i've been looking into some strat shaped guitars and such (kinda wanna move away from the RG shapes) i was wondering have anyone found mexican strats any good for versatile genres such as shred, metal, classic rock, blues and such? with a pickup upgrade to some dimarzio's. would it become a decent strat to do all these things on it?
Quote by Holy Katana
God created man before creating woman, because you need a rough draft before you create a masterpiece.

Member #4 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM altronataku or apocalypse13 to join.
people will argue with this,but any guitar can be used for shred,les pauls,strats,etc etc...there are people who ive seen shred on strats,and you wont play good sounding metal with out a pick up change...i play on 2 strats,and i play blues,all the way to metal...and it works for me, the necks feel fine and are thin enough to solo and move around on the fret board..
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
i think so... i'm also looking for a versatile mexican strat... take a look at the HSS ones, i think they're very versatile... which dimarzio's did you have in mind?
Valencia CG-180 | Alhambra 7P | Epiphone Sheraton | Korg AX3G | Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Get an HSS strat and put a Tone Zone or SD JB in the bridge. Trust me killer combination.

I love the single coil/humbucker combination. So versatile.
either the yjm set or a fast track, megadrive and cruiser pups. because i'm thinking of trading in my tremonti SE for one you see.
Quote by Holy Katana
God created man before creating woman, because you need a rough draft before you create a masterpiece.

Member #4 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM altronataku or apocalypse13 to join.
Shred n' metal on a strat? Not unless you change the pickups, which you were already considering.

Mexican strats are great for everything UP TO metal. To reach metal and beyond, I'd recommend a Tone Zone, an Evolution, a Duncan Custom or Full shred in the bridge.
yea thats what i was also thinking off, mainly just change the 1st and 3rd pickup seeing on my cheapy strat those are the only ones i use. plus i was originaly turned to strats by a local hero of mine, steve forward ( www.steveforward.com ) he plays in a band called preacher and is the guitarists to britians best ozzy & lback sabbath tribute band he shreds up and down on strats like nobodys business.
Quote by Holy Katana

Quote by sashki
Shred n' metal on a strat? Not unless you change the pickups, which you were already considering.

Mexican strats are great for everything UP TO metal. To reach metal and beyond, I'd recommend a Tone Zone, an Evolution, a Duncan Custom or Full shred in the bridge.

Yngwie Malmsteen uses a strat, obviously not Mexican, but yeah.

But really all the parts are made in America and just assembled in Mexico.

However without some new pickups you can't really play metal as well as some other guitars. Or at all.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
Yes, you could mod it for that. With the new pups it should be fine.

Just try out a ton of MIM Fat Strats and pick the best sounding one. Put the new pups in and it will do metal and shred.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well i do use a metal master distortion pedal so that can give it some balls while i save up for some new pups
Quote by Holy Katana

Quote by punkMETALskater
people will argue with this,but any guitar can be used for shred,les pauls,strats,etc etc...there are people who ive seen shred on strats

one word.... Ywengie

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Mexican strats are very solid guitars that will serve you well with a pickup change.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...