quote:
Wh33y don buy one of those multi effect pedals, im not a great fan of em cos i know what i need and dnt need, but if u wanna experiment with them then go for it. i think they are also cab moders
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
The boss flanger costs that much??? It's nice to have a guitarist who doesn't use his effects :-) The boss does sound great, if you can afford it, i'd buy one. Sounds great and you have a lot of control over the sound/effect.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Charlatan_001
I don't imagine that a bass flanger would sound that great.

Try it!

I usually use my flanger with another effect, either distortion or an auto-wah.

With the distortion, you get that really cool aeroplane soundwhen you decrease the rate a lot.

Flanger sounds nice with auto-wah, because you have an effect when you strike the note (from the auto-wah), and a slight effect while the note is ringing (from the flanger).

It's nice just to add a bit of colour to your sound.
Quote by seljer
Doesn't the guy from Tool have a bunch of flanging going quiet often?

Justin's got a lot more than flangin going on

But yes, he uses that effect quite a bit, not as much as his Whammy Pedal though.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I hate having to use three effects. Well I don't have to, but to get the sound I want I need to use them. But if I played music like Tool I'd use a bunch of effects.

...by a bunch, I mean they'd be coming out of my ass...
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last edited by hatebreed219 at Jul 19, 2006,
Quote by hatebreed219
I hate having to use three effects. Well I don't have to, but to get the sound I want I need to use them. But if I played music like Tool I'd use a bunch of effects.

...by a bunch, I mean they'd be coming out of my ass...

Quote by 4string-tsurigi
a bunch seems like an understatement...

Yea, I love Justin's tones...he uses so many effects at different times sometimes you cant even percieve it because he uses them at seemingly awkward times, like during the middle of a chorus where his sound is buried under the drums and guitar or once or twice during a guitar solo...he makes some really intricate basslines with his effects and he doesnt only use em for solos...

I, however, have never used a single effect during a song that my band plays, I can never find out where to fit it to make it sound good...I guess thats a gift I just dont have
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
^^^^^Just by a synth wah...........lol, then kinda try and get a nice bridge bit to urself with it???
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
synth?...like the ones that produce the most freakishly outlandish sounds ever heard by human ears?...lol, or is a synth wah different?...I havent tried out many effects
I have the Digitech Synth Wah and it's crazy. You could fiddle with the knobs for weeks and still be suprised at what you find. 7 different types of wah/synth and 3 ways to control them, it's amazing. Plus it was only eighty bucks.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Flangers are pretty cool. I had a Digi-Tech one for a while. I got a lot of use out of using it in melodic pieces. I'd recommend to at least try one out.
Quote by hatebreed219
I have the Digitech Synth Wah and it's crazy. You could fiddle with the knobs for weeks and still be suprised at what you find. 7 different types of wah/synth and 3 ways to control them, it's amazing. Plus it was only eighty bucks.

Quote by rhcpbassist
Flangers are pretty cool. I had a Digi-Tech one for a while. I got a lot of use out of using it in melodic pieces. I'd recommend to at least try one out.

sounds good, I've been thinking of building a small pedal collection but was turned off by the expensive stuff like the Digi Whammy pedal and the Boss Flanger (each cost $200)...I'll look into the Synth Wah and the flanger, do you think the Digitechs sound good tonewise and are reliable?...I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Digitech products...
Well I have three Digitech stompboxes, The Bass Driver, The Synth/Wah and The Bass Squeeze (compression). I love them, in the music my band plays I have no need for the wah but I love it so much i can part with it. I drop them all the time and they all work great still. The paint's chipped on them but they still work fine. My only problem is they eat up batteries like it's their job...well...it kind of is. But I use power supplies and now I have no complaints about them. Versatile, reliable, solid, and relativley cheap considering how much Boss gear is.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^Awesome

I'll check some out next time I go gear shopping, btw how do you like that compressor?...I've played through the BassDriver and it was awesome, it gave me everything from light distortion to such a super fuzzy signal that I couldnt tell which notes I was playing!...but I've heard the soundclips of the Squeeze on the Digitech website and I couldnt really notice the difference between the dry signal and the affected signal...Do you think its worth its money?...Does it do a good job as a compressor?...I dont really know what to look for in a compressor and my Boss LMB-3 is just handles volume peaks and not much else so I want a different one...

thanks again for the info
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
sounds good, I've been thinking of building a small pedal collection but was turned off by the expensive stuff like the Digi Whammy pedal and the Boss Flanger (each cost $200)...I'll look into the Synth Wah and the flanger, do you think the Digitechs sound good tonewise and are reliable?...I've read a lot of mixed reviews about Digitech products...

Digi-Tech is good. Obviously, not insanely awesome with god like powers and fries on the side, but who in their right mind would drop $200 for an effect?

Get the one with the morph knob if you can. It was fun to use.
It's an awsome compressor, it changes my tone a lot actually. When I tried it out I didn't hear much of a difference, but i also only had to pay $18 for mine. I traded in another pedal and the Squeeze was used so it was only $50 to begin with.

It's amazing, they way I have it set it gives me a ton of bottom end and a lot of punch. Plus it keeps my VU meter from staying in the red. You can get a huge bottom boost or you can get a really punchy/treble-y sound. Having the lo end and high end controls is amazing and it tells you the min. and max. frequencies.

Overall, I say it's worth the money, I won't even play through my amp unless it's on now.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by rhcpbassist
Digi-Tech is good. Obviously, not insanely awesome with god like powers and fries on the side, but who in their right mind would drop $200 for an effect?

Get the one with the morph knob if you can. It was fun to use.

I'm thinking of sigging that....fries,

Quote by hatebreed219
It's an awsome compressor, it changes my tone a lot actually. When I tried it out I didn't hear much of a difference, but i also only had to pay $18 for mine. I traded in another pedal and the Squeeze was used so it was only $50 to begin with.

It's amazing, they way I have it set it gives me a ton of bottom end and a lot of punch. Plus it keeps my VU meter from staying in the red. You can get a huge bottom boost or you can get a really punchy/treble-y sound. Having the lo end and high end controls is amazing and it tells you the min. and max. frequencies.

Overall, I say it's worth the money, I won't even play through my amp unless it's on now.

hmm, sounds like a very useful piece of equipment...I like the fact that it can alter the tone more than other compressors, or at least my LMB 3...I think I'm gonna search for the squeeze on ebay, thanks again...
No problem, glad I can help.

And rhcpbassist, there's only one Digitech Synth/Wah and it has a Morph function on it. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying is all.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Ohhhhhhhhhh, I thought...yeah you know...nevermind. Sorry man.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Love you too. In a completely heterosexual way.....I think....
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Shh! Don't let anyone else know!

And I found, (what I think) is an example of a Flanger. Check out White Zombie's More Human Than Human. It sounds like a bass flanger in the begining.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730

hmm, sounds like a very useful piece of equipment...I like the fact that it can alter the tone more than other compressors, or at least my LMB 3...I think I'm gonna search for the squeeze on ebay, thanks again...

I Think i saw one for £35 or maybe £40, might get one.

Synth Wah coming 2morrow.........Yippee...............
Quote by IndianRockStar

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->